Harpy G10 Sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sully

Re: Harpy G10 Sprint

Post by Sully »

JD Spydo wrote: .... ..Because look how many very successful models now do very well with G-10 handles.

I think the fan base is there now without any doubt and a new G-10 Harpy I believe will blow away it's stainless handled counterpart.
That's the point that really hits home with me. I wouldn't even consider it with a Stainless handle, but G-10, especially SpyderNut's Dark Green version, I would buy. For sure. Never had a Harpy, but definitely count me in as part of the ever-growing "fan base," as described. Your Harpy enthusiasm here is pretty contagious!
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sully wrote:
JD Spydo wrote: .... ..Because look how many very successful models now do very well with G-10 handles.

I think the fan base is there now without any doubt and a new G-10 Harpy I believe will blow away it's stainless handled counterpart.
That's the point that really hits home with me. I wouldn't even consider it with a Stainless handle, but G-10, especially SpyderNut's Dark Green version, I would buy. For sure. Never had a Harpy, but definitely count me in as part of the ever-growing "fan base," as described. Your Harpy enthusiasm here is pretty contagious!
Hold on a minute "Sully" and let's not throw out a very usable baby with the proverbial bathwater>> because I'm definitely in your camp concerning the G-10 Harpy and it is my favorite Hawkbill that Spyderco has made up till now. But don't underestimate the stainless Harpy because it's still a decent workingman's knife any way you look at it. Oh I will admit that I would take a G-10 Harpy anytime over a stainless handled version but since they are not available I'm still glad I got a stainless version for a back up if nothing else. Because I use Hawkbills quite a lot anymore and the Harpy is a great model. And if they have success with a G-10 Harpy Sprint to the point it ends up back in the main line up then I wouldn't buy anything but a G-10 version.

Now there was one other Sprint version of the Harpy that was a great one and that was the Carbon Fiber version that was released in about 2005. The Carbon Fiber would be a great one to snag if you can't get a G-10 version.

But bottom line you're right that a G-10 Harpy would be superior to the stainless one. However if I couldn't get a G-10 model or a Carbon Fiber model I would still have a stainless handled one>> because the Harpy is just that good of a Hawkbill folder.
average-Joe

Post by average-Joe »

I love the stainless handled harpy. One of my first quality knives I purchased and its always been a winner.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I'm in. Would love to have one in brown, black, or foliage green G10. SE, PE, whatever. ;)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Sully

Post by Sully »

JD Spydo wrote:

Hold on a minute "Sully" and let's not throw out a very usable baby with the proverbial bathwater>> because I'm definitely in your camp concerning the G-10 Harpy and it is my favorite Hawkbill that Spyderco has made up till now. But don't underestimate the stainless Harpy because it's still a decent workingman's knife any way you look at it. Oh I will admit that I would take a G-10 Harpy anytime over a stainless handled version but since they are not available I'm still glad I got a stainless version for a back up if nothing else. Because I use Hawkbills quite a lot anymore and the Harpy is a great model. And if they have success with a G-10 Harpy Sprint to the point it ends up back in the main line up then I wouldn't buy anything but a G-10 version.

Now there was one other Sprint version of the Harpy that was a great one and that was the Carbon Fiber version that was released in about 2005. The Carbon Fiber would be a great one to snag if you can't get a G-10 version.

But bottom line you're right that a G-10 Harpy would be superior to the stainless one. However if I couldn't get a G-10 model or a Carbon Fiber model I would still have a stainless handled one>> because the Harpy is just that good of a Hawkbill folder.
JD, my apologies, in no way meant to toss out Stainless Harpy Baby! I have much to learn. I just know my Byrd Hawkbill has quickly (cost-effectively!) made me a real fan of the curved blade. To clarify, I just think the G-10 handle "grippiness" would make so much sense for a blade that excels in pull-cuts, as you already know. So really just agreeing with you, learning from this thread, liking the handle shape, thinking this G-10 Harpy would be a great step up for me. Hope it happens!
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Reject

Post by Reject »

Would guys be willing compromise on this a bit?
Instead of a Harpy sprint run, how about a Lil Matriarch Sprint run with G10 scales.

Before you dismiss the idea; let me put my reasons for this forward.

1. The other most requested sprint run is for the Delica G10
2. The Delica and Lil Matriarch are basically the same handle.
3. Built one handle; 2 sprint runs. Delica & Lil Matriarch.
4. The blades for both are in current production.
5. Do both plain and serrated blades and that is 4 sprints runs.
6. Change the scales to carbon fiber at some stage in the production and that is 8 sprint runs.

I am not sure how flexible Seki City are on these things and if they are willing to change parts during a sprint. But if Spyderco was doing all or some of these, it would be larger than the standard sprint run.

Built one handle for 8 sought after sprint runs; makes sense to me.
:o But what makes sense to me sitting in front of my computer on other side of the world; :rolleyes: may not make sense in the real world.
How much can a Koala bear?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Reject wrote:Would guys be willing compromise on this a bit?
Instead of a Harpy sprint run, how about a Lil Matriarch Sprint run with G10 scales.

Before you dismiss the idea; let me put my reasons for this forward.

1. The other most requested sprint run is for the Delica G10
2. The Delica and Lil Matriarch are basically the same handle.
3. Built one handle; 2 sprint runs. Delica & Lil Matriarch.
4. The blades for both are in current production.
5. Do both plain and serrated blades and that is 4 sprints runs.
6. Change the scales to carbon fiber at some stage in the production and that is 8 sprint runs.

I am not sure how flexible Seki City are on these things and if they are willing to change parts during a sprint. But if Spyderco was doing all or some of these, it would be larger than the standard sprint run.

Built one handle for 8 sought after sprint runs; makes sense to me.
:o But what makes sense to me sitting in front of my computer on other side of the world; :rolleyes: may not make sense in the real world.

All that makes sense, but I'd still rather have a Harpy handle. I'd still probably buy a Lil Matriarch in G10 though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I was wondering when someone would mention a G10 Lil' Mat! :D Heck, with them running a blue G10 Delica sprint at some point (right Sal, that's still on the table?), it'd be easy to use a different scale color and make some more of these awesome blades. This G10 Lil' Mat here is my #1 gardening knife. :) Cheers, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Compromise? NO!! I want a G-10 Harpy Sprint. I know I'm not alone with those sentiments as there are a lot of guys here and at Bladeforums both who have been waiting for a G-10 Harpy Sprint Run for years now. We Already have those other models you all have mentioned and they aren't that hard to obtain compared to the discontinued G-10 Harpy from the ATS-55 era. And in all due respect we hardcore Harpy fans have patiently waited almost 15 years or thereabout for another coveted run of the G-10 Harpy.

The G-10 Harpy is one of the very most coveted of all the old school Spyders out there. Even the used ones get snapped up quickly. Now I'm not at all hung up on color but I would at least like to see a VG-10 blade or better. If they do cave and do a run of them I do hope that they do a set in PE and maybe two runs in SE. The collectible aspects of such a run alone will make it well worth it for Spyderco and the End Line USER/COLLECTOR.

Ideal would be the Spyderedged version having a black or green G-10 hande and the PE version being done in blue G-10.
Reject

Post by Reject »

Sorry JD; :o I didn’t mean to blaspheme.

I do like the harpy and have a couple.

Image Image

I would love to see a Sprint run the Harpy.

It’s just that if Spyderco did produce a Sprint run Harpy, it would most likely be an updated model, much like the Worker Sprint was. I don’t think that is what you are looking for.

Harpy has already gone through an evolution in Merlin and Tasman. Both are little bigger than the Harpy. A sprint of the original Harpy would a real throw back in time.

I hope I am wrong; would love to get one.

Now JD; if didn’t like my last idea, you are really going to hate this one.

How about a new handle the same size as the Harpy G10 that would accommodate a remake of the Harpy and the Rookie. A little Delica maybe, cross between the Rookie, Delica and Jess Horne 11.

Make a great little gentleman’s knife.

I’ll go away now. Image
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:Sorry JD; :o I didn’t mean to blaspheme.

I do like the harpy and have a couple.

I would love to see a Sprint run the Harpy.
Nah!! I didn't take it as a "blasphemy" at all. And I understand you wanting another model that you think might serve you better. But please do understand>> The Harpy model is like a member on my body so to speak. It feels un-natural when I don't have a Harpy or some SE Hawkbill as a companion blade.

When they were talking last summer over at Bladeforums about the possibility of a Sprint Run HARPY even Sal himself chimed in and seemed favorable to the idea. I like the TASMAN and Merlin too for that matter but there is not a substitute for the "Real McCoy", TRUE-BLUE >> Harpy model. It has a rigid nature to it that is not equaled by any of the other Hawkbills in that size range. The blade is stout and a G-10 handle makes that model almost near perfect IMO.

I would also like to see a G-10 Spyderhawk as well. But that's another thread all together.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Well, in keeping with my role as devil's advocate on these forums, I have a question for JD :) : Have you actually tried to EDC a Lil' Matriarch and give it a good, honest side-by-side use comparison with the Harpy?

I'm not saying the Harpy isn't a cool knife, but the Lil' Mat's blade has the hawkbill shape you so want/like plus it has the back-end belly to really drive a strong, deep cut home. That bit of metal simply doesn't exist on the Harpy's blade. To me, the Lil' Mat is more like a hybrid between the Harpy and a good' ol SE bad boy like a Millie - best of both worlds.

Plus, the whole point about not having to retool to make more of the G10 Delica handles gives some edge to entertaining a G10 Lil' Mat sprint. But as I said, my job here is to fan the flames! ;) :D Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Well, in keeping with my role as devil's advocate on these forums, I have a question for JD :) : Have you actually tried to EDC a Lil' Matriarch and give it a good, honest side-by-side use comparison with the Harpy?

I'm not saying the Harpy isn't a cool knife, but the Lil' Mat's blade has the hawkbill shape you so want/like plus it has the back-end belly to really drive a strong, deep cut home. Cheers, Radioactive
To be outright totally honest about it>> No I haven't yet tried to EDC the Lil Matriarch as of yet. But I have EDCed my first generation VG-10 Matriarch on quite a few occasions and I love how it opened boxes and so forth>> Yeah I'm aware of how good a Reverse S blade can be with certain cutting jobs>> not to mention being a great SD knife as well. Hey the Lil Matriarch has been on my "gotta have" list for at least 3 months now ( Thanks to my friend SURF :D ) and as I get more summer contract jobs I am planning on getting both the SE & PE versions of the Lil Matriarch. No Brother I have a ton of respect for all of Spyderco's Reverse S blades. And I'm anxious to test drive the Lil Matriarch ASAP.

But I still want a G-10 Harpy. The one origjnal ATS-55 G-10 Harpy I EDCed for almost 8 years was literally like a good pal I could depend on. And I used that G-10 Harpy as an ideal companion back up blade for a long time. I still feel naked without it and it's been almost two years since it was stolen ( I'm sure now that's what happened to it) :( Hey as soon as I can swing it I'll make it the next on my list unless some of the others come up at extreme discount prices. No SURF already made me aware of how good the Lil Matriarch is and it's on my radar screen for sure ;)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would buy a G10 Lil' Matriarch in a split second. Make it plain edge and I would buy two. I wish there was a way to get the Lil' Matriarch out of it's big brothers shadows. It does not have the pronounced and delicate tip of its siblings and thus makes a far better EDC than either of them. It is time that the Lil Matriarch stands on it's own two feet as a well rounded EDC blade. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I would buy a G10 Lil' Matriarch in a split second. Make it plain edge and I would buy two. I wish there was a way to get the Lil' Matriarch out of it's big brothers shadows. It does not have the pronounced and delicate tip of its siblings and thus makes a far better EDC than either of them. It is time that the Lil Matriarch stands on it's own two feet as a well rounded EDC blade. :D
That isn't a bad idea BFK because my favorite EDC user knives mostly have G-10 handles. I just have a confidence in G-10 over most other handle materials. It just seems to have solid properties that you feel won't let you down. The maintenance for G-10 is relatively easy for cleaning and maintaining. If they give us a G-10 Harpy I'll help you all lobby for a set of G-10 Lil Matriarch models.
Reject

Post by Reject »

Did you know; Image that it is coming up to the 30th year anniversary of the Harpy.

From 1987 to 2017. The only way you can pick the difference between the first run and the current run? Are the bevelled edges, the boye dent and the blade steel.

( Botton Harpy is a later GIN-1 with bevelled edges. About 1996.)

This is a knife they got right the first time. It ran from then until now; unchanged.
You may say that the Police model is older and still in this years catalogue. But the Police is now in its 3rd generation, the Harpy is still generation 1.

Time for a 30th year anniversary model?

But what to do for a anniversary sprint?

You can’t do an updated Harpy like the Worker sprint; because there is nothing to change.

Could just engrave some of the current run with “30th anniversary model”?
No; Image not special enough.

Or; :rolleyes: Spyderco could do a sprint run of the G10 (and CF) models?
And correct the one mistake made; according to Spydiewiki there was never a PE Harpy G10.

ImageImage
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:From 1987 to 2017. The only way you can pick the difference between the first run and the current run? Are the bevelled edges, the boye dent and the blade steel.

This is a knife they got right the first time. It ran from then until now; unchanged.
You may say that the Police model is older and still in this years catalogue. But the Police is now in its 3rd generation, the Harpy is still generation 1.

Time for a 30th year anniversary model?
No they didn't get the Harpy entirely right the first time>> because it wasn't until years later that they came out with the G-10 Harpy and the Carbon Fiber Harpy. Now to me those two variants of the great Harpy model were far closer to being perfect than was the original stainless handled model IMO.

As far as function and overall EDC uses and feeling confident using it in wet environments I give my vote to the G-10 Harpy every time. It's now time for another G-10 Harpy and a 30th Anniversary coming up I think it would be highly proper to make that special edition a G-10 version.
Sully

Post by Sully »

Citing the 30th anniversary on top of so many insightful points is quite a strong angle for the creation of a G-10 Harpy. I'm still very much on board, for whatever that's worth. I am sort of a "tough sell." JD, you really make a persuasive case. While re-reading it all nodding in solidarity, I couldn't help but get a smile from, and actually root for you for, even just the following plea alone:
JD Spydo wrote:.... But please do understand>> The Harpy model is like a member on my body so to speak. It feels un-natural when I don't have a Harpy or some SE Hawkbill as a companion blade.
Silver for the 25th anniversary. Gold for the 50th. But...G-10 for the 30th Anniversary Harpy! :D

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sully wrote:Citing the 30th anniversary on top of so many insightful points is quite a strong angle for the creation of a G-10 Harpy. I'm still very much on board, for whatever that's worth. I am sort of a "tough sell." JD, you really make a persuasive case. While re-reading it all nodding in solidarity, I couldn't help but get a smile from, and actually root for you for, even just the following plea alone:
JD Spydo wrote:.... But please do understand>> The Harpy model is like a member on my body so to speak. It feels un-natural when I don't have a Harpy or some SE Hawkbill as a companion blade.
Silver for the 25th anniversary. Gold for the 50th. But...G-10 for the 30th Anniversary Harpy! :D
I just think it would be fitting to not only do a G-10 Harpy for a Sprint Run to celebrate it's 30th Anniversary>> but I wouldn't stop there because I would also like to see it done again in with one of the newer Carbon Fiber handles as well.

The one Carbon Fiber Sprint they did the Harpy with in the mid 2000 decade was just a bit on the slick side and I would like to see how one would handle with that one newer/better type of CF that has similar properties as G-10. I did like the original Carbon Fiber Harpy from that era and it was very solid and stout and I deeply regret trading it. But I used and carried my G-10, ATS-55 Harpy for almost 8 years before it was either lost or stolen >> and I believe it was the latter :mad: . There aren't that many knives that I actually grieved over like I did when I lost that G-10 Harpy and I won't shut up or give up until I get me another one.

I would love them to do a plain edged with a blue G-10 handle and a Spyderedged with a black>> similar to what they did with the first run VG-10 Spyderhawk models. The HARPY model is truly an icon and a stalwart model that I hope is always in the main line up for some time to come. From what I was told they didn't do the original G-10 Harpy in plain edge and this would be an opportunity to make that right IMO.