Mantra or Mantra2? Opinions wanted.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cjcutter

Mantra or Mantra2? Opinions wanted.

Post by cjcutter »

I like larger folders and have not owned a spyderco flipper before but am thinking I would like to pull the trigger on one of these. I see the difference as far as one has a spydie hole and one not so much. So let me have it. Or maybe the Caly3. Thanks
Evil D

Re: Mantra or Mantra2? Opinions wanted.

Post by Evil D »

Well, your opinion may vary but I wouldn't consider any of the 3 you mentioned "larger" folders, but of the two I like the Mantra 2 much more than the 1, though I also don't dislike the 1 at all.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I just got to handle both last week at Knifeworks. I think I prefer the 1 over the 2. It is much like a ti Delica in m4. What's not to like! Both were VERY impressive knives.
cjcutter

Post by cjcutter »

Ok let's add this into the mix domino or positron? Desions
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

For me the Mantra was a no brainer between Mantra and Mantra2. Spydie hole and from what I could tell it should be a touch better slicer. I know I'm not going to be well received on my next point but if I was looking at the Mantra 2, I'd sooner pick up a ZT 0450. Now before I get kicked out of the forum, this is mainly because of the seemingly hit and miss issues with the bearings race on the Mantras, (mine is near perfect). The 450's from what I've read all seem to be perfect. And they appear to be very comparable knives if you don't factor the steels into the equation. I agree with Evil that most of us don't consider your choices to be larger folders, but both the Mantras and the Caly 3, (I've got a 3.5 in zdp) are capable and great knives. My vote goes for Mantra.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Spyderhole of the mantra was the deciding factor for me. The hole functions perfectly so (unlike the mantra 2) you've got two ways of opening the knife. I like the option of not being required to used the flipper.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I opted for the 2, but havent carried it yet, got it when they first dropped, it just seems kinda small for me. I've been really digging the larger blades lately. My domino is still my best flipper (BBS 204p). I have never handled the mantra (usable hole) so cant really compare in that regard.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Unless you're in a huge hurry, the Bradley Tac 1s flipper might be more to your taste as a larger flipper.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

For me, I prefer the Mantra 1. Why?
1) Flipper. Obvious. Alternatives: Southard, Positron, Domino, Dice, Rubicon, Mamba. However, the Mantra has better flipping action, to me, than most if not all of those. Of the ones I've handled, the Domino is good and the Positron is good, but I don't care for the others' action.
2) Full Ti construction. This alone excludes all of the above. I don't hate the Domino/Dice scales but they're not great. CF handles I could do, but other considerations lean against those(Positron/Rubicon/Mamba). Southard G-10 is just boring for me.
3) Functional SpyderHole. This is definitely a personal preference, but I like having the hole. First, more opening options is a plus for me; slow roll to open in front of the public is handy, plus yes, I am a knife fidgeter. Second, I like the Spyderco aesthetic with the hole, and it makes the knife look more like a Spyderco.
4) Overall design. In combination with the hole, I like the look of the Mantra 1 better. It looks more like a Spyderco, and it looks like an updated Delica or Caly3. The Rubicon and Mamba just aren't my style. The Domino is probably my next choice after the Mantra, but the Dice doesn't flip well for me(I think the action was transplanted from the Domino but not adjusted enough for the smaller blade).

Now if you handed me a Mantra 2, I wouldn't turn it down. I just personally find that the Mantra 1 ticks all my Spyderco flipper boxes. All the others are missing something. I almost pulled the trigger on the Positron in lieu of a Domino, but when the Mantra came out I didn't do that because I didn't have to compromise on good handles(Positron) vs Spyderhole(Domino).

I've excluded sprints and models not yet released. Even so, I think I'd still prefer the Mantra 1.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
cjcutter

Post by cjcutter »

Well I got both coming, plus domino,positron,and all black southard. Hey go big or go home. Curse you Spyderco! :spyder:
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

cjcutter wrote:Well I got both coming, plus domino,positron,and all black southard. Hey go big or go home. Curse you Spyderco! :spyder:
Once you've been bit, you just can't quit :D :spyder:
Holland

Post by Holland »

I prefer the mantra over the mantra 2 for 3 main reasons:

Functional spyderhole
Taller blade translates into thinner edge (might be my imagination) :D
And it's the more "spyderco" design of the 2 imo

Ymmv ;)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Whichever you opt for, you'll probably love it so much the other will be an eventual purchase too. At least that's my boat - started with the M1, and had to get the M2 soon after. Carry the M1 more for all the reason mentioned above, but the thinner, less obtrusive carry of the M2 plus the more surgical tip make it awesome in its own right too.
- Holland, I think it's not just your imagination. Reprofiled both blades, and the Mantra1 outslices the 2.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Well, that escalated quickly.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

cjcutter wrote:Well I got both coming, plus domino,positron,and all black southard. Hey go big or go home. Curse you Spyderco! :spyder:
Awesome! Can't wait to read the full report ;)

FWIW I've had all of those minus the Southard (plus the Dice) and the Mantra2 is my favorite.
Teo

Post by Teo »

hoimin wrote:Well, that escalated quickly.

Lol! Doesn't it always happen that way though!
timlara

Post by timlara »

hoimin wrote:Well, that escalated quickly.
ROFL! :D

Between the Mantras, I prefer the 2 precisely *because* it's more different from a Delica than the 1. Not that I don't like the Delica...I've just got a few already. I like the super slim carry of the Mantra 2 in pocket, and I find the blade shape to actually be really useful for my light EDC uses. It's a little bit more nimble than a wider leaf blade. Worked great the other day to trim the excess off of some newly installed window screens.
knolan

Post by knolan »

I've been reluctant to purchase the Mantra, even though I think it's a great design w/impressive materials for the $$, due to the reports of dented bearing races and poor flipping action due to a weak detent...and frankly, Spyderco's silence (unless I missed a factory rep or Sal reply) in view of these claims.

Anyone in this thread experienced these issues? Just hate to send a new knife in for warranty work the moment I get it.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Mantra vs Mantra 2 - Mantra
Domino vs Positron - Domino, by a mile
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

knolan wrote:I've been reluctant to purchase the Mantra, even though I think it's a great design w/impressive materials for the $$, due to the reports of dented bearing races and poor flipping action due to a weak detent...and frankly, Spyderco's silence (unless I missed a factory rep or Sal reply) in view of these claims.

Anyone in this thread experienced these issues? Just hate to send a new knife in for warranty work the moment I get it.
Hi knolan, I can't speak to any issues with the bearing races, but I had an opportunity to handle both the Mantra and the Mantra 2 at knifeworks last week. Both of them had by far the best flipping action of any Spyderco flipper I've had or handled.