Mantra or Mantra2? Opinions wanted.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knolan

Re: Mantra or Mantra2? Opinions wanted.

Post by knolan »

Thanks SG...good to hear. Seems like the majority of people are getting good ones, and I'm sure Spyderco will ultimately address the bugs in the design, just wish I knew w/some degree of certainty that we had crossed that threshold before I buy.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I'll also add that the action on the ones I handled was insanely smooth. Like Sage 3 smooth.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Surfingringo wrote:I'll also add that the action on the ones I handled was insanely smooth. Like Sage 3 smooth.
Same here. Definitely the best Spyderco flipper action I've seen so far.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
elena86

Post by elena86 »

DigDug72 wrote:Whichever you opt for, you'll probably love it so much the other will be an eventual purchase too. At least that's my boat - started with the M1, and had to get the M2 soon after. Carry the M1 more for all the reason mentioned above, but the thinner, less obtrusive carry of the M2 plus the more surgical tip make it awesome in its own right too.
- Holland, I think it's not just your imagination. Reprofiled both blades, and the Mantra1 outslices the 2.
What was the angle behind the edge on your M1(before reprofiling) ? Just curious
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Hi Elena,
not sure about the stock angle, sorry! No angle cube...
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

After handling them both, Mantra 1. Mantra 2 was a good knife, but it is missing the sort of quintessential spyderco features. Though I like the caly 3 better than both of them. It isnt quite as fast to deploy, but to me it feels much better in hand.
cjcutter

Post by cjcutter »

Well I now have both I have to say both are cool but the Mantra wins my vote over the Mantra 2.
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

Good to know, it will save me some $$$ for other things. I've never handled the mantra 2, just love my mantra.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF