Gayle Bradley 2?? Talk me into it..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mrtodd777

Re: Gayle Bradley 2?? Talk me into it..

Post by mrtodd777 »

Wow! really informative stuff and great opinions all around. This is why I finally had to join this forum after lurking for a while. GREAT people who are more than happy to share their thoughts and opinions, regardless if they are the same or not. The decorum of this forum is unreal compared to some of the others... I am here to stay... Keep it coming guys, I am still on the fence.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

hoimin wrote:
Xplorer wrote:Although I've temporarily lost count, I own somewhere around 32-34 Spydercos. I have to say the Gayle Bradley 2 was the best knife for the $$ I've bought yet. The M4 blade is one of the toughest blades you can get, and among the "tough" blades M4 stays sharp for an amazingly long time. The construction is bomb-proof. The hollow grind creates a thin shoulder behind the cutting edge that makes it cut like a laser. Considering all you get in this knife, I was amazed at how low the price is. I got a chance to talk with Gayle Bradley for about an hour a few months ago. Gayle is a no-nonsense guy. Gayle is also a cutting competition champion. He's not making knives to be pretty, or to include the latest fad opener or locking mechanism. This guy is an old-school knife USER and maker, and he makes knives for people who use them every day and need to count on them to get the job done well. There are A LOT of Spyderco knives you can buy and be glad you did....I believe the Bradley 2 is so good that it's worthy of consideration for a person's first Spyderco (although I still think PM2 is the perfect starting point) but anyone that owns 3 or more Spydercos should definitely have a GB2 in their collection IMO.
I love this post.
I am jealous you got to chat with Gayle.
I disagree that he doesn't make knives to be pretty because a) they are dead sexy in hand and to the eyes, and b) his custom stuff does have purely aesthetic flourishes.

GB2 is what I hoped the PM2 would be for me. It's not quintessentially Spyderco in every regard like the Golden models are, but if I could only have one Spyderco folder, it'd be the GB2. I think it marries what makes Spyderco great with some of the more mainstream aesthetics; coupled further with Taichung's fit and finish at this price and it's a home run.

The only people that seem to truly not like the GB2 are the GB1 fans that expected the GB2 to be another GB1. For me, they are completely different patterns with similar design cues (dolphin vs shark, for example).
I had a feeling I might catch a little grief over the "pretty" comment. :) I should have phrased that better. I completely agree that his knives are good looking. Both production and custom alike. I was really meaning that his designs are all about function, and the aesthetics come after function in the design process. I appreciate his approach because as much as I like to look at knives...I stop using them if they don't work well. Gayle's knives get prettier to me every time I use them. :)

He shared awesome stories with me. Some of the stuff I'll never forget. He's a talented guy who knows his craft. For example, he was talking about how he doesn't like to use any of the fancy new jigs and tools for creating a distal taper on a blade, instead he just holds the blade with his vise grips and presses it "against the grinder with a stick". He said he can do it well because he's done it so many times. I just LOVE hearing the masters of this world talk about how they do things "their way". I'll continue to buy every design he produces.
Last edited by Xplorer on Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Xplorer wrote: I had a feeling I might catch a little grief over the "pretty" comment. :) I should have phrased that better. I completely agree that his knives are good looking. Both production and custom alike. I was really meaning that his designs are all about function, and the aesthetics come after function in the design process. I appreciate his approach because as much as I like to look at knives...I stop using them if they don't work well. Gayle's knives get prettier to me every time I use them. :)

He shared awesome stories with me. Some of the stuff I'll never forget. He's a talented guy who knows his craft. For example, he was talking about how he doesn't like to use any of the fancy new jigs and tools for creating a distal taper on a blade, instead he just holds the blade with his vise grips and presses it "against the grinder with a stick". He said he can do it well because he's done it so many times. I just LOVE hearing the masters of this world talk about how they do things "their way". I'll continue to buy every design he produces.
Haha, it wasn't real grief. And you're absolutely right in the function coming first.

Thanks for sharing that great story about creatively grinding distal tapers!

Edit: I took the photo down, as you have edited your posts, Xplorer.
Last edited by hoimin on Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

oops re-post
Last edited by Xplorer on Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

I've been thinking about getting a Bradley 2, as well, so I've been keeping an eye on this thread. You see, I'll be going to a wedding soon and I don't have a dress-up knife. Never mind about the clothes, I can get by with what I have, but I need to accessorize. I thought the Bradley would do nicely for SGTM as well as an everyday work knife. Perhaps I'm rationalizing.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Despite the fact I almost cut my thumb off last february with my GB2 I highly recommend it. I also have the the GB1 but the 2 has all the features the first one lacked. If you aren't a steel junk yet you will become one once you get your hands on carbon-steel knives, believe me. I love the stuff Gayle Bradley comes up with! I hope he stays with us for a long time.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

As a patriotic Texan, I felt obliged to obtain a GB2. Afterall, how many knives do you know of that have the outline of Texas etched into the blade? And I'm a sucker for a hollow grind and swedge. The liner lock is difficult to disengage, however. Supposedly a safety feature but a disappointment for me. Maybe it will become easier with the passage of time.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
mrdavidkolds

Post by mrdavidkolds »

The CPM M4 on the Bradley 2 gets really sharp. Stainless steels just don't sharpen up like this steel. So If you don't mind the stains you get with a high carbon steel, I think it's the best steel out there. The Bradley is built tough and solid (on the heavy side). The Bradley 1 has been my EDC for over a year. The Bradley 2 has a better handle and is actually less expensive than the Bradley 1 was.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Need to be talked into a GB 2?

That just happened!
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:Need to be talked into a GB 2?

That just happened!
:eek: daaang! That, my friend, is beautiful.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

That just happened!
Nice! Same clip? No Clip?
Miss Dragonfly

Post by Miss Dragonfly »

Gorgeous! :)
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
Marilyn Monroe
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

I think in order to decide between the GB1 and GB2 you really need to hold both knives. There are many differences in the size, shape and weight of each piece that will only become clear when handled. I just purchased a GB2 today after handling both models - the GB1 didn't fit my hand and I didn't like the weight compared to the 2.

Whichever model you choose, be warned that the liner lock is not as easy to release as on other Spydies. It is easier on the 2 than on the 1, but still nowhere as easy as say a Sage 1 or Tenacious.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Thanks again everybody for all of your input. I couldnt wait any longer. I just pulled the trigger.. The sad thing is, now I will probably end up getting me a manix s110v somewhere down the line most likely sooner than later due to this thread. THANKS ALOT GUYS!!!!!
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

abbazaba wrote:

That just happened!

HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

abbazaba wrote:

That just happened!
Same clip will go on it once the scales get here. Once I see how it looks in person I will think about going with a polished clip and screws.

Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Mad Mac wrote: ...The liner lock is difficult to disengage, however...
Maybe it will become easier with the passage of time.
Indeed it did. Here is the trick, at least for me.
Instead of pushing against the vestigial jimping down in the cutout,
pushing on the hump before the cutout has proven to work more easily for me.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

After owning the knife now for a few weeks it has bumped my PM2 out of my pocket permanently. I dont seem to understand why so many people are having a hard time disengaging the liner lock.. Press slightly down with the PAD of your thumb and gently move sideways. I then use my pointer finger to close the blade while moving my thumb away from the lock.. IT takes no more effort than my sage 1 IMO. I personally love the lack of a liner lock cutout. The knife looks so much sleeker that way.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

mrtodd777 wrote:After owning the knife now for a few weeks it has bumped my PM2 out of my pocket permanently. I dont seem to understand why so many people are having a hard time disengaging the liner lock.. Press slightly down with the PAD of your thumb and gently move sideways. I then use my pointer finger to close the blade while moving my thumb away from the lock.. IT takes no more effort than my sage 1 IMO. I personally love the lack of a liner lock cutout. The knife looks so much sleeker that way.
Good to know I'm not alone in this. Congratulations =)
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

hoimin wrote:
mrtodd777 wrote:After owning the knife now for a few weeks it has bumped my PM2 out of my pocket permanently. I dont seem to understand why so many people are having a hard time disengaging the liner lock.. Press slightly down with the PAD of your thumb and gently move sideways. I then use my pointer finger to close the blade while moving my thumb away from the lock.. IT takes no more effort than my sage 1 IMO. I personally love the lack of a liner lock cutout. The knife looks so much sleeker that way.
Good to know I'm not alone in this. Congratulations =)
Been thinking about a GB2 for a while now. PM2 was not my favorite. It just never felt right in my hand. What about the GB2 makes you both prefer is over the PM2?