Give a Native as a gift.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Give a Native as a gift.

Post by benben »

I'm thinking about buying my Pastor a FRN Native as a gift, maybe even getting it engraved/personalized? My question is which is the toughest steel, S35VN or S110V? He is definitely a non knife person as far as I know so no telling what he may do with this knife. There is a $27 difference between the two steels at the Cutlery Shoppe. Which would you buy?
Joris Mo

Re: Give a Native as a gift.

Post by Joris Mo »

I believe there is also still the forum knife in burgundy FRN with S90V but I would probably go for S35VN, keep it "simple".
The fancier steels will be harder to sharpen as well and this is great for a user.
APS

Post by APS »

S35 for a non knife person.
paladin

Post by paladin »

I agree with Joris, go with the s35vn, it's a great steel, a breeze to touch up on the Sharpmaker, it's lower cost, and if you're Pastor is a reasonable, responsible NKP it will last him till the afterlife, in all likelyhood ;) :)

nice gift & gesture! :D :spyder:
benben

Post by benben »

Thanks everyone ! Maybe I should rephrase the NKP description. I know he don't own a Spyderco knife and is always interested in which ever one I have in my pocket. He's definitely a man's man ! I took him and his wife shooting several times and he's just recently got his CCW permit. He also is responsible for putting in place a great security program for our church and takes it very serious, we have a lot of children in our youth program. I'm sure you guys are right in getting the S35 Native, makes more sense. Was really concerned about rolling and chipping, as far as sharpening, I sure I will be doing that.

Thanks for the comment paladin !
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

If you can swing it I would go with the G10 S35VN Native. I had a lightweight one and didn't keep it. The clip does not line up with the smoother Spyderco logo and always grabbed my pants. Also don't like the clip and ergos as much as the G10. They look the same but feel different. I wasn't sure if I would like the G10 much when I got it but it has become an EDC favorite. Especially for church on Sunday.

Either way it is a thoughtful gift and will be a great introduction to Spyderco for him.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Native would be a great gift but get the S35VN blade. The knife is small enough to carry and big enough to use. I favor the Delica but the Native is really nice and has the more advanced lock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

I debated this recently and got the S110V because I liked the blue handle :) Love the knife!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

S35Vn will be fine for any none-knife person and for most knife people as well. I EDCed S35Vn Native5 for couple years and was happy with steel
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
benben

Post by benben »

rybu0305 wrote:If you can swing it I would go with the G10 S35VN Native. I had a lightweight one and didn't keep it. The clip does not line up with the smoother Spyderco logo and always grabbed my pants. Also don't like the clip and ergos as much as the G10. They look the same but feel different. I wasn't sure if I would like the G10 much when I got it but it has become an EDC favorite. Especially for church on Sunday.

Either way it is a thoughtful gift and will be a great introduction to Spyderco for him.
Thanks rybu0305 and I agree, that's the Native I own. I just wanted the keep the weight down as low as possible, he almost always has on some kind a dress pants, hardly ever jeans. From the description I gave, and as a gift is there another model I should maybe take a look at? I just really wanted to get him a Golden made knife but if doesn't have to be. Delica?
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

benben wrote:I'm thinking about buying my Pastor a FRN Native as a gift, maybe even getting it engraved/personalized? My question is which is the toughest steel, S35VN or S110V? He is definitely a non knife person as far as I know so no telling what he may do with this knife. There is a $27 difference between the two steels at the Cutlery Shoppe. Which would you buy?

I gave my father in law one . Hes really liking it
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

If you're considering other knives besides the lightweight N5, it depends if you'd like to go bigger, smaller or stay the same size. Personally, the knife I think most NKP would appreciate the most and actually use is a CF Chaparral. Moving up to a CF/G10 from FRN really makes Spydies much classier IMHO.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
zacmangray

Post by zacmangray »

I am also giving the Native as a gift. I am giving my two younger brothers each one. I think it is all round a great use knife, and is a good choice for those you know will respect and appreciate a knife as a gift.
:spyder: LWManix2s110v,MuleTeamCPM4V,Dragonfly,
DLCorangePM2XHP,PurpleDragonfly,PurpleDelica,BBCEDelica,Caly3,BBManix2,DBs110vManix2 :spyder:
remnar

Post by remnar »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:... Personally, the knife I think most NKP would appreciate the most and actually use is a CF Chaparral. Moving up to a CF/G10 from FRN really makes Spydies much classier IMHO.
I agree with RS 100%. Chap 1! :)
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Its a little bigger but the lightweight Manix with 110V would be a good choice. Too bad there isn't an s30v Manix LW The wire clip is sleek and not easily noticed. Weight won't be an issue at all. I carry a LW Manix in gym shorts and other lightweight pants and don't even notice it. I really with wish the Native LW had the normal hour glass clip. I really don't like the triangle clips, mainly because they make the knife ride even higher. As I said before though, either way it is a thoughtful gift and will be a great introduction to Spyderco for him.

benben wrote:
rybu0305 wrote:If you can swing it I would go with the G10 S35VN Native. I had a lightweight one and didn't keep it. The clip does not line up with the smoother Spyderco logo and always grabbed my pants. Also don't like the clip and ergos as much as the G10. They look the same but feel different. I wasn't sure if I would like the G10 much when I got it but it has become an EDC favorite. Especially for church on Sunday.

Thanks rybu0305 and I agree, that's the Native I own. I just wanted the keep the weight down as low as possible, he almost always has on some kind a dress pants, hardly ever jeans. From the description I gave, and as a gift is there another model I should maybe take a look at? I just really wanted to get him a Golden made knife but if doesn't have to be. Delica?
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
benben

Post by benben »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:If you're considering other knives besides the lightweight N5, it depends if you'd like to go bigger, smaller or stay the same size. Personally, the knife I think most NKP would appreciate the most and actually use is a CF Chaparral. Moving up to a CF/G10 from FRN really makes Spydies much classier IMHO.
That's a excellent idea, I have a S30v version that I rarely carry, usually just to church. Looks brand new, I feel my cheap side coming out !!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

APS wrote:S35 for a non knife person.

Yeah I would also tend to go with S35V as well. Because if he did attempt to sharpen it he would have a nightmare of a time trying to sharpen S110V>> he's going to have a tough enough time sharpening S35V as it is IMO.

And you should be prepared to offer to sharpen it for him as well because "non-knife" people really don't usually have a clue as to properly sharpen even a cheap knife much less a blade with one of these newer space aged steels. But I do think that's a great gesture of you to be that kind of friend to your Pastor because they do indeed have a demanding job and anyway you can make his life easier I think that's great.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Benben, I think it is great that you are doing this for your pastor. Most people do not realize how stressful a pastor's job really is. Unless they cut themselves off from the people using the corporate model, most pastors get yelled at, lied about, threatened, as much as they are appreciated, loved, and respected by others. So, kudos to you.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
benben

Post by benben »

Hey thanks guys, with this pastor maybe I should get him two knives !? Doc, it's funny (well not really) those things you mentioned, I'm 50 and this is my second go round as a deacon in our church, first time with this pastor. The first time, which was my first time actually being a deacon my eyes were opened so wide as to how a church is ran. Think business ! And as with anything involving people you will NEVER make everyone happy, EVER !

He's very smart, funny, and fairly young to be a pastor at a church as large as ours, mid forties. With the not so fun situation that happened to the previous pastor (ask to resign) this new pastor started with his back against the wall but has really turned our church in a great direction ! This deacon board has this pastor's back and it's good to be in a church that's healthy again ! Thanks JD & Doc Dan, you both couldn't be more right !

Guess I need to go straight the the Cutlery Shoppe website and put something in the cart !