Change to Techno scale finish?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Studey

Change to Techno scale finish?

Post by Studey »

I recently got a Techno. I've had a couple, but didn't hold onto them. Anyways, the design called me back, but when I received it, I was surprised to see that the scales were noticeably darker than on my precious knives. The others' scales had a color that was very similar to the blade, whereas this is much darker and has a 'less stonewashed' look to it.

Additionally, it's the first Spyderco Ti frame lock I've ever gotten that has had lock stick. I'm hoping it wears itself in, as my others didn't have any at all, and this has a bit less of that precise feel I've come to expect from the Taichung models.

Anyone else notice this or have one like it? The color doesn't bother me, just interesting, but I'm a bit dismayed at the lock stick. I've come to expect the Taichung models to be near-perfect, as they're just that well made.

Liquid Cobra

Re: Change to Techno scale finish?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

You know that does look like it has less of a stonewash. My Techno is one of the S30V versions so it won't be the same generation as yours but I'll have a look to compare.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
knolan

Post by knolan »

My Techno is several years old now and is as you described your earlier version(s) with scales a very pronounced stone wash only a shade or two darker than the blade. Your new Techno scales almost appear to be a manuf'd in a similar process as the Sage 2, or perhaps the Mantra (1&2)...kind of that same homogeneous sterile look? Not sure I like it as much?

Sorry to hear your impression is one of diminishing precision build quality and lock stick, especially since I always felt the Techno was one of the best examples of Taichung's craftsmanship. Sure hope it's not a trend...
Studey

Post by Studey »

knolan wrote: Sorry to hear your impression is one of diminishing precision build quality and lock stick, especially since I always felt the Techno was one of the best examples of Taichung's craftsmanship. Sure hope it's not a trend...
To be clear, I do NOT feel that the quality has diminished. Apart from the stick, this Techno is absolutely spot on (other being a bit stiff, as it's a new knife). The build, machining, grinds, are all spot on...even the edge bevel is perfectly matched from side to side. What I meant was that I was surprised that the knife had any issue at all, as thus far, every Taichung Spydie I've handled has been so well built that I have full confidence in getting one that's essentially perfect!
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I've had lock stick on a few Spyderco framelocks and it always went away. I wouldn't be concerned there.

I would really have to see it in person to compare because lighting really changes how knives appear in pictures. My Techno has a noticeable stonewash but it has fairly dark scales, too. Maybe the stonewash wasnt as effective on yours.
LC Kid

Stonewash Rules!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

My Techno came home on the first generation, back in early 2012. It has a gorgeous heavy stonewash scale finish, which had only improved with time, giving it today an even shinier-heavier-darker than before. :spyder:

It obviously made a huge contrast with my Sage 2, which is sandblasted but considerable grayer, not even close in darkness as the Techno.

When I got my Slysz Bowie back in 2014, my first impression was how the stonewash finish looks when new against the well seasoned Techno, and it really claims pocket time in order to get that nice used finish ASAP. :D

Regarding the OP that pic looks to me more like the Sage 2 gray than my Techno when new. Maybe less stonewash time now in the 3rd - 4th Techno Gen? :rolleyes:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I agree OP that your techno resembles the finish on my mantra. My techno doesn't look like yours as it had a nice stone wash finish. Mybe someone from Spyderco can comment. Is this a CQI air cost saving thing? Or just a fluke that made it through QC.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Studey

Post by Studey »

I'll get a shot with my Southard and Slysz Bowie. Like I said, not particularly concerned with the change, but interesting. Definitely surprised me when I opened the box.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Studey wrote:
knolan wrote: Sorry to hear your impression is one of diminishing precision build quality and lock stick, especially since I always felt the Techno was one of the best examples of Taichung's craftsmanship. Sure hope it's not a trend...
To be clear, I do NOT feel that the quality has diminished. Apart from the stick, this Techno is absolutely spot on (other being a bit stiff, as it's a new knife). The build, machining, grinds, are all spot on...even the edge bevel is perfectly matched from side to side. What I meant was that I was surprised that the knife had any issue at all, as thus far, every Taichung Spydie I've handled has been so well built that I have full confidence in getting one that's essentially perfect!
Ah...good, glad I misunderstood re the overall quality aspect!