Customer service blows.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mt Goat

Post by Mt Goat »

An update on my Gunting situation: I received a package today from Spyderco. I assumed it was my repaired or replaced PE Gunting. The enclosed letter said Model Received: PE Gunting and Model Replaced PE Gunting. Unfortunately, the knife enclosed was a CE Chinook II. I have never owned a Chinook II nor a CE Chinook of any model.

This is what I get after waiting over 8.5 weeks for my brand new PE Gunting to be fixed. If this is the new level of customer service at Spyderco I fear for the future of the company.
ceya

Post by ceya »

Guys , Alot of crap is going on here. Sal had passed the word well ahead of time to let us know what is going on at Spyderco.

We have done and have been in the same situation in personal and professional life.

We can just bare with the changes as this is to better the company. We have prasied the company alot til the changes. As with most changes things slow down alot.

Remember we had prior word from the TOP Dog from the company and other sections pulled their weight to help us be happy.

S/F,
CEYA!
Ceya Knife Designz
ceya

Post by ceya »

I have not recieved an email still. just for your FYI.

S/F,
CEYA!
Mt Goat

Post by Mt Goat »

ceya -

If your post is a reply to mine I don't know what you are taking about? As far as Sal forwarning us about problems in W/R, this is his first post on the subject in this forum, the Spyderco forum, to my knowledge. As far as your e-mail offers, please send me one if you have a NIB S30V PE Gunting you want to trade for a CE Chinook II.
ceya

Post by ceya »

Mr. Goat,
Email offer was to Skcusloa only to fix his problem. If you see links to Blade forums' Spyderco forum you will see that word was pass and folks here was also pass on this thread.

Everybody has a right to complain and bring to light problem they encounter. This is what make this and other forums like it,when the Big Dog speaks to the masses and listen.

People was dowing Spyderco due to changes being made.

MY personal opinion and thought .

Semper Fidelis,
Ceya!
Ceya Knife Designz
ceya

Post by ceya »

double post.

S/F,
CEYA!

Edited by - ceya on 6/1/2004 8:49:25 PM
hawkbill

Post by hawkbill »

Ceya:
If you don't have the Delica in question, let me know which one. I may have it laying around. If so, I'll do the switch with this disgruntled customer. I too will happily submit the defective Delica at a later point for replacement.

I am what I am, and that's all that I am. Popeye
ceya

Post by ceya »

Hawkbill, Thanks for the back up but he has not emailed me. i think he may wait til Spyderco or has spoken to them already.

S/F,
CEYA!
Ceya Knife Designz
The General

Post by The General »

Its a sad reflection of life when we believe that going in hard is the only way to get results. It is also sad when so many insults are traded when a customer has an apparently genuine gripe. I love Spyderco and Spyderco admit they had a problem and have now sorted it. It is a real shame so many people were 'hurt' in the transition period, but to Spyderco's credit they were openly admitting there was a problem and they were on the case. My experience with a different knife company... no names... was that a certain knife had a list of problems, I returned the knife and it was the same, I posted a question on their own forum about my problems and all of a sudden a lot of customers agreed they had the same problem. I was banned the same day and the thread was deleted IIRC. I e-mailed the company several times with my concerns and finially got a response which was basiclly "get stuffed". Now that is customer service to gripe about. Guess the name of the company guys? Hint, its not Spyderco, or Chris Reeve, or Strider!

Why not visit britishblades.com? http://www.britishblades.com/forums/ind ... errerid=41
mystillwater

Post by mystillwater »

i've had some customer service woes as well. i agree. the money you pay for a spyderco INCLUDES having working knives and reliable customer service. i've had favorable customer service experiences with every knife company i've delt with. even a favorable one with spyderco but times are changing. i'm another spyderco fan spending my money elsewhere until they get their act together. there are great knives being made by many other companies. this is a competitive market and at the present time, spyderco is sliping behind. keep up on QC and keep up on the W/R dept. and you'll keep your customers. good blades aren't enough.

it is typical of this forum to see people react violently to anything even remotly negative about spyderco even if it's obviously true. we all are here because there is a spyderco that spends alot of time in our pockets. that doesn't mean we turn a blind eye to the reality of the company. it DOES mean we give them the benefit of the doubt...but for a new customer this is a dark day to buy a spyderco product.
ceya

Post by ceya »

Mystillwater,
I agree with you . As you see I was willing to help out a person who was new and not getting much help. I stepped in to help ease his pain with Spyderco W/R Dept, as Hawkbill offered to help also.

In my other post I stated people to gripe if unhappy.People here think just because you are a big or small company it is easy. Just like parents you do the best to get the job done.

Sal has been getting fixing the problems that we stated were in need of fixing. I know Sal and Co. will be back up to satifiy us with the outstanding work we have come to know.

I will complain and gripe if I don't see some thing being done but there is something being done at Spyderco.

S/F,
CEYA!
Ceya Knife Designz

edit to make corrections!!

Edited by - ceya on 6/2/2004 9:43:54 PM
mystillwater

Post by mystillwater »

in defense of spyderco...

i'm the purchasing agent in a small company. we are small in terms of the size of our facility and staff but we have a very large nationwide presence in our feild. some of you may do business with us and not have any idea how few people are involved. i spend alot of extra time in the office and on the road and deal with alot of extra stress becuase of the size of our comapany. if we have a big week with more orders than usual i may end up taping up boxes and picking product after hours or something like that just to keep us up to speed. if i'm sick for a day or two then our customers feel it. it's alot of pressure on me and sometimes it gets to me. i can imagine that spyderco employee's are in a similar position and my heart goes out to them. i hope to see them take on some great new help and get back on their feet. that's why i don't get too upset when a company like spyderco or benchmade sends a few of their models overseas because it frees up their best workers to do what they do best and lets someone else take care of the rest.
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Agreed

Spyderco is one of a kind overall, they have been this way from their birth.
Even through rough patches they always strive to do the best they can at the time of the problem.

My first blades which I adored where all Gerber, I will not touch them now, EVER.
Fiskar's can go straigh to H#LL.
They have already refused to take back a defective Guardian Backup, eventually after months of fighting they agreed, but I would have to foot the bill to UPS the blade to the USA and then pay the cost for them to return ship it.
Now I have a Gerber Gator, my most beloved multitool which brags about all this cr@p of been able to withstand X amount of tons of pressure.....YE SURE GERBER...thats why the darn metal rod which stops the handle from folding out anymore when open SNAPPED in my LEO friends hand while he was crimping a soft electrical terminal.
Now Gerber state they firstly do not repair anything out of warentee EVEN IF I WANT TO PAY FOR IT, secondly they will not touch my Gerber unless I can prove it was broken in my friends hand and not via some malicious damage.

What a load of bull cr....

With companies like this we must remember just how good Spyderco's service really is.

Cheers

MaNcEr

It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum
Tony

Post by Tony »

I've had no problems with Mike at customer service, but to avoid the hassles with Spyderco's keeping my knife and not knowing the condition of the returned product,I contact Ron and discuss what I want done.The cost is always reasonable, and I always know that the work done to the knife is better than I expected.I know that this may seem to some that I have money to throw away on something that should have been right the first time, ( I don't ), but sometimes you have to ask yourself how much is my time worth and is it worth the aggrivation waiting on a response or the knife coming back better than when I sent it.With Ron, I know it will be perfect.
delicrazy

Post by delicrazy »

Sal telling us that there is going to be a warrenty and repair delay isn't all that helpful. Those of us who frequent the forums make up a small percentage of users. Customers deserve good customer service, period. I had a problem with a chinook, sent Mike an email, which he never replied to, and called him after about a week. he wasnt in his office, but i left a message and he called me back in 20 minutes. We talked for a while, and he promised hed get my knife fixed. i never ended up sending that knife in, so i cant comment on that, but the originall contact was pretty good.

I kind of expected that after 3 pages of customer service getting slammed, Sal would apoligize and try to make things right, the two sentance response put me off a little bit, i only hope that you are planning a more detailed post when you have the time...
UK KEN

Post by UK KEN »

Hello all!

I love Spyderco products and on the two occasions that I have had small problems with knives they were sorted out within a very short space of time. That does not blind me to the fact that a number customer here have had less than satisfactory results recently.

Things must be very different culturally in the U.S.A! The fact that this forum is provided free of charge and regularly visited by the company owner came as a surprise to me. I can’t name one single UK firm that provides this facility. Suggest that a UK head of company spent time keeping in touch with his customers and he’d die laughing!

Sal’s personal involvement in itself is IMHO very commendable. Not only does he listen, but provides answers when ever he is able. The fact that he has acknowledged the fact that there has been a problem is again something that simply wouldn’t happen in the UK.

Any organisation can suffer occasionally from difficulties within their structure. By the time the problem is identified the resultant back log may take some time to clear even when a “fix” has been put in place. It is never pleasant to feel that you have been let down but I’m sure that with a little more tolerance everyone will be satisfied in the end.

Regards Ken

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.
delicrazy

Post by delicrazy »

while that may be the way it is in the U.K., it is certainly not like that in America. If you dont like a company, you move on. I believe that this forum is a bit more sinister than you believe. Think about it, some of the most knife knowledgable people willing to communicate with spyderco for free. essentially, the older members train the newer members, and 2000+ knowledgable users provide the best feedback possible. If the grind is off 4 degrees, we are exactly the kind of people to bring it up, and thats the kind of stuff spyderco wants to hear about, think about it. If a new design comes out and the forum members rip it apart, you better believe its going to be rethought, or dropped all together. For the service we provide, i think it is only reasonable to expect some conversation with the company head. I can go to bladeforums and do the same with many leading blade manufacturers. If knife users dont like a company, they can feel free to move elsewhere, and this is what may happen. If your willing to trade off explanitory responses and well staffed departments for an under run warrenty department and short vague responses, by all means go ahead, but the customer base will most likely be traded too. If im over the line here, someone please correct me, but i think what i have said makes sense.
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Personally, (and I'm not just talking about knives here), I purchase products that I've had good experience with, and those that have a customer service that treats me well.

If I get bad customer service, then I go out of my way never to buy from that business/manufacturer/retailer again. Period.

A good example is Sears' Craftsman products; if you break the item, Sears replaces it, no questions asked. Several times, I've walked into Sears with a broken Craftsman product, and I walked out with a new one. NO HASSLES at all! That keeps me coming back. I can't ask for any more than that. If it's broken, they make it right, and they do it immediately.

I suspect I'm not the only one whose decision to stay with a company based on their customer service practices.

Sniper -- One Shot, One Kill Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com