More Brad Southard Please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

More Brad Southard Please

Post by Liquid Cobra »

My main EDC is the Black Southard. I absolutely love that knife. The blade steel, the handle/blade ratio, the ergonomics, the flipping action, the low width in the pocket. I could go on. Yes I own the Positron and yes I love that knife too. I'm just hoping we haven't seen the end of the Spyderco/Brad Southard collaborations. Is there anything else in the work? Does anyone else feel like I do?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
razrman8

Re: More Brad Southard Please

Post by razrman8 »

Lonely nights in Denver catching up to you, eh? ;)

On a real note, I can appreciate the Southard and can see how it could be utilized as a great carry knife. I had the brown G10 version, and as excited as I was to receive it, after I obtained it, it wasn't what I thought it would be. Great construction, very well made, solid ergonomics, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I ended up selling it. The only thing that has me on the fence about getting another one is the fact that the black/black Southard looks ten times better than the brown/satin one. To be honest, I think that might have been why I wasn't so attached to it? Because the aesthetics of the brown/satin weren't appealing to me.

Enough of me rambling. Do I want more Brad/Spyderco collabs? Absolutely, I'm a guy that loves options. Hope Brad decides to stop in for ya!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I like Brad's designs but don't own any. Personally I would like to see new collabs with other makers but each of those is more risky than repeating a successful formula.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Didn't you see demoncase's notes re: Amsterdam? :)
demoncase wrote: Southard comp locked, BOLSTERED carbon fibre flipper with a recurve blade- ALL OF MY YES!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BAqrpQoB6s_/ :D

Enjoy!
Last edited by hoimin on Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I have the all black Southard and love everything about it except for the pocket clip. I need to replace the clip with something less annoying, then I can give it the pocket time it deserves. I'm all for more collabs with Brad though. His designs are great, and more choices for everyone is a great thing.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Liquid Cobra wrote:My main EDC is the Black Southard. I absolutely love that knife. The blade steel, the handle/blade ratio, the ergonomics, the flipping action, the low width in the pocket. I could go on. Yes I own the Positron and yes I love that knife too. I'm just hoping we haven't seen the end of the Spyderco/Brad Southard collaborations. Is there anything else in the work? Does anyone else feel like I do?
Yes. The Black Southard is awesome. The Stainless Southard is gorgeous. Its a fantastic Spydie imo.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Spyderco Southard may be my least favorite Spydie of all time. Don't care for the blade shape, don't care for the looks and worst of all, the ergonomics just do not work for me at all.

Ok, now that I've got all that negativity out of the way, I will say that I have often perused Mr. Southard's site and I really like a lot of his designs. He has a few modified wharncliffes that just look amazing. I would definitely be happy to see more collaborations.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Surfingringo wrote:The Spyderco Southard may be my least favorite Spydie of all time. Don't care for the blade shape, don't care for the looks and worst of all, the ergonomics just do not work for me at all.

At least it's still one of your favorites though. ;)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

razrman8 wrote:Lonely nights in Denver catching up to you, eh? ;)
This literally made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that. You're absolutely right. Still here for three more days...

razrman8 wrote:The only thing that has me on the fence about getting another one is the fact that the black/black Southard looks ten times better than the brown/satin one. To be honest, I think that might have been why I wasn't so attached to it? Because the aesthetics of the brown/satin weren't appealing to me.
The brown/satin combo is what turned me off initially too. When I saw they were developing a black version I knew I had to get one. Try it out, you won't be disappointed.
hoimin wrote:Didn't you see demoncase's notes re: Amsterdam? :)
demoncase wrote: Southard comp locked, BOLSTERED carbon fibre flipper with a recurve blade- ALL OF MY YES!

Enjoy!
I have seen that. Seriously hoping Spyderco rolls with this idea. A southard flipping comp lock? I can't even comprehend how fun that would be.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Spydersense wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:The Spyderco Southard may be my least favorite Spydie of all time. Don't care for the blade shape, don't care for the looks and worst of all, the ergonomics just do not work for me at all.

At least it's still one of your favorites though. ;)
That's some "glass half full" thinking there brother. Good work!! :D
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

1) Compression lock flipper. Yep. Sign me up.
2) One of the reasons I am such a huge fan of Spyderco is their collaborations with other designers. It shows confidence in their in-house products, and shows a willingness to look outside of their own box. So I'm all about more collabs, especially with a designer with whom the company has made a couple of successful products. More Southard, more Bradley, more Slysz.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

I don't see why they wouldn't run with the comp-lock flipper collaboration with Brad. The opening and closing mechanisms all in the same area of the knife makes a lot of sense ergonomically (sorry lefties). With Spyderco's new willingness to use non-functional Spyderholes (makes a decent 'nail-nick' actually), and Brad already having done the research and design work into executing a compression lock flipper, it's a no-brainer.

The tricky part is in the refinement of the rest of the knife. Each Southard collaboration so far has been surprisingly polarizing in the Spyderco community due to some of the odder design decisions: the Southard Flipper's clip and asymmetrical handle thickness; the Positron's pointy butt and overall handle thickness for a slim slicer.
dplafoll wrote:More Southard, more Bradley, more Slysz.
Yes!
timlara

Post by timlara »

hoimin wrote:Didn't you see demoncase's notes re: Amsterdam? :)

Enjoy!
This design looks great, although I'd rather see a more wharnie-like blade than a recurve. I guess I've never really understood the benefits of the recurve shape in practical use.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Yes please to more Southard collaborations!

His Compression Lock flippers sure are impressive, and I hope to see more on the production version. Bolsters and CF sound amazing too.

I haven't exactly been looking for another flipper after buying one of Brad's midtechs, but a smaller EDC friendly Comp Lock flipper is exciting.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
palonej

Post by palonej »

Absolutely!! My all black Southard is my favorite Spydie.......and I have quite a few awesome Spydies!!
Fits my hand beautifully, amazing action, love the blade shape and it is just flat out sexy!! It cuts stuff real good too!
More with Southard please??
Joe
swigert

Post by swigert »

I'm in. The southard is one of my faves. Positron, my least favorite spydie I've ever used. Only because ergos are so bad for me.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I'm still in love with my Southard, despite some trouble I've had with the bearings (my fault). I agree the ergos are different, but they feel good in my hand, and the whole knife feels good in my pocket. To top it all off, the thing is just gorgeous, as are Brad's independent creations. Some really amazing work there. I passed on the Positron since it didn't really fill any void in my collection, but a compression lock flipper sounds very interesting indeed! I'm a sucker for flippers, so any Southard collab has my attention.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I would love to get more Southard collabs!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!