Coarse texture G10 Paramilitary 2 and Yojimbo 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpeedHoles

Coarse texture G10 Paramilitary 2 and Yojimbo 2?

Post by SpeedHoles »

I just read in the latest Spyderco Byte email that there will be some Coarse texture black G10 Paramilitary 2 and Yojimbo 2's available.

How would one go about getting one? Parts numbers are the same I think.
Just wondering...
Going back to Caly.
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: Coarse texture G10 Paramilitary 2 and Yojimbo 2?

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

This topic comes up from time to time here, so hopefully this picture will shed better light on how coarse these G10 scales will be. :)

Below are three different G10 scales with increasing degrees of coarseness. On the bottom is a standard Manix 2, with the regular fairly fine texture G10 used on PM2s, Millies, M2s, N5s, etc. Next is the BD30P Manix 2 sprint with "medium" coarse G10, and on top is a Southard scale dyed black. The Southard has true "coarse" G10 as the manufacturers and knife suppliers define it.

My Domino and Pingo in the other thread are also true coarse scales. As I understand the SpyderByte story, the limited run of PM2s and Yo2s will have scales more akin to the BD30P sprint (middle) below. Hope that helps! Cheers, Radioactive :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Well, I think the burning question is
how does one know which G10 texture they are buying
and conversely how might one order a specific texture.
It doesn't seem that difficult for the Company to add a code,
such as G10C for coarse texture.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Just saw this in the Byte too. I think it is pretty cool that Spyderco chose to divulge this temporary change-up on the PM2 and Yo2 models. From a user's standpoint, I imagine that some folks may actually prefer the coarser texture over the finer texture. I'd also be willing to bet that these two models may eventually become more collectable given their limited production numbers and unique back story. (Kind of like the S30V Techno).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

SpyderNut wrote:Just saw this in the Byte too. I think it is pretty cool that Spyderco chose to divulge this temporary change-up on the PM2 and Yo2 models. From a user's standpoint, I imagine that some folks may actually prefer the coarser texture over the finer texture. I'd also be willing to bet that these two models may eventually become more collectable given their limited production numbers and unique back story. (Kind of like the S30V Techno).
I just read the news, and thought the exact same thing. I think the only regret Spyderco may have here is a new demand not only for different steels, blade shapes, colors, and handle materials within the same model, but now different G10 textures! We love our variety and customizability, though I doubt they'd give in to this idea. I'm interested to see what people think of it on this platform, as I don't see any coarse PM2's making their way to my pockets. I'm assuming it was only a batch of black which I have no need for. I enjoy my Southard's G10 very much. Is it going to be that same texture exactly?
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I much prefer course texture G10.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I'd like to check out one of these coarse pieces, I wonder how hard it will be to snag one, we should keep this thread updated if anyone finds out where to buy.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Seems that the only avenue at present is to ask a cooperative dealer to look in a few boxes, or if you have a local B&M of course you could check that way. If the blue Yo2 or black blade PM2 were on my list, I'd definitely go all out to get the coarse one. If it had been the satin blade, I might have put one on my list, though right now the jade M4 is the only PM2 I'm planning for.

The label coding system is probably too engraved in stone to alter for a G-10 variation, but they might be persuaded to somehow mark the boxes.

I think the G-10 variations will be a welcomed must-buy for people who want a complete collection of Yojimbos or PM2's.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

The camo scales on my C81GCMOBK2 feel coarser or grippier than the black scales on my buddy's all black PM2.

I personally prefer it.

In the article, Spyderco describes the deviation as an "unexpected problem". They didn't realize the difference until after the scales had been machined and the protective layer was peeled off.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

DougC-3 wrote:The label coding system is probably too engraved in stone to alter for a G-10 variation, but they might be persuaded to somehow mark the boxes.
Yes, by all means. Clearly there is some demand for it.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I prefer the finer texture.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I bought a Yojimbo 2 from the Spyderco Factory Outlet store two weeks ago. Its manufacturing date according to the box is January/2016 or AP. I got to thinking last night that my Yojimbo 2 might have the coarser G10 mentioned in this months Spyderbyte. So this morning I compared it to my satin/black PM2 and my DLC/Black PM2. I first compared it to my satin PM2 and I thought the Yojimbo's texture was much coarser, but when I compared it to the DLC version it kinda looked the same. I'm not convinced either way. I will say that the G10 on my Yojimbo 2 does feel pretty grippy, but I figured that was just because it was brand new and hasn't had a chance to wear down yet. Here are some side by sides.

What do you guys think?

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Anyone?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

They appear the same, or atleast very very similar, texture.
Seems like they can almost be viewed in terms of resolution, or "pixels", of how coarse or how fine...
Going back to Caly.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yeah I figured as much. I'd be interested to see someone post the coarser g10 should they receive one.

@liquid_cobra
remnar

Post by remnar »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Yeah I figured as much. I'd be interested to see someone post the coarser g10 should they receive one.
Here's the picture from the Spyderco byte.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd love it even more course than that, like Kershaw used on their G10 Leek.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I just read this in Spyderbyte earlier today. I'd give the course G10 a try.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:As I understand the SpyderByte story, the limited run of PM2s and Yo2s will have scales more akin to the BD30P sprint (middle) below. Hope that helps! Cheers, Radioactive :)

I'm guessing this is spot on as to what will be the case. Probably same texture as that BD30P Manix 2.
I doubt it will be ultra course.

Mad Mac wrote:Well, I think the burning question is
how does one know which G10 texture they are buying
and conversely how might one order a specific texture.

Yep, that was my basic question! It sounds like it'll just be a roll of the dice whether one can be accurately sourced...
Now wondering how many retailers are going to get sick of answering calls requesting they go through their boxes of fresh black Paramilitary 2's and Yojimbo 2's and start feeling for texture! :p

And, another random shot of G10 variation. I forgot my black Wilkins Grip was the course style (also have a brown in alternatively very smooth G10).

Seems the Chokwe has similar ever so slightly courser G10 like the Southard as well. Maybe not quite as course as we will be seeing on this mistake batch we are discussing.
Going back to Caly.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I just bought an all black Para 2 from Knifeworks. It arrived yesterday and is for sure the coarse G10. I'll see if I can get some pics of it and post them. I talked to them on the phone this morning and ALL of the stock that they currently have is coarse G10 (for the all black model only).
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford