Corrosion resistance ZDP189 vs S110V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hom76

Corrosion resistance ZDP189 vs S110V

Post by hom76 »

Hi, I would like to get your ideas about the corrosion resistance of both steels.

Due to the high carbon content 3%, ZDP189 has been regarded as the least corrosion resistant stainless steal although it has 20% of Chromium. On the other hand, S110v also has very high carbon content 2.8% with much less Chromium 15-16%. Should ZDP189 be as least comparable to S110v in terms of corrosion resistance?

Thanks!
bearfacedkiller

Re: Corrosion resistance ZDP189 vs S110V

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have found S110V to be very stain resistant and much more stain resistant than ZDP.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
hom76

Post by hom76 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I have found S110V to be very stain resistant and much more stain resistant than ZDP.
Yes and I found that most of the people experienced the same. I am living in a very humid area and I have no problem with my ZDP-189 for stain and rust and that's why I am such a question in mind. :)
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I personally haven't pushed my ZDP to its limits, but the stories I read agree with the perception that it is not that stainless. It does have more chromium, but it has little else in the way of carbide formers so most of the chromium is locked up with carbon and not available to protect the steel. S110V, on the other hand, is a smorgasbord of carbide forming elements. Way more molybdenum, gobs more vanadium, and a helping of niobium that ZDP doesn't include at all. This stuff forms carbides instead of the chromium, leaving it free to inhibit corrosion.

I have subjected my S110V to salty ham juice for two or three days straight at my old job, and it simply needed a cleaning at the end of each day. No rust whatsoever. It's VERY good, whereas my ZDP has a delicate subtle patina forming despite my taking great care to wash and dry it thoroughly after using it on food. In my experience, I agree with the perception that ZDP is semi stainless while S110V is very stainless.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Zdp189 and s110v will fall on opposite ends of the spectrum. I think ZDP is one of the most corrosion prone steels that still qualifies as stainless. S110v is one of the most corrosion proof stainless steels on the market today.

-Disclaimor- My opinion about the corrosion resistance of ZDP is based only on what I have read here for years. My thoughts on s110v are based on extensive testing and daily use in highly corrosive environment.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

ZDP doesn't have a huge amount of vanadium for carbide formation. It uses the chromium so there is much less free chromium to prevent corrosion.

You have to look at other elements not just carbon and chromium.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have never had much issue with zdp and the brown stuff but it does tend to discolor. It is a strange steel in that way. It seems semi stainless in a very different way than say D2, M4 or Cruwear are semi stainless. They have all given me brown flecks of rust from time to time. Nothing major but a little bit that could be wiped off. ZDP seems to resist the brown rust but it does discolor for me in a sort of grey hazy way over time. It doesn't patina like other semi stainless steels. I love ZDP and I think it is because it is so unique. We love to compare different steels but ZDP is on an island all it's own.

I have been regularly carrying a S110V Native5 together with a ZDP Stretch for a few months now and it is interesting to see them used side by side since they are the regular production premium steel for each respective lineup. They are both challenging to sharpen and they both stay sharp for a long time but they are also both very different.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Surfingringo wrote:Zdp189 and s110v will fall on opposite ends of the spectrum. I think ZDP is one of the most corrosion prone steels that still qualifies as stainless. S110v is one of the most corrosion proof stainless steels on the market today.

-Disclaimor- My opinion about the corrosion resistance of ZDP is based only on what I have read here for years. My thoughts on s110v are based on extensive testing and daily use in highly corrosive environment.
I'd say that's a pretty fair statement. There may be others that are worse but I don't know them. My ZDP Ladybug has rusted just from hanging on my keys and being tucked into my back pocket, which is no worse than clipping it into your pocket.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I've had too many ZDP blades to count. The steel is reactive and changes color easily. I never had problems with full on rusting though.

I haven't had a S110v blade rust or discolor and I have heavily used it on food prep.

I cleaned my S110v mule and upon taking out its Halpern scales, the bare handle was covered in rust. That's after coating it with oil before I installed the scales for the first time. Happens with all my Mules.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

CPM S110V was developed as a mold steel for the plastics industry so it's going to be pretty hard to rust it, that's a very corrosive environment. :)
harronek

Post by harronek »

I live in the tropics and humidity etc is always a problem .
I have carried ZDP189 exclusively over the last twelve months and haven't experienced any corrosion at all .
My knives get used for anything and everything and are not babied , all they get is a rinse under the tap occasionally and a squirt of Inox / WD40 / G96 or anything else that's handy .
I was worried when I got my first ZDP189 Spyderco because of all the talk of corrosion , it's been absolutely zero issue and I now own four ZDP Spyderco's .
I love the stuff .

Ken