Out of control

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TheRaven

Out of control

Post by TheRaven »

The liberals that is.

So yesterday, I see a hockey game at the Barclay Center in Brooklyn (one of NYCs 5 boroughs). You have to go through a metal detector before going in. I put my keys in a little tray, and I'm told, "we have to take this". My Victorinox Classic on keychain. I guess they automatically consider it a weapon???!!
Blerv

Re: Out of control

Post by Blerv »

You sure the conservatives didn't think it was terrorism related? :p
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

Stupid auto logout. You're on my ignore list.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

TheRaven wrote:Stupid auto logout. You're on my ignore list.
Hmm. Ok, I'm sorry. Was just kidding hence the "JK". I figured the other side of the "too liberal!" coin would be "too conservative!". Yin needs yang, etc.

Then again, if we just avoided politics per forum rules we wouldn't have to defend our soap box from others.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I know there are some who would disagree with me but I prefer to be cautious on the side of liberty and individual freedom, rather than safety. Example: I would rather a local movie theater have a sign that says: "You can bring any weapon you want with you, knives, guns, swords, you name it. We believe in individual freedom." Rather than they ban all weapons on the premises. Yes, even if that means I risk going to watch a movie and some crazed violent lunatic shooting or stabbing me. I would hope that would not happen and I would hope that because I and other responsible people can carry weapons and tools of defense, we could take that dangerous lunatic down before he or she got out of hand.

Same with airplanes. I would rather the TSA allow us to carry even fixed blade knives on our person, and take the risk that someone would abuse that policy, rather than banning all knives whatsoever even from responsible people such as you and myself. I believe in erring on the side of freedom as opposed to the side of banning things due to possible safety. Example: If I were in charge of the TSA then after 9/11 I would have said this on national and international television: "Instead of banning knives from airplane rides, we hereby encourage you to arm yourself and ride the planes armed with knives, and other self defense items, and, I encourage you decent, law abiding responsible citizens to all team up and grab any terrorist or violent attacker and use your knives and self defense items to destroy them before they can get out of hand and take the plane down or harm people." I mean, do you all agree that would be a much better policy that preserves freedom and liberty and also would scare the crap out of potential violent criminals and terrorists because by setting foot on that plane with the intention to harm you and I, they would basically be hanging themselves. Imagine for example what we Spyderco knife people could do to one of these violent killers if we were allowed to carry Enduras, Delicas, Salts, as well as Street Bowies and Mambas and knives like Benchmade Griptilians and other locking folders on the planes. I have a picture in my mind of one of those terrorists jumping up and then he looks to see fifty of us whip out our Enduras and Pacific Salts and say;" Oh really now?" and we subdue that monster. Only in self defense and defense of each other, if one of these killers attempted to harm us like that. You are free to disagree with me.

Man, Raven, that is not fair that they told you you can't take that Swiss Army Knife with you. That's sad.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm sure people know where I stand. Whether with carefully placed words or subtle joking (which is occasionally taken in offense).

Still, looking at historical accounts more predators carrying "weapons" have succeeded than prey carrying similar tools who have stopped them. In most those situations, it was a tackle that stopped the encounter. So...as a proud knife owner and dabbler in the martial arts I would recommend people learn how their bodies work before they buy tools to compensate for their inefficiency.

As for TheRaven, I'll gladly Paypal you the $18 or ship out a new Vic Classic. It's a bummer they took your knife; even a damned liberal would agree. :o
paladin

Post by paladin »

Hope there was no emotional attachment to your Vic...sorry for you loss

Could you have went back to your car & left it there? I know this doesn't address the lunacy of confiscating a SAK, but you would not have lost your knife at least...

Blerv doesn't need me to defend him, it seems plain to me it was in jest, and he's one of us...you know, brothers in steel-- we are all Independant Knifeocraticpublicans here on the boards! :spyder: :) :spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

paladin wrote:Knifeocraticpublicans here on the boards!
More and more these days that's the only political party I truly align with. :D

Knife seizures at sporting events is certainly a new low. :(
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Sorry for your loss...and I know it doesn't make any sense...a few years back a friend of mine took his 12 years old kid to his first ball game ever...Yankee Stadium....while going thru the checkpoint guards took my friend's nail clipper that was on his key chain calling it a dangerous weapon. He didn't want to make a fuss and have his kid disappointed at his first game ever, so he figured what the heck, keep the nail clippers...I'll get a new one on the way home for a $1.00 was his thinking...So off they go programs in hand into the stadium where they proceed to hand out 50,000 freaking BATS to people......it was bat day.....go figure......Problem is not political...problem is stupidity! hmmm....they might be one and the same...but I'm no expert.....Doc:)
Sully

Post by Sully »

Sorry for the loss.

Overreaction.

Bierv for President!
gunnerjacky

Post by gunnerjacky »

Sometimes we need to sacrifice something for the safety of others. However, if people stop compromising with the safety regulations then it will be a hard time to have a law and order in the nation.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Blerv wrote:I'm sure people know where I stand.
Oh, so now you're rubbing it in the face of cripples who are wheelchair bound? :mad: Where's that ignore button... :p
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

gunnerjacky wrote:Sometimes we need to sacrifice something for the safety of others. However, if people stop compromising with the safety regulations then it will be a hard time to have a law and order in the nation.
... and that's the sort of thinking that's destroying our country. People willing to have thier freedoms and rights taken in exchange for "better safety".
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

jabba359 wrote:
Blerv wrote:I'm sure people know where I stand.
Oh, so now you're rubbing it in the face of cripples who are wheelchair bound? :mad: Where's that ignore button... :p
I don't know but if they add it they should put a "Like" button in too. :D
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am sorry for your loss but I am not surprised. They have not been allowing sharp things into sporting events for years. Since 9/11 I am sure all stadiums ban them but even before that I believe many did. The word fan comes from the word fanatic. Things at some sporting events get pretty heated at times and usually the alcohol is flowing freely. They have not wanted drunk fanatics to have sharp things for years. At least this has been my experience going to pro sports venues where I have lived. I have had nail clippers confiscated before and I have been questioned about my flashlight. I tried to enter the Pepsi Center here in Denver about 8 years ago to watch a Celtics/Nuggets game and had a rather expensive knife on me. We took public transit to the game so I had no car to go put it in. Security allowed me to check it at coat check. I was nervous about doing it as I had been drinking and was planning on drinking more. After being serious with the folks at the coat check about getting my knife back they assured me nobody would steal it and that they would give it back. After the game I returned to coat check fairly inebriated with my ticket and picked up my knife no questions asked. Not sure if that would ever work that way again but it did that time. Anyway, I should have known better that time and you probably should have this time. I don't agree with it but it is just the way it is and the way it has been for a while now. I don't agree with it but we have to deal with it.

P.S. I am sure Blerv was just joking. I am pretty sure he is on our side here.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I know there are some who would disagree with me but I prefer to be cautious on the side of liberty and individual freedom, rather than safety. Example: I would rather a local movie theater have a sign that says: "You can bring any weapon you want with you, knives, guns, swords, you name it. We believe in individual freedom." Rather than they ban all weapons on the premises. Yes, even if that means I risk going to watch a movie and some crazed violent lunatic shooting or stabbing me. I would hope that would not happen and I would hope that because I and other responsible people can carry weapons and tools of defense, we could take that dangerous lunatic down before he or she got out of hand.

Same with airplanes. I would rather the TSA allow us to carry even fixed blade knives on our person, and take the risk that someone would abuse that policy, rather than banning all knives whatsoever even from responsible people such as you and myself. I believe in erring on the side of freedom as opposed to the side of banning things due to possible safety. Example: If I were in charge of the TSA then after 9/11 I would have said this on national and international television: "Instead of banning knives from airplane rides, we hereby encourage you to arm yourself and ride the planes armed with knives, and other self defense items, and, I encourage you decent, law abiding responsible citizens to all team up and grab any terrorist or violent attacker and use your knives and self defense items to destroy them before they can get out of hand and take the plane down or harm people." I mean, do you all agree that would be a much better policy that preserves freedom and liberty and also would scare the crap out of potential violent criminals and terrorists because by setting foot on that plane with the intention to harm you and I, they would basically be hanging themselves. Imagine for example what we Spyderco knife people could do to one of these violent killers if we were allowed to carry Enduras, Delicas, Salts, as well as Street Bowies and Mambas and knives like Benchmade Griptilians and other locking folders on the planes. I have a picture in my mind of one of those terrorists jumping up and then he looks to see fifty of us whip out our Enduras and Pacific Salts and say;" Oh really now?" and we subdue that monster. Only in self defense and defense of each other, if one of these killers attempted to harm us like that. You are free to disagree with me.

Man, Raven, that is not fair that they told you you can't take that Swiss Army Knife with you. That's sad.
SEF,
I live in the state where the movie theater shooting happened and I can still carry a weapon in my theater which is only about 15 miles from the theater in Aurora where the shooting happened. Does your theater ban weapons? I can carry here at the zoo, the botanic gardens and at all the museums as of about a week ago. One of our museums did not allow ccw until just recently. Courts, schools, govt buildings, the airport and sporting events are the only restricted areas here. We can carry on college campuses here to. CU Boulder tried to ban them and got sued and lost. This gets a little grey here but basically any business is allowed to put up a sign that says they don't allow them but they cannot actually stop you or refuse to serve you. This is all grey and based on case law so you would have to fight for your right but others have and won.

I carried a Becker neck knife into a Denver govt building by accident because I forgot I had it on. Waited in line, went through a metal detector and got wanded by a guard. Nothing detected. They must have had the sensitivity turned way down. It wasn't a tiny knife. Security is an illusion. At least at that facility it was apparently all for show.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Sorry about the trouble man :/ Security is usually amped up at sporting events for the reasons previously stated by others. Alcohol, team driven adrenaline etc.
I was at Spring Training for the Los Angeles dodgers in AZ recently. First game I entered through the "VIP" gate with my Uncle and not a flying fart was given about my para clip clearly visible on my pocket. Next game was a whole different story... Waiting in line to get in, walk up to the "security" checkpoint where they did through your bag for a second (I didn't have a bag on me this time) and the lady looked at my pocket and yelled rather loud at me that I couldnt go into the stadium with the para (The stadiums rules on knives went by state law and I was completely within legal carry limitations) I went to get out of line when she said it was absolutely mandatory that I give the knife to her. I told her it absolutely was not. She said again that I HAD to give it to her. I then politely as possible but very firmly stated that she had no right to confiscate any of my personal property as I had not violated any rules or regulations and had not yet entered the stadium. I walked about 100 feet away, clipped the knife inside my waistband and went through a different checkpoint. No problems after that. It is an absolute pain to deal with security sometimes :/
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sorry for your loss, OP. That is unfortunate.

While I've never had a knife confiscated while attending sporting events, concerts, etc., I have had a few close calls: On one occasion a few years ago, my wife and I went to see the band Alabama at the Fox Theater in Detroit, Michigan. I was carrying my Sebenza at the time and my wife cautioned me to leave it in the truck. I declined, stating "I'll be fine. It's not like they'll have a metal detector at the door." Um, yeah. I was wrong. Turns out they DID have a metal detector at the door. :o So, back to the truck I went. I ended up being a little late for the opening song.

On a side note, I agree with the others that Blerv was simply just being funny regarding your post and was not trying to be offensive towards you.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
gunnerjacky

Post by gunnerjacky »

this_is_nascar wrote:
gunnerjacky wrote:Sometimes we need to sacrifice something for the safety of others. However, if people stop compromising with the safety regulations then it will be a hard time to have a law and order in the nation.
... and that's the sort of thinking that's destroying our country. People willing to have thier freedoms and rights taken in exchange for "better safety".
The root cause of all problems is desire my friend. As long as people are having desires, this world will see no peace.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Interesting that a confiscated knife is automatically a political issue... is the ban on knives at the venue state sponsored or is it imposed by the owner/manager of the arena? or even the league?

Honestly, I think that legal pocket knives and firearms carried by folks with a permit should be allowed in public spaces, but the owners of private property have the right to name their own rules.

What really seems stupid is that they can't be bothered to keep your knife and let you pick it up after the event... used to do it with hats and coats at many venues in the past. Confiscating the knife without offering return is just plain theft.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...