Mule Team 22 RWL-34 Testing/Review

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Ankerson

Mule Team 22 RWL-34 Testing/Review

Post by Ankerson »

Was sent this for testing By Sal as was stated in the Mule team thread. Been having a real blast working with this, it was a real pleasure really working with RWL-34.

This is my standard testing format, rope cardboard and wood.

Edge geometry and finish are 15 DPS and 400 Grit.

Starting off with the rope cutting, 5/8" manila rope was cut until 20 LBS of downforce was reached, 440 cuts was reached until 20 LBS of downforce. Was still phonebook paper slicing sharp, no edge damage was noticed.

Next was the cardboard cutting, I cut 3,000 linear FT of cardboard, knife was resharpened before this stage to refresh the edge, at the end it would still slice phonebook paper easy.

Last stage was wood, whittled pine and snapped out the edge a number of times and took a large piece of wood out as is shown in the photos. Knife was not sharpened after the cardboard.

Sharpening was done on an Edge Pro Apex as shown.

I also monitored the edge sharpness with my KN-100 Sharpness tester during the whole testing process.

Conclusion:

Performance was excellent, sharpening and or reprofiling shouldn't be too difficult from what I saw and experienced. I didn't notice anything other than normal edge wear that was expected. RWL-34 proved to be a real performer as can be seen above and I would like to see one of the normal models in it in the future.
SpyderNut

Re: Mule Team 22 RWL-34 Testing/Review

Post by SpyderNut »

Very nice review and pictures, sir. I am tempted more than ever to pick one of these up. :o By the way, what is the thickness behind the edge on your test blade?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderNut wrote:Very nice review and pictures, sir. I am tempted more than ever to pick one of these up. :o By the way, what is the thickness behind the edge on your test blade?

MIne was .019" before reprofiling, .020" after reprofiling to 15 DPS. :)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Great review!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Thanks Jim, nicely done! You're going to need an assistant soon with all that cardboard cutting :D Are you still using the moldmaster stones?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Cool review, thanks. Also very nice scales on that mule!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Thanks Jim, nicely done! You're going to need an assistant soon with all that cardboard cutting :D Are you still using the moldmaster stones?

Yes, still using the Moldmasters. :)

Took me 2 days just to cut the cardboard, took my time doing it.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Joris Mo wrote:Cool review, thanks. Also very nice scales on that mule!

Those are Halpern scales. :)
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Thanks! Just looked those scales up, might get some someday.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Ankerson wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:Very nice review and pictures, sir. I am tempted more than ever to pick one of these up. :o By the way, what is the thickness behind the edge on your test blade?

MIne was .019" before reprofiling, .020" after reprofiling to 15 DPS. :)
Thanks, Jim. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It did really well. I have been trying to scratch up the funds for the 4V mule and now this. I just snagged a Sprig instead which is phenomenal and I am super stoked about it but still... Argh... What to do? Now I need the 4V and this one.

Thanks for your effort. It is appreciated.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Thanks Jim, you are tooooooo fast. I noticed you've already updated the Ranking of Steels thread on BF. Appreciate all you do to keep us knife nuts up to date with your testing. An 8" fillet in this steel would be fantastic . :rolleyes:
Last edited by Tdog on Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Great review Jim, thanks. Mine came yesterday but haven't had a chance to check it out yet, out of town for work.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Thanks for the review as always. Yours are my favourite as they seem to match up with what my expectations of a knifes actual uses are.

Not to derail but I have a couple of the Halpern Micarta scales and they are very good.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

akaAK wrote:Thanks for the review as always. Yours are my favourite as they seem to match up with what my expectations of a knifes actual uses are.

Not to derail but I have a couple of the Halpern Micarta scales and they are very good.

Thanks, I try and make things realistic as I can while still being controlled to keep it accurate. :)
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Appreciated the time and effort. I respect the attempts at consistent testing but I am the first to admit that my cutting technique can vary wildly. As I get tired, as the knife dulls, how much time I have to complete a task. The human variable is very hard to remove. A test set-up like yours tries to minimize this without removing what I see as the "real world" use of a knife.

Most days I would not come close to this amount of cutting.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

akaAK wrote:Appreciated the time and effort. I respect the attempts at consistent testing but I am the first to admit that my cutting technique can vary wildly. As I get tired, as the knife dulls, how much time I have to complete a task. The human variable is very hard to remove. A test set-up like yours tries to minimize this without removing what I see as the "real world" use of a knife.

Most days I would not come close to this amount of cutting.

I doubt most people would really, something like 3,000 ft of cardboard is a lot of cutting if you think about it.

Just something like breaking down boxes for the bin for example, that would be a lot of boxes. LOL
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

That's great! And that's why RWL-34 or CPM-154 are my ideal steels on a folder. They are so well balanced!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Awesome stuff, Jim. Thanks for your review!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Great info Jim. Thanks for the work!