The DODO: An EDC Gem

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

The DODO: An EDC Gem

Post by JD Spydo »

In the past 3 days I've done something that just doesn't reflect me or my general use of folders at all. I've totally switched my two main EDC carry blades and went with two folders that are entirely different with splendid results. I've went from an M390 Military model & TASMAN to now using a blue PE Dodo for my main EDC and one of my Spyderedged Stainless Rescue models for my companion blade. The results have been marvelous and I'm enjoying the DODO as an EDC like you wouldn't believe. I've EDCed the Dodo in the past but not with the serious jobs I've used it on in the past 3 days.

I've come to the conclusion that the Dodo model may be the best hidden secret Spyderco ever had IMO. Now the Stainless, Spyderedged Rescue model has been a stalwart user model of mine for a very long time. It's so much better than any of the other RESCUE type models that there's just no comparison IMO.

The DODO model is truly an EDC gem and I'm surprised that the entire community hasn't yet recognized it as such. I believe that the Dodo is one of the most underestimated and overlooked "user" Spyders ever IMO. We need the DODO to return to the main line up and for everyone to take a second look at the Stainless RESCUE model as well. The Dodo is versatile beyond belief. I would also like to see the Dodo considered for a possible slot in the H-1 Salt Series.
DutchBlades

Re: The DODO: An EDC Gem

Post by DutchBlades »

I love everything about my Dodo. Still want to get the black, blue and/or orange model some day. I just can't bare to use the cf one for anything other than opening letters :p
Definitely didn't get it's credit from the general crowd, but people who own one and "get" the design love it :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

CPM CruWear Dodo would be unbelievably tantalizing.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Would definitely like to see this one return, once had the orange version and sold it again but would like to get another chance to return this one to the collection.
timlara

Post by timlara »

I've always liked the Dodo for EDC as well. Most comfortable box cutter ever made, imo. In fact, the original blue Dodo was my first Spyderco purchase. I used to be a Kershaw fanboy back when their Ken Onion collaborations were starting to get really popular and I actually learned of the Dodo when Ken Onion mentioned that he thought it was a cool design in an interview. I was doubly surprised to find out the Dodo was made in Golden, just a few miles up the road from my house!

A dozen years and many dozens of Spydies later, I'm still hooked! :)
Miss Dragonfly

Post by Miss Dragonfly »

timlara wrote:I've always liked the Dodo for EDC as well. Most comfortable box cutter ever made, imo. In fact, the original blue Dodo was my first Spyderco purchase. I used to be a Kershaw fanboy back when their Ken Onion collaborations were starting to get really popular and I actually learned of the Dodo when Ken Onion mentioned that he thought it was a cool design in an interview. I was doubly surprised to find out the Dodo was made in Golden, just a few miles up the road from my house!

How often did you visit the :spyder: store at the height of your, let's say, obsession? So curious, because right now I'd want to just hold and open them all. :) Wonder if they ever told anyone at the store enough is enough....

Looking at pics :( , the Dodo seems lovably kooky, almost like someone sorta squashed an open Yojimbo. Maybe I'm just seeing that... Must feel interesting in the hand. Bet it's a pocketknife that really gets a quizzical look from non-knife people. Cool to hear it cuts so well for an odd bird! :)
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
Marilyn Monroe
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

timlara wrote:I've always liked the Dodo for EDC as well. Most comfortable box cutter ever made, imo. In fact, the original blue Dodo was my first Spyderco purchase. I used to be a Kershaw fanboy back when their Ken Onion collaborations were starting to get really popular and I actually learned of the Dodo when Ken Onion mentioned that he thought it was a cool design in an interview. I was doubly surprised to find out the Dodo was made in Golden, just a few miles up the road from my house!

Yeah I got this blue PE Dodo back in late 2003 myself. I've had several of the Dodo model and I terribly regret trading away my Spyderedged Dodo. Because I thought that it was always going to be easy to obtain another one. With the Sprint Runs of the Dodo I'm still holding out hope that the Dodo will again be available in Spyderedge at some point.

I've always been amazed at how versatile the Dodo model is. I've given my M390 Military model a well deserved rest and thought I would try something different but the Dodo can do a lot of what many of the bigger blades can do.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

3rdGenRigger wrote:CPM CruWear Dodo would be unbelievably tantalizing.
^^this. Make a few in SE whilest thou art at it
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Dodo is pretty amazing.

I think you'd be pretty happy with a Lil Matriarch!

I keep hoping for a reverse S Dragonfly. :P~~~
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Too bad they named it the Dodo. Destined to go extinct.

Would be a **** of a forum knife though...
timlara

Post by timlara »

Miss Dragonfly wrote: How often did you visit the :spyder: store at the height of your, let's say, obsession? So curious, because right now I'd want to just hold and open them all. :) Wonder if they ever told anyone at the store enough is enough....

Looking at pics :( , the Dodo seems lovably kooky, almost like someone sorta squashed an open Yojimbo. Maybe I'm just seeing that... Must feel interesting in the hand. Bet it's a pocketknife that really gets a quizzical look from non-knife people. Cool to hear it cuts so well for an odd bird! :)
I still visit the SFO store every chance I get all these years later! Everyone who works there is incredibly patient and has excellent customer service skills. They are happy to let you handle all the knives you want and will never make you feel rushed or pressure you to buy anything. They even help bandage up idiots like me who cut themselves in the store... :D

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=66142

The Dodo has a unique feel in that it has an extremely secure full-sized grip on a small, fairly stout blade with a very strong lock. It really feels like a claw extension of your hand and cuts very well on pull cuts. I've found that it seems to be pretty non-threatening to non-knife people in general, due to the short blade. Even though the blade shape is kind of aggressive, the small overall size and funky look seem to help it to not scream "knife" like a PM2 or Manix would in a "sheeple" environment.
timlara

Post by timlara »

JD Spydo wrote: Yeah I got this blue PE Dodo back in late 2003 myself. I've had several of the Dodo model and I terribly regret trading away my Spyderedged Dodo. Because I thought that it was always going to be easy to obtain another one. With the Sprint Runs of the Dodo I'm still holding out hope that the Dodo will again be available in Spyderedge at some point.
Same here...I sold off my SE Dodo several years back when I hit some hard times. I would definitely be interested in another sprint.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

zhyla wrote:Too bad they named it the Dodo. Destined to go extinct.

Would be a **** of a forum knife though...
Can you imagine if that actually happened?!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

Spydergirl88 wrote: Can you imagine if that actually happened?!
No, I can't... because I would be ecstatic, and I'm not that lucky.

I think that the Dodo would be a little too much of a niche knife to be considered a for a forum knife though I would love to see it.

I have an orange Dodo sprint user but I tend to not carry it because it's ball lock sometimes gets stuck in open position.

Still love the knife though, very ergonomic and a beast of a cutter.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

As much as I love the dodo (a lot!) I couldn't bring myself to edc it. I had the orange version and I think it just bugged me that it was so bright in my pocket. Normally I don't worry about something like that but it can be tricky at work. I know someone asks every week but can we have more Dodo please Sal. Or something like it. I still think about the Q-Ball and wonder if it will ever see the light of day.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Miss Dragonfly

Post by Miss Dragonfly »

timlara wrote:
I still visit the SFO store every chance I get all these years later! Everyone who works there is incredibly patient and has excellent customer service skills. They are happy to let you handle all the knives you want and will never make you feel rushed or pressure you to buy anything. They even help bandage up idiots like me who cut themselves in the store... :D

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=66142
You rock, timlara! you're no "idiot" either! What a cool (after the "incident" 'course) story! The link above is such a fun read....thanks for sharing it! You better have a RED Roadie now! Ha...before it was even available, it made it's presence known...ouch :eek:

From just your description of the Dodo alone, I want one now! :)
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
Marilyn Monroe
BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

I had my hands on one a couple summers ago and didn't know what it was. I met a guy FW bass fishing at a pond. I fished with him for about 2 hours and gave him pointers on fishing a jig n pig etc. along with a bag of my favorite trailers. It took me years to fish that bait properly. He was happy.
Anyway, he pulled out this Dodo at some point. I remember it was black and must have been G10. I expressed interest in it. He was basically going to give it to me for whatever I offered. He didn't know what it was either. I knew it was something cool and was going to offer him $50 for it but never did.
Hopefully, I'll see him soon. For Mass, there are some big bass in that pond. I haven't been there in a while but I bet I'll run into him. Hope he still has it and I'll make a fair offer..
elena86

Post by elena86 »

twinboysdad wrote:
3rdGenRigger wrote:CPM CruWear Dodo would be unbelievably tantalizing.
^^this. Make a few in SE whilest thou art at it
+1
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Liquid Cobra wrote:As much as I love the dodo (a lot!) I couldn't bring myself to edc it. I had the orange version and I think it just bugged me that it was so bright in my pocket. Normally I don't worry about something like that but it can be tricky at work. I know someone asks every week but can we have more Dodo please Sal. Or something like it. I still think about the Q-Ball and wonder if it will ever see the light of day.
Oh LC my friend I beg to differ with you :) Because I want you and everyone else to consider this>> as to what type of a culture-shock! it was to go from an M390 Military model to the blue PE Dodo for my main EDC. And believe me it's been one of the most radical moves I've ever made in my knife-toting history.

But I must say I've been absolutely amazed at how big and demanding of cutting jobs I've been able to do with my Dodo>> these are cutting chores that I took for granted with the big Military model and it's just unbelievable how great that little blade works overall. I want a Spyderedged Dodo so bad now that it's in my top 3 of knives on my "Gotta Have" list. I could just kick myself hard for trading the one I had because I did use it and it also worked very well.

Oh I dare any of you to try to EDC a PE Dodo for at least 3 days and let us know what you think. Now I know it won't be everyone's ideal EDC blade but I do think many of you will be pleasantly surprised as I have been in these past few days. The Dodo is a much more genius design than I ever gave it credit for being.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

JD Spydo wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:As much as I love the dodo (a lot!) I couldn't bring myself to edc it. I had the orange version and I think it just bugged me that it was so bright in my pocket. Normally I don't worry about something like that but it can be tricky at work. I know someone asks every week but can we have more Dodo please Sal. Or something like it. I still think about the Q-Ball and wonder if it will ever see the light of day.
Oh LC my friend I beg to differ with you :) Because I want you and everyone else to consider this>> as to what type of a culture-shock! it was to go from an M390 Military model to the blue PE Dodo for my main EDC. And believe me it's been one of the most radical moves I've ever made in my knife-toting history.

But I must say I've been absolutely amazed at how big and demanding of cutting jobs I've been able to do with my Dodo>> these are cutting chores that I took for granted with the big Military model and it's just unbelievable how great that little blade works overall. I want a Spyderedged Dodo so bad now that it's in my top 3 of knives on my "Gotta Have" list. I could just kick myself hard for trading the one I had because I did use it and it also worked very well.

Oh I dare any of you to try to EDC a PE Dodo for at least 3 days and let us know what you think. Now I know it won't be everyone's ideal EDC blade but I do think many of you will be pleasantly surprised as I have been in these past few days. The Dodo is a much more genius design than I ever gave it credit for being.
I guess I wasn't clear in my post. I believe the knife to be more than capable! I was just saying that the bright orange wasn't ideal for me carrying it everyday at work. If it was black or grey or something I would have kept carrying it. My bright knives are typically carried on my days off because I'm not at work.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra