Unabridged Unapologetic Case for the Para Military 2 Left Hand *

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Unabridged Unapologetic Case for the Para Military 2 Left Hand *

Post by sal »

I spoke with Tom today and we were going over what changes would have to be made to the tooling since the last run (CQI).

sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Wow this might actually happen, I've got my fingers crossed! This righty is in for sure. Thanks for taking the time Sal.

Sorta related, sorta not..this thread had me thinking about that Simpsons episode where Flanders opens a left handed store. I couldn't help myself, had to go make this..

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
rmeron

Post by rmeron »

Great posting. My next Spyderco is going to be a PM 2(I am a righty). I'm not very good with my left hand but my Delica, Endura and Manix 2 LW I can survive with left handed.
Good luck finding a LH PM2.
Sully

Post by Sully »

sal wrote:I spoke with Tom today and we were going over what changes would have to be made to the tooling since the last run (CQI).

sal
Great to hear! Thanks, Sal...and Tom! Specific model being discussed or too early to say? So appreciated, regardless.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
Sully

Post by Sully »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Wow this might actually happen, I've got my fingers crossed! This righty is in for sure. Thanks for taking the time Sal
L.C., you are an Honorary Lefty, for sure. Welcome to the dark side!

Simpsons had to be referenced. Nicely done!
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

As a lefty, I am loving this discussion and news from Sal. If this comes to fruition, which it sounds like it will, I believe it will be a lifetime knife for many Lefties. That being said, why don't we go all in and do an awesome steel? LH Para in K390?
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

If they make them, I will buy one. Don't care in the least what steel is used. I have a regular PM2, but between it being a smidge on the large side for my preferences and the lock being so much nicer in the right hand than the left - I mean, I can operate it left-handed, but my less-coordinated right hand can operate it better - I find I rarely use it. A lefty PM2 would still be that smidge bit large, but with the lock the other way about I'd wager the knife would just alter my size preference.

I always feel a bit torn on this issue. I'm eternally grateful to Spyderco for all the great fully ambidextrous lockback and BBL designs. Between the Native, Delica/Endura, and Caly families with the Sage 4 and Manix tossed in, I won't ever lack for excellent pocket cutting tools. But on the other hand, every year I look through Mr. Blonde's photographic tour de force thread and think "Liner lock....liner lock....frame lock....liner lock....frame lock....frame lock....sigh." I know I could just adapt to the right-handed locks, but for the kind of money the collaboration models sell for I'm not willing to compromise. I understand it's just not feasible from a business perspective to produce lefty-specific models of every design, but I can't help but feel a little wistful looking through the catalog at designs that are exactly the sort of knife I like but are horribly right-handed (C153G Des Horn I'm looking at you!) Ah well, at least I save money this way.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Apparently the lefty millie could be brought out quickest because the only parts that would require retooling would be the ones which have had CQI changes since the last lefty millie. There seems to be a big demand for a lefty millie now, but the PM2 is currently so popular, I think a lefty PM2 would sell even quicker than a millie... the downside being that the designing, tooling, working it into the booked up facilities, etc, could take at least a couple of years IMH(LH ;) )O.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
PM1

Post by PM1 »

For what it's worth, I'm in for one (or two) if Spyderco decides to to a lefty run of the PM2.

I would like to mention, however, that since I may never have the opportunity again to get a true lefty model, I do hope that Spyderco would pair the knife with a special/memorable steel. If they are going to make lefties feel appreciated, why not go all the way and make a truly drool-worthy knife?

My vote on color is orange or green.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I feel for you lefties. It would frustrate me to no end if I were left out (pun not intended, but definitely appreciated) of a party just because my body works slightly differently than the majority. And the PM2 is definitely a party. I've been thinking about it a lot lately during commutes and other droning tasks that allow my mind to wander. While I understand the PM2 is not for everyone, it has to have the most loyal and enthusiastic following of any model. Before I explode into long form (I'll save that for another day for sure), I think it's safe to say that if any hand-biased model needs to be adapted to accommodate the minority, it is the PM2.

Though I don't know. My PM2's clips are set up for right handed carry and operation, and the clip is integral to the way I manipulate the lock. I imagine if I swapped them to the other side (too much effort :rolleyes: ), it would be much less awkward to use my left thumb to work the lock. Maybe it isn't as biased as a liner or frame lock. Maybe it is quasi-ambidextrous, it just works differently in either hand. Still, the PM2 has obviously hit a sweet spot with its design and I'd love to see lefties able to enjoy that sweet index finger pinch just as much as the rest of us average folk. ;)
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Clip

Post by Clip »

First time seeing this thread, and I am highly impressed with the way things are turning out.

Great job Sully for arguing the case, and a huge thanks to all in Golden who have taken the time to consider this plea for a knife that caters to such a small but dedicated population.

As a fellow lefty, I've had very few options besides using a completely ambidextrous system (back locks, bearing locks) or a dedicated left-hand liner/frame lock. Sure I've coped with all the right-hand locks, but just like when I use a circular saw it doesn't feel the best.

I do prefer a liner/frame lock and this situation has left me with my well-used, well-loved Military, or a small assortment of more expensive knives by other manufacturers. Still I continue to come back to the Military for the very reason others on this forum choose to pocket Spydercos every day. Great ergonomics, excellent cutting performance, solid reliability, and the clearly tangible support of the company behind the product.

I definitely support another LH-specific model, whatever that may be. Thanks for considering it!

Native50

Post by Native50 »

Agree 100% Sully!

As a LH myself whose first Spyderco knife was in fact the PM2 I can attest to the fact that disengaging the lock with my thumb (LH) as opposed to my index finger is a bit less consistent for me.

As a matter of fact this is my only complaint about the PM2, and in my case it's a minor thing ... but a LH version would be something I'd jump on.

EDIT: Oops, just tried my PM2 again with both hands... thumb is used regardless of hand ... right handers PUSH the release with their thumb...us lefties have to PULL the release ... I've learned to do it either way ...
Last edited by Native50 on Thu May 19, 2016 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

I'm all for a Para-Military 2 Lefty since I'm left-handed myself but how about putting moon glow side scales on it?
Last edited by Mikael Andersson on Thu May 19, 2016 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikael Andersson

NiallRiv wrote:As a lefty, I am loving this discussion and news from Sal. If this comes to fruition, which it sounds like it will, I believe it will be a lifetime knife for many Lefties. That being said, why don't we go all in and do an awesome steel? LH Para in K390?
I would prefer a steel with some corrosion resistance like S35VN.
PM1

Post by PM1 »

Mikael Andersson wrote: how about putting moon glow side scales on it?
Since this is a one-time knife that would have to appeal to many people, I would like to see scales that are not gimmicky. A nice popular colour scale and an upgraded steel: a classic design that will endure through time.
Clip

Post by Clip »

I think CTS-XHP in a black canvas or linen Micarta would be a tasteful combination.

Edit:

To be honest, I'd buy any mix of steel and handle. Even if it were the tried and true black G10/S30V combo again.
Mikael Andersson

PM1 wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote: how about putting moon glow side scales on it?
Since this is a one-time knife that would have to appeal to many people, I would like to see scales that are not gimmicky. A nice popular colour scale and an upgraded steel: a classic design that will endure through time.
I think that it looks cool and it's a nice color even when it's not glowing.
Mikael Andersson

Clip wrote:I think CTS-XHP in a black canvas or linen Micarta would be a tasteful combination.

Edit:

To be honest, I'd buy any mix of steel and handle. Even if it were the tried and true black G10/S30V combo again.
Why not S35VN?
Clip

Post by Clip »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
Clip wrote:I think CTS-XHP in a black canvas or linen Micarta would be a tasteful combination.

Edit:

Why not S35VN?
Personal preference. Any number of steels in this category would be suitable. S30V, S35VN, BD30, Elmax, etc. I simply picked Carpenter's XHP as it performs like a more corrosion-resistant D2 and meets the requirements of a decent knife steel without breaking the bank or demanding special care. Just like S35VN, etc, etc.
Sully

Post by Sully »

Native50 wrote: ... but a LH version would be something I'd jump on......
[
PM1 wrote:For what it's worth, I'm in for one (or two) if Spyderco decides to to a lefty run of the PM2.

I would like to mention, however, that since I may never have the opportunity again to get a true lefty model, I do hope that Spyderco would pair the knife with a special/memorable steel. If they are going to make lefties feel appreciated, why not go all the way and make a truly drool-worthy knife?

My vote on color is orange or green.
NiallRiv wrote:As a lefty, I am loving this discussion and news from Sal. If this comes to fruition, which it sounds like it will, I believe it will be a lifetime knife for many Lefties. That being said, why don't we go all in and do an awesome steel? LH Para in K390?
Clip wrote:..... a huge thanks to all in Golden who have taken the time to consider this plea for a knife that caters to such a small but dedicated population. .......

I definitely support another LH-specific model, whatever that may be. Thanks for considering it!

I agree wholeheartedly! Really great to see such positive, enthusiastic responses continuing. Hopefully another true Spyderco LH isn't too far off. Hopefully we'll soon get an update from Sal?

As far as personal preference, my hope is still strongly for a <3.5 blade with non-basic-black scales. Green would be awesome! Polished G10, Micarta, Linen, fluted Ti, whatever. I do like Clip's idea of CTS-XHP or another high quality steel. As NiallRiv and PM1 point out, we're talking about a very special Lifetime Knife for many lefties.