Unabridged Unapologetic Case for the Para Military 2 Left Hand *

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sully

Unabridged Unapologetic Case for the Para Military 2 Left Hand *

Post by Sully »

* No Righty Spydies will be harmed in the making of this case.

(The following is definitely more of an in-depth opinion essay than a quick question. Proceed at your discretion.)

I want to start by thanking Sal, Eric, the entire Spyderco design team for all the many ambidextrous options (esp. the Chaparral). Spyderco back locks and BBLs work flawlessly, in form and function. Yet an even more impressive attribute, I believe, is that they embody a firmly held Spyderco principle: Inclusivity.

No surprise, I'm a lefty. Make no apology for it. ****, I embrace it. Proudly.

It ain't all rainbows and Rubicons. For me, poring over the latest catalog or scrolling down "Mr Blonde's" highly-anticipated Amster-****-that's-cool thread inevitably becomes a somewhat disheartening process of elimination. (LinerLocked-out again, nooo!) So many state-of-the-art dedicated right hand options. So, so many. Sure, the standard back lock classic beauties are always well represented; maybe an updated configuration of the must-have Manix some years; even a bright blue Sage 3 once. Don't get me wrong, I truly appreciate all the innovative, lust-worthy feats of design built into these predominantly right-handed gems. I'm just not willing to perform "parlor tricks" to deftly manipulate a "wrong-handed" folder. (phraseology credits: "The Deacon")

Could I adapt to a "wrong-handed" folder? Or overcome occluded Spyderholes? Of course I could. All lefties adapt daily. Just don't want to. Not here. Not at these price points. Don't want to have to think "compromise" when I choose a Spyderco. Moreover, it is completely counterintuitive for any meticulously designed handheld implement created for precise functionality to be held intentionally in the opposite hand than the specific one for which it was painstakingly ergonomically designed. Right??? Whoooops! I meant, please agree at least a lil' bit.

I believe it was 2009 when the Military Left Hand was released. So very cool of Sal & co. to offer a true lefty folder again. Talk about "walking the walk" in regard to being fully customer-focused. With that one decision alone, CQI, itself, got an upgrade: Constant Quality Inclusivity! Jealous of all of you lucky (read: smart) enough to be holding a Lefty Millie. I, too, grasp this monumental creation of balance. But only conceptually. See, Spyderco popped up on my radar about four years ago. I missed out. Now when a Lefty Millie appears for resale, it's Mamba-priced. One day…

To be completely honest, I don't even want another black G-10 knife. Too generic for my taste. The 4-inch Millie blade is also a bit too large for my urban use and carry. And I know I'm not at all alone in these opinions. Yet, if Spyderco does rerelease C36GLE (as Sal may have hinted/tooling exists), of course I'd still buy it up faster than a Caly Super Blue Sprint.

Thanks for reading all that preamble. There hasn't been a "Lefty" thread here in quite a while, probably because it's not the most handedly correct view to voice openly in mixed company. In lieu of any flowery apology for my incorrectness, I'm doubling down on appreciation. And I'd be a fool not to appreciate how Spyderco Forumites seem to be as unanimously generous in exalting the Para Military 2 as you all are in sharing your profound expertise. Enablers, I am sold!

Well, sort of.

PARA MILITARY 2 LEFT HAND

The compression lock and the PM2 platform do seem to be the two most quintessential Spydie Gotta-have-its these days. What a strong statement to ALL Spyderco loyalists it would be to offer the PM2 specifically designed for loyal lefty customers as well. Just one glorious PM2LH would be a timely, unambiguous lefty invitation to the Spydie Party – and so appreciated! Green polished G-10 is fine by me. Even Natural G-10, highly adaptable (a lefty trait). How about fluted Ti with 'greened' anodizing? Green C-tek? Oh yeah, I'm also an unapologetic green junkie. Ideal steel choice? I'm still too green, I trust you HRC-OCD gurus on steel selection waaaay more than myself.

If Sal is just not feelin' the love for a PM2LH … (Eric?!) … how about adding some "LH" to the coming-soon-ish Minuteman? Or fire up the Devil's Yojimbo 2?! Southpaw Southard? Truth be told, any true LH Spydie would be… Nirvana!!! Maybe Sal and Eric would agree to a pow wow with "The Deacon" and "Mr Blonde" – both Spyderco stalwarts and fellow SOUTHPAWS! I'd buy with both hands whatever came out of that meeting of the Spyderco minds. (IMHO new knife name: Spyderco Blonde Deacon)

I'm no savvy Spydie collector, but wouldn't the rarity, reverse design, and inherent positive provenance of such a unique piece also make it really stand tall in even the most extensive collection? Righties, we need your help here! If not for your awe-inspiring Spydercollection, how about just one masterfully crafted for your other hand? Watch the movie 127 Hours – true story about hiker Aron Ralston caught between a rock and a hard place (literally) – then tell yourself that you couldn't imagine ever wanting a Spyderco for your left hand.

That's my case… in a verbose nutshell. Thank you for your patience and consideration. Hopefully some of you will choose to discuss it, refine it, (edit it!), come up with an even better true Left Hand Spyderco. Lefties, please make yourselves heard here, too!

Overly Righteous One, feel free to scratch that itch of yours to want to gut this glorious green grail o' mine. (No irritant, no pearl.) Taking it that silly step further and presumptuously self-appointing yourself as Sal's Chief Business Protector, however, is just not warranted here. This respectful, impassioned plea is the furthest thing from any sort of attack on Spyderco and it's beyond-honorable business practices; I just really don't want to be forced to buy a $ebenza! Plus, Sal and Eric (+/-Michael Janich) are quite capable of protecting themselves. Most likely they have a sharp knife or two handy.

One for each hand, I hope.

Sully
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
The Deacon

Re: Unabridged Unapologetic Case for the Para Military 2 Left Hand *

Post by The Deacon »

I'd just add, in response to those who will inevitably opine that the compression lock is "hand neutral". Horsepucky!!!!! When the Gunting came out, with the lock on the other side because Bram Frank thought it "better" that way for right handed users, many in the right handed community whined.

That said, I'm not sure I'd find a left handed PM2 any more appealing than a right handed one. Trim the blade thickness down to 2mm, get rid of the bubble butt, and maybe, but as currently configured it's just bloated and unappealing.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Bravo on the well-articulated post, Sully. :) I enjoyed reading it and can certainly see your point regarding the limited offering of dedicated left-handed knives. Perhaps Sal and Eric would take this into consideration for the new PM3?
I'm with Paul regarding the PM2. God knows I want to love this design, but it just hasn't tripped my trigger. It is simply just too big for my daily needs. I'm looking forward to the PM3, though, as well as the smaller Native. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

From a right handed PM2 fan, I think it would be a great idea to make a left handed PM2. (and/or a PM3)
I'm a big fan of the compression lock in general so I think it would be very nice for the lefties out there to really be able to appreciate that lock the way it is/should be for them.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm right handed, but I like what I'm hearing Sully. Seems like if there was a model to get the left handed treatment it certainly should be the PM2. I'd buy one just to try it out!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I think it's wonderful we now live in a world where sinistrists can be open and not tarred 'n' feathered as in league with the Horned One.....I mean, in Somerset you can still be run to the country border by the town sheriffs for being persistently left-handed without a note from your doctor*

Kudos to you sir....and why not a leftie PM2?

*Note- I might've just made that up :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

I can use my pm2 just fine in both hands
Sully

Post by Sully »

SpyderNut wrote:Bravo on the well-articulated post, Sully. :) I enjoyed reading it and can certainly see your point regarding the limited offering of dedicated left-handed knives. Perhaps Sal and Eric would take this into consideration for the new PM3? I'm with Paul regarding the PM2. God knows I want to love this design, but it just hasn't tripped my trigger. It is simply just too big for my daily needs. I'm looking forward to the PM3, though, as well as the smaller Native. :)
Not that anyone is ready to read another word from me... but "Thanks" for the early positive book review, Spydernut! :) Reading between the (many) lines, you'll see I have at least one left foot firmly planted in Paul's/The Deacon's Camp, too. More than a case of tunnel vision for a PM2LH, I'm just jonseing to hold a truly awesome SpydieLH!

Sounded almost like The Deacon unintentionally floated out a few design ideas there. Here's to hoping Mr Blonde gets on the same page (eh, Mr Blonde?). I'd pre-order a Blonde Deacon sight unseen the instant Sal (or Eric?) gave it his blessing.

Thanks to all supportive and willing-to-experiment Righties.

Sully
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sully,

I'll present your case to Eric, Tom (Factory manager), Kelly (Sales Manager), Susan (Purchasing manager and Ben (Controller). With our current Golden factory operating at full tilt and the schedule out 6 months, It certainly cannot be put on a schedule for immediate production.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

You can still find Left Handed Militaries on the secondary market for trade or for sale... for a reasonable price.

I think I got one from someone on Bladeforums, I don't remember how much I paid, but I think it was less than the price of a production right handed version.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Sully

Post by Sully »

Hello Sir!

So happy to be heard, there are no words (left). I'll go with a most sincere "THANK YOU!"

I do understand. Of course I am more than willing to wait, especially for a GOLDEN LH! I have this strange-yet-comforting feeling that Eric will want to champion this Lefty cause. Tom and Kelly, well, they probably want my head on a platter. Ahhhh worth it, at least it will be a very clean cut.

A random update along the way here from Eric would.... be too much to ask. So I won't.

Stayin' $ebenza-free,

Sully

Sully

Post by Sully »

sal wrote:Hi Sully,

I'll present your case to Eric, Tom (Factory manager), Kelly (Sales Manager), Susan (Purchasing manager and Ben (Controller). With our current Golden factory operating at full tilt and the schedule out 6 months, It certainly cannot be put on a schedule for immediate production.

sal
In joy-induced haste, I failed to quote you up there ^^^^^^^ in my reply. Want to make sure my gratitude is properly conveyed.

My best to Susan and Ben as well!

Thanks again, Sal!

Sully

aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

I would just like to add my 2 cents for the left handed. I too tried a PM2 but just never got the feel for it.

But I do have to say that being left handed and not liking titanium frame locks has saved me a fortune!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

We can't trust lefties with knives. They're sinistral!
Sully

Post by Sully »

Thanks, Donut. I have been looking, maybe not hard enough because 4-inch blade/Black G-10 is not exactly my first choice. Love the LH factor, though. And I do appreciate the advice! :)

aquaman67, you and me both on saving a fortune by running from Ti frame locks!

zyhla, apparently so.

Donut

Post by Donut »

By the way, what about the Para 2 makes it unfriendly for a left hander?

I was taught to release the lock with my thumb (sort of similar to how most people unlock a back lock with their thumb), and for the longest time I figured it would be easier for a left handed person to unlock it with their thumb because a left handed person wouldn't have to reach over the lock to release it, the release is aimed towards the left thumb. I think I made a request thread for a Left handed Para... because it would be easier for right handed people to unlock.

People convinced me that for thumb unlock it is easier, but using the pinch unlock would be less secure for unlocking with the right hand if the lock was swapped.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Miss Dragonfly

Post by Miss Dragonfly »

I AM LEFTY TOO!!! :)

Great read, Sully! :cool: PAraMil2 is much bigger than I like but I DO get it. Don't compromise ALWAYS! So I vote yes to LEFTY but only smaller! :p So used to dealing in a righty dominated world that I just focused on the backlock choices. Knew all the others were just not for me. :( Hey that Deacon Blonde LEFTY knife sounds wonderful to me! :) Blondes really do have more fun! :p Hmmmmm.... soon I may just have to double my Spydie collection! :D
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
Marilyn Monroe
vivi

Post by vivi »

I don't get it. I'm right handed but I use my knives left handed at times. The compression lock always felt 100% ambi to me. I've never had any problems unlocking it lefty. I just rotate the folder a bit, then push the lock tab in with my thumb, and close the blade with my index finger.

In fact I sometimes wonder if itd be easier to close comp locks right handed if they reverse which side they were on.

And I'm not just talking out of my rear here. I've been comfortably closing compression locks lefty for over a decade.

Frame locks and liner locks I can 100% understand. I can close them lefty, but it doesn't feel right at all. Comp locks, BBL, CBBL, Lockbacks, slipits, fixed....all those are totally ambi, which makes up the majority of spydercos offerings. As opposed to other companies that seem to exclusively produce liner locks and framelocks.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

I concur with Donut and Vivi. The C68 Gunting was the first model to use the Compression lock and it was reversed from the current convention, i.e., unlocked by pressing with the thumb (like a Linerlock®), not as subsequent models that utilize current version that unlocks in the right-hand by pinching with the index finger. As such, if one is left-handed, they would be using a current ParaMilitary2’s Compression lock as it was originally envisioned and shown in the patent drawings ( although the claims do not mention a right or left-hand bias). I cannot recall in conversations with Sal as to why the locks orientation was changed. Perhaps he will enlighten us. IMNSHO, I cannot see an advantage to either variant, and am comfortable with either, but of course I am in the un-oppressed right-handed majority.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Great post and thread, Sully. I'm in Paul's camp about the PM2, but I keep trying to like it and plan to try for the Jade/M4 exclusive. I use the lock as Donut does but note that righties can swing in the blade in one action while it's more secure for lefties to catch the choil with their middle fingertip then pull the blade in with their thumb, to avoid having the knife squirt from the less secure thumbnail-index finger pinch. Also, it works pretty well to push the blade around with your index finger as Vivi describes if you rotated the scale parallel to the ground, but I'd be reluctant to do it that way over water.

I appreciate your thoughts about not always being required to adapt, but I made the $300 mistake of letting a knife salesman place a fluted Ti Millie in my hand and noticing how easy it is to operate the framelock with my left index fingertip for closing the knife, just as I do with the linerlock Millies. (Aquaman67, beware.) Also I couldn't help noting that the lock cutout on the scale favors lefty middle finger flicking more than rightie. I suspect you (and maybe Paul) are flicking your middle finger at these comments ;)

But some of the framelocks, like the Mantras, are definitely not lefty friendly for one-hand closing, and that was the main reason I didn't buy one. But my biggest disappointment in that regard was my Nishijin Cricket. Also some of the linerlocks, like the Bradley Folders, Air, and my Cat, defy lefty one-hand closing.

I think the BBL and CBBL are much underexploited. I'd love to see more new models with those locks, and I'd certainly like to see some dedicated lefty models, but choosing which ones would be difficult. Maybe another thread would be in order for that and a poll as well.

BTW you could add around 14% of the US presidents to your sig, as well as all three people who ran in '92 (Bush, Clinton, and Perot).
N. Brian Huegel wrote:I concur with Donut and Vivi. The C68 Gunting was the first model to use the Compression lock and it was reversed from the current convention, i.e., unlocked by pressing with the thumb (like a Linerlock®), not as subsequent models that utilize current version that unlocks in the right-hand by pinching with the index finger. As such, if one is left-handed, they would be using a current ParaMilitary2’s Compression lock as it was originally envisioned and shown in the patent drawings ( although the claims do not mention a right or left-hand bias). I cannot recall in conversations with Sal as to why the locks orientation was changed. Perhaps he will enlighten us. IMNSHO, I cannot see an advantage to either variant, and am comfortable with either, but of course I am in the un-oppressed right-handed majority.
I bought my first PM2 from you, a numbered green CTS 204P, and it was such a beauty I still haven't gotten around to using it. I find the thumb pinch a little less secure than the index finger pinch. Maybe the index finger pinch is better for people with longer fingers for support under the knife in case the thumbnail slides off. IMO both work equally well if you don't mind the two step closing, catching the blade choil w/middle finger and pulling blade in with thumb.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.