Let's talk about pistol holsters...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderNut

Let's talk about pistol holsters...

Post by SpyderNut »

So, recently I purchased a new pocket .380 (Sig P238) and began searching for a decent concealed IWB holster for daily carry. It had been a number of years since I looked at pistol holsters, so my mind was virtually blown when I started looking at various options online. :eek: Man alive, there are literally thousands of options out there for concealed carry. It is hard to know where to even begin, lol.

Anyway, after reading a ton of online reviews, I settled on ordering a Original Tuckable Subcompact Holster from N82 Tactical Holster (a.k.a. Nate Squared Tactical). https://www.n82tactical.com It should hopefully be here in a week or so. The thing I liked the most about the N82 is that it (1) allows for *comfortable* IWB carry WITHOUT having to wear a belt. I also liked (2) that you can still tuck your shirt in around the gun and holster, thereby offering a discreet carry option when wearing business casual clothing. (3) The N82 also has a sweat shield that protects the gun from sweat and body oils, which should prove to be handy during the warm summer months. The crew at N82 also appear to be very knowledgeable and helpful as evidenced by quickly returning my email with questions within a day's time.
I'll probably update this after I get some time with the new holster. I may also look at getting the DeSantis Nemesis for in-pocket carry. We'll see. :)

What do you guys prefer to use for concealed/IWB carry?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
farnorthdan

Re: Let's talk about pistol holsters...

Post by farnorthdan »

I use the DeSantis Nemesis for my LCP, I've been carrying it in my RBP for a least a half dozen years now and have no complaints. It has held up real well for being carried literally everyday. Only one small wear through at the muzzle but its real small. The holster does a good job of keeping the LCP positioned in the pocket and releases good on the draw.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thanks for the info on the Nemesis, Dan. That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Basically, the Nemesis looks to be one of the best options for in-pocket carry that I can find, other than the newer SuperFly model (also by DeSantis). Seems like the Nemesis had better reviews than the SuperFly, though. I might have to breat down and get one soon! Amazon has them for around $ 17.

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

My carry pistol is a J frame S&W revolver. For IWB carry I use a Safariland Covert Option but I usually carry either in my pocket, using a Remora Series 8UC, or suspended in A. E. Nelson's version of the Berns-Martin Triple Draw shoulder holster.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Stealth Gear Onyx. I have one for every gun I carry. I won't carry in anything else.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I carry AIWB and use a HIgh Noon Mr. Softy or a Remora with full sweat shield for both my LCP and Beretta Nano.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I carry a LCP in my RFP with a Desantis Nemesis. It is a great holster for a few reasons but it is too thick for me. That said I still haven't settled on a replacement and I have been carrying this thing this way for years now. The Nemesis is tacky on the outside, smooth on the inside, fits the pistol very well, keeps the gun sweat free and has enough padding to be comfortable no matter what you are doing or leaning into. It adds about a 1/4 inch to the width of a gun that is only .82" wide though. In the summer I will leave the chamber empty and just drop it in the pocket without a holster. I want a super thin leather pocket holster for the LCP but haven't settled on which one to get. I want something that is as thin as possible. My fully loaded LCP with a Crimson trace laser weighs 12.6 ounces without the holster and 14 ounces with it. That is easy to carry all the time.

I have a SP101 3" that gets carried in a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake holster either IWB or OWB depending on what I am doing. I also have a Simply Rugged Pocket Protector that I use to drop the Sp101 in the pocket of my bibs. It takes a big pocket to carry a 3" SP101 but my coveralls do it well.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I've been liking the LightTuck Kydex IWB by Vedder Holsters (http://www.vedderholsters.com/) for my Walther PPS M2. They've got a variety of holsters for the SIG P238.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Well the story goes like this.... everyone is proud of their gun collection but not as proud when it comes to their holster selection....The reason being....and this is only my opinion after 50 years of owning and collecting guns, most companies that make holsters, are made up of people who do not wear a gun 24/7 365. This is one reason we own so many holsters for each gun. I own 27 handguns....and I have at least 6-7 holsters for each of those guns. It's not like I like buying holsters that will sit in the draw or in a box never to be used, but if you have to carry 24/7 365...you need something that works, is comfortable to wear all day and night and more importantly will hold up over of the years of continuous effective use. I have carried (depending on the season) either a Sig Sauer P220 in .45 cal. or one variant or the other of the Ruger Sp101 in .357 mag for over 40 years now...the one holster for IWB that I have relied upon is made by Alessi Holsters in Upstate NY. (referring to the IWB Talon Clip Models) check it out....all of my handguns have a fitting Alessi Holster of the IWB variety. My Current carry for the Sp101 is a 30+ years Alessi IWB Talon Holster, the leather has split at the top, it looks ugly as ****...The clip is fantastic for retention but on occasion has broken over the years....not to worry they come with a lifetime guarantee, so I had mine replaced like three time in 30 years....each time the company get my holster in the mail they refurbish the whole holster for no charge....they even offered to replace my current holster with a new one at no charge after 30 years of use....but I like that holster so much I said no....I'll stick with what I know will work for me 24/7 365, even if the lip of the holster's leather is torn...they are that good...check it out Alessi Talon IWB Holsters......Doc:)
Studey

Post by Studey »

Not everyone is like that, Doc...some of us carry, train, and use our stuff all day long, day in and day out.

I may be biased...but I prefer the ones I build! :p

noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Agree with the above, P2000SK & plain black OWB leather.

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I've reviewed a number of holsters on my site:http://selfdefensecarry.com

You have to be able to carry it every day, even those long days. It must keep the weapon secure, safe and the trigger covered. It must allow a quick and secure draw. In my opinion, the type and build (leather, kydex, etc., hybrid) should suit your body type and carry position. I like the ability to re-holster with one hand if necessary and I usually carry in the appendix position. For that I like a kydex holster. When I carry strong side OWB, it is usually in a D.M. Bullard leather holster.

You'll end up with a number of good holsters for each gun, and that's how it should be. Don't leave it at home because it is a burden to carry.

Be safe.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
33S

Post by 33S »

Run TTGunleather exclusively these days, an XCSlim for the CCO and a Mikes Special for the G26. Fan of Alessi, Ritchie, Milt Sparks and Raven Concealment and have various other models in the ol' holster box for other weapons.

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Generally, for a very small pistol or revolver I have always relied upon custom leather pocket holsters for carry in either of my front pockets. Sadly, since the owner died, I do not think KC Leather is still in business. But, there are many other good makers out there. I occasionally used an IWB holster, too, but prefer pocket carry for small guns.

Once I took Miss Florida with me to do some work at the downtown rescue mission. She was going to sing. As we were walking down the sidewalk in the bad part of town, a very large fellow saw us and crossed the street with the obvious intent on doing us some harm. I just casually, and making no obvious threat, put my hand down in my pocket. His reaction was instant. He said, "Excuse me." and recrossed the street hurriedly.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thank you for the pictures and informative reviews, everyone. Just when I think I've got a fair grasp on what's out there, a whole new crop of quality holsters pop up that I've never heard of. :o I knew I could count on the good folks here to provide some quality reviews and insight. I'll be eager to share my report on the N82 Subcompact Tuckable Holster after I get to use it for a while.

A quick question: For those of you who use leather holsters, how well does it deflect body sweat/moisture from your gun? Also, does leather cause any tarnishing or patina affect on the frame and/or slide?

Thanks again, everyone. You guys/gals rock! :)

noseoil

Post by noseoil »

The stuff I make is sealed with a wax product from Tandy which soaks into the leather, then dries. Once it's buffed out, it gets a coating of sno seal & gets warmed up to cure a bit. This is buffed out & it seals up the leather pretty well. I always cut my holsters with a "sweat shield" so there's no direct contact with the weapon against my body.

Living in the desert, we don't have humidity to deal with most of the year. I carry H&K's, so their finish seems to hold up well to the elements, but I keep my weapons cleaned & properly lubed all the time. No trouble with the finish.

Here's an example of an unfinished holster, prior to color & finish. It's for a P30LS, V1, in 40 S&W.

Finished, with the wax & sealed, buffed

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Nice work on your holster, Noseoil. It takes quite a lot of skill (and time) to make something nice like that.

I used to use Sno-Seal extensively on my boots for use during the winter months. That stuff is truly amazing in keeping the moisture out of leather.

RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

The best way to go and I've tried them all including IWB, outside, pocket and paddle is a shoulder rig. Then I don't wear anything but the 511 Tactical style 72157:shirts in all the different colors . This shirt is the one with the hidden document pockets that you access via a vertical opening with velcro closure. Cut the back out of the pocket and stitch it down to prevent the fabric from raveling where you rip the velcro opening reach in and draw. With this rig it doesn't matter if you have shirt tail in or out and you don't have to worry about reaching up and exposing you pistol or anything else. No one would ever suspect that you were wearing a shoulder rig under a shirt and it's totally invisible.
RexGig0

Post by RexGig0 »

When toting revolvers, I really like the Milt Sparks PMK for the smaller to medium-large weapons, up to K/L-frame/GP100 size. The Milt Sparks 200AW is really nice, too, but its long tunnel loop is not compatible with all belt loop spacing, and the hammer shroud is not needed for my revolvers that have no hammer spurs, or smaller-sized hammer spurs.

I have yet to settle upon a current favorite for larger revolvers, as I do not tote them regularly enough, anymore. The Sparks Hackathorn seems quite good, outside the belt, and the Summer Special works well IWB, with a 5.5"-barreled SAA. I used a Davis DA Challenger to carry my S&W Model 58, but finally realized my hands were simply not quite large enough for the N-Frame.

I like the Alessi Ankle Holster. I do not routinely use ankle carry, anymore, but it is a viable method when long pants are worn, but belt-level carry is going to be problem, for whatever reason, or, of course, for a secondary weapon.

I live in a often-tropical climate, unsuited to shoulder carry for most of the year. When the temperature allows suitable cover garments, the Andrews Monarch is a very well-thought-out shoulder rig. The added strap, that crosses the back, below the shoulders, makes tie-downs unnecessary.

The Josh Bulman FDS (forward-drop scabbard) is superb, for my 1911. Notably, it is much like the Sparks PMK. Both are evolutions of the Professional, designed and made by the late, great Bruce Nelson. (A more-faithful copy of the original Professional is the Milt Sparks BN-55, with "BN" being, of course, Bruce Nelson's initials.) When I toted P229, its natural habitat was also a Bulman FDS.

The Kramer Vertical Scabbard works well with several of my handguns, both auto and revolver. The concept is, again, a development of the Professional. Another Kramer I like is the MSP Paddle Holster, for the relatively few times I want to use such a holster.

Having mostly switched to Glocks, for duty and most personal-time carry, due to aging, aching hands, wrists, arms, and a bad shoulder*, I have also tended to use kydex and other thermoformed holsters. The best of the best, outisde the belt, that I have found, thus far, is the DSG Arms Alpha, accomodating the pistol, plus a mounted X200/X300 weapon-light. I also like the Raven Concealment ACR, for a G26, worn IWB, forward of the hip, a.k.a. AIWB. (AIWB is a controversial carry position, especially for weapons having a short trigger stroke distance, so I do not recommend it. Those who truly trust themselves to stay off the trigger, until the target is acquired, know who they are, and can make an informed decision.)

*9mm recoil is kinder to aging joints, and the low bore axis of Glocks reduces muzzle flip. An X300/X200 weapon-mounted light adds recoil-damping mass at just the right place on the weapon.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I've gone to 9 mm for many of the same reasons Rex mentioned. AIWB works for me. I habitually swipe the manual safety when I draw, a habit learned in the military years ago, so I don't worry about that kind of negligent discharge. I sometimes carry a Bond Arms in .410 with 00 buck or self defense loads. It's a hammer fired, single action hammer-cock gun, so I don't worry about the safety. Can't get a much better pistol for close up effect than a hand-held shotgun.

I like leather for OWB and kydex or thermo-formed plastic for AIWB.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation