How do I get rid of lock stick?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spydersense

How do I get rid of lock stick?

Post by Spydersense »

What's the cure aside from sending it back to the mother ship? Should I try to polish the contact points with a dremel? Knife in question is a Mantra 2.
Cujobob

Re: How do I get rid of lock stick?

Post by Cujobob »

No, do not polish. You can use sharpie or pencil 'lead' (graphite) on the blade tang.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Try to wipe it clean of any grease that may have come into contact with the lock face.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

One of my titanium liner locks I just opened it and closed it like 100 times. Seems to be getting better.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Tried cleaning it, tried pencil, opened and closed about 150 times, and no improvement yet. I'll keep flipping it over the next day or so and see what happens.
Studey

Post by Studey »

How long have you had it? In my experience, this more of a 'sorts itself out over weeks' issue as opposed to days.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I know this can be irritating to some people, but consider that a sticky lock is also a more secure lock. I'd much rather have one that takes a bit of force to break free, than one that can slide off the lock face.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Studey wrote:How long have you had it? In my experience, this more of a 'sorts itself out over weeks' issue as opposed to days.
Yeah, not long and was thinking this might be the case.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Evil D wrote:I know this can be irritating to some people, but consider that a sticky lock is also a more secure lock. I'd much rather have one that takes a bit of force to break free, than one that can slide off the lock face.
Good point.
attila

Post by attila »

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I just received a new Mantra 2, and the lockstick is rediculously strong. It's bad enough that the knife is unpleasant to operate.
Spydersense wrote: What's the cure aside from sending it back to the mother ship? Should I try to polish the contact points with a dremel? Knife in question is a Mantra 2.
Did you end up sorting out your lockstick issue? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Like others have said, open and close the knife a ton. The recent Para 3 I recieved, had a lot of lock stick. It's not the same as a frame lock, but the concept is similar. It took 3 weeks of opening and closing a LOT. Much more than 150. Probably closer to 500 or more.

Adjust the tension of the scale screws and pivot, I've eliminated lock stick by tightening or loosening screws. It's worth trying.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Sticky lock better than a slippy lock. I've had quite a few high end knives with a bit of stick. It'll go away or become less annoying over time.

I once had an Emerson that stuck so bad that I had to use pliers to disengage the lock.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Clean the lock face and blade tang with alcohol to remove any oil. Use a #2 pencil on th blade tang and lock face.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

attila wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:27 am
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I just received a new Mantra 2, and the lockstick is rediculously strong. It's bad enough that the knife is unpleasant to operate.
Spydersense wrote: What's the cure aside from sending it back to the mother ship? Should I try to polish the contact points with a dremel? Knife in question is a Mantra 2.
Did you end up sorting out your lockstick issue? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks!
I just got a mantra 2 on sale and it has no lock-stick whatsoever. It’s not inherent to the model, so maybe send it back and try again if it’s really bad
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

My GB2 was sticky. Use, cleaning and #2 pencil graphite soon resolved it.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

It's like new boots. You just have to break it in.

EDIT: I think it's a potentially big mistake to work on either of the mating surfaces with abrasives. Part of the break-in is the abrasion of those surfaces, but part of it is fatiguing the titanium of the lockbar. Don't get those processes out of sync.
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

I have lockstick on my favorite, the Spydiechef. Tried pencil, didn’t work very well. Already opened and closed it for half a year more than 25 times a day. Doesn’t break in. Sure the lock is secure, however I would like the lock to be a bit easier to open. My reference is the titanium framelock of the large sebenza. Very smooth and yet also secure. Hope they fixed this with the new CQI.