Think I want me a 3rd Manix?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Think I want me a 3rd Manix?

Post by benben »

Thinking about picking up another Manix, I have an older 154CM hollow grind and a LW S110v already. Thinking about going with the standard S30V FFG, to me it seems like a lot of knife for the money. I've thought about biting the bullet and trying to find a M4 or Cru-wear sprint to get the skeletonized liners but I know how expensive they are on the secondary market. I could go with the new burple S110V to get the liners but I feel I can get the 154CM and some of my other S30V knives so much sharper than S110V.

I've told myself that a Yojimbo 2 was next and with so many great knives coming out soon there's just too many to choose from but for some reason I'm just wanting another Manix? Knowing what I already have, what would some of you guys choose?
palonej

Re: Think I want me a 3rd Manix?

Post by palonej »

I felt the same way recently and went with the blurple......and I'm so glad I did!! Best F&F, fantastic edge....sharpest of any Spydie I have.....super smooth and flicks like a rocket!! Can't go wrong with this one bro!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Love the M2, great knife, right up there in my top 3 probably, my most recent was the S110V G10 and must say the one I got was absolutely perfect, centering, blade grind, pivot tension and F&F. For the money it was a great deal(highly recommended). I also really like the Cruwear, so much I actually bought a back up. I do have the creme de la creme coming my way....the M4 BBS exclusive, been wanting that one for some time now, very hard to find.

I also have the sprint 154/S90v CF on pre-order, its almost impossible to find the original S90V sprint from a few years back so opting for this years sprint.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
benben

Post by benben »

So basically $40 more for the S110V and liners over the standard S30V model, worth it huh? Don't get me wrong, I love my S110V LW model but the steel is just different/weird to me. I only have a Sharpmaker and doing the old thumb test it just never really feels sharp to me, but it still cuts like a lazer, good working edge I guess. I've got a couple of odd Spyderco's I never use, think I'll unload them and get that Yojimbo and Burple Manix and LW S110V Native and PM3 and...................
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'd go blurple. Skeletonized liners really help the balance.
zacmangray

Post by zacmangray »

I carry the M2 more then any of my other knifes. I recently had the same urge, the urge for another M2. I bought the G10 s110v, it is a great knife, glad it has the skeletonized liners. Very well balanced and put together. I would definitely recommend it. And even though the s110v is amazing, I still find myself grabbing my black s30v blade for a lot of use. Well now that I think about it I think I always have the urge to buy another Manix, haha. :p
:spyder: LWManix2s110v,MuleTeamCPM4V,Dragonfly,
DLCorangePM2XHP,PurpleDragonfly,PurpleDelica,BBCEDelica,Caly3,BBManix2,DBs110vManix2 :spyder:
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I've found that a lot of steels need a sharpening or few before the true attributes of the steel start to show. S110V can be challenging to sharpen for sure, if using the SM diamond rods are a must in my opinion. I've found the trick with s110v is to not let it get very dull. When I get a new blade I take it to my edge pro and do a nice re-bevel then maintain/micro it on the SM, seems to work good for me and touch up every couple of days, you know just a few passes per side or heck even just strop it some. S110V is not my very favorite steel but I like it. My favorites are M4, Cruwear, Super blue and believe it or not CTS-XHP.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, I would probably get the Yojimbo 2 despite the Manix 2 being one of my top 5 favorites, simply because it's a sweet knife and I like variety more than redundancy. But, I do feel that the FFG versions are the best and I wouldn't be happy with the old hollow grind blade, so I would feel the need for another G10 version, so I would probably be very tempted in trying to find the M4 version, as that's one of the best Manix 2's out there.

But, (remember you asked what I would do LOL) there's also this 52100 Military coming out and I'm a huge Military fan, so that's where my knife funds would be going (and they actually are). But, if you like the Manix 2 for size or blade length reasons, I'd probably try to find that M4 version or just buy the standard S30V. Actually the DLC Manix 2 is a really sweet knife too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
benben

Post by benben »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Evil, you're right, I'm going to stick to my original plan and get a Yojimbo next. Since saying the Yo is next I've bought an orange Dragonfly and a Stretch ahead of it. Guess a Burple S110V Manix will have to wait. Thanks for the suggestion on the 52100 Military, I'm going to do a little research on that steel.

One last question, is the Yojimbo a pocket hog like the Manix width wise? I've never held or seen one in person.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

You can not have enough manixes.

At this point i have 12 of them and i have nr 13 , 14 and 15 on my order list. :D
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

benben wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. Evil, you're right, I'm going to stick to my original plan and get a Yojimbo next. Since saying the Yo is next I've bought an orange Dragonfly and a Stretch ahead of it. Guess a Burple S110V Manix will have to wait. Thanks for the suggestion on the 52100 Military, I'm going to do a little research on that steel.

One last question, is the Yojimbo a pocket hog like the Manix width wise? I've never held or seen one in person.
The Yojimbo 2 seems to be far less of a "pocket hog" than the Manix, in my experience. But neither one is really bad in that regard. I think a lot of this has to do with the Yo2's uniquely shaped handle, though (especially when carrying it tip-up).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Did I mention this one showed up in the mail yesterday, didn't think I would ever be able to find one BNIB, the M4 on this one is razor sharp, got a small cut right off the bat, don't even know how it happened. :)

palonej

Post by palonej »

That is absolutely gorgeous Dan!! I think my eye is bleeding!! I was ogling however!
Enjoy it my friend!!!
Joe
paladin

Post by paladin »

how about a Manix XL?....it's a winner!
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

I would seek an original.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

benben wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. Evil, you're right, I'm going to stick to my original plan and get a Yojimbo next. Since saying the Yo is next I've bought an orange Dragonfly and a Stretch ahead of it. Guess a Burple S110V Manix will have to wait. Thanks for the suggestion on the 52100 Military, I'm going to do a little research on that steel.

I did a little unboxing video way back when they were first released. If you skip to 10:40 I do some width comparisons. I didn't have a Manix 2 at the time but they're pretty similar, the Manix is actually a tad bit wider in most places.

https://youtu.be/nJlAWi1FAJw
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
benben

Post by benben »

Thanks Evil, great video ! Can't believe I never saw it before, You're a pretty good salesman ! Yeah, it's next. I've found a vendor that has them but I usually buy from the Cutlery Shoppe and I can't remember the last time they had them, on back order forever.