Rhino

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Re: Rhino

Post by Blerv »

SpyderNut wrote:
I am glade to hear that, Blake. I hope you will like it. Just for fun, I compared my original Rhino specifications with Wouter's specifications from the Meet. (Granted, I realize these are only rough estimates and are likely to change). For what it's worth, I noticed the Spyderco Rhino version appears to be about 3mm longer than mine in overall length (149 mm over 146 mm). For the sake of comparison, the Dragonfly2's overall length is 5.563" (141 mm) and the Delica's overall length is 7.125" (181 mm). So the Rhino is really only about 32 mm shorter than the Delica. ;) :D
Thanks for all the details! I'm sure I will :D. I love upswept blades and am not a huge fan of choils so this one calls to me.

Also, wow, I didn't realize you were the designer. I should read more and write less lol. Big kudos! Always surprising to realize the skilled/talented group we have amongs the fans here on the forums. :spyder:
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Really looking forward to this one specifically Michael! Huge congratulations for such a great achievement! You'll be busy signing boxes for all us forum members when the Rhino finally comes out :D Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Blerv wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
I am glade to hear that, Blake. I hope you will like it. Just for fun, I compared my original Rhino specifications with Wouter's specifications from the Meet. (Granted, I realize these are only rough estimates and are likely to change). For what it's worth, I noticed the Spyderco Rhino version appears to be about 3mm longer than mine in overall length (149 mm over 146 mm). For the sake of comparison, the Dragonfly2's overall length is 5.563" (141 mm) and the Delica's overall length is 7.125" (181 mm). So the Rhino is really only about 32 mm shorter than the Delica. ;) :D
Thanks for all the details! I'm sure I will :D. I love upswept blades and am not a huge fan of choils so this one calls to me.

Also, wow, I didn't realize you were the designer. I should read more and write less lol. Big kudos! Always surprising to realize the skilled/talented group we have amongs the fans here on the forums. :spyder:

I am glad you like it, man. :) I appreciate the kind words too. I cannot wait to see the final version in person! :D

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Really looking forward to this one specifically Michael! Huge congratulations for such a great achievement! You'll be busy signing boxes for all us forum members when the Rhino finally comes out :D Cheers, Radioactive :)
LOL! Thank you for the congrats, RS. It means a lot to have this type of support from my brothers and sisters here on the Forum. You guys rock! :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bchan

Post by bchan »

I find the the size of the Rhino, in its current version, a tad small. If the length of the handle can be made a little longer to allow a four-finger grip, I would plunge in immediately. If the size cannot be changed, is there a possibility of a larger version ('Rhino XL'?) in future? I really like the blade shape!
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

This is a neat little knife. I'm not usually as much a fan of that kind of blade shape; most of the time I see it, it's on a knife that isn't my cup of tea anyways. But on this it looks great, and I agree about how good Spyderco's "little big knives" are. This one might have to go on the Christmas list...
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

This one is a must have. Keeping it under 2.5oz is always my favorite spec to see on a knife like this. Thank you Michael! I love the little big knife as a design goal, and I find that they often see more EDC use from me than many others. Chaparral and DF2 are my favorite examples.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

dplafoll wrote:This is a neat little knife. I'm not usually as much a fan of that kind of blade shape; most of the time I see it, it's on a knife that isn't my cup of tea anyways. But on this it looks great, and I agree about how good Spyderco's "little big knives" are. This one might have to go on the Christmas list...
Spyderco's little-big-knives are fantastic indeed. I probably own more sub 3" bladed Spyderco knives than any other size, lol. Love the LBK's! :)

abbazaba wrote:This one is a must have. Keeping it under 2.5oz is always my favorite spec to see on a knife like this. Thank you Michael! I love the little big knife as a design goal, and I find that they often see more EDC use from me than many others. Chaparral and DF2 are my favorite examples.
Thank you, sir! I am happy to hear that. It may be interesting to note that the Spyderco version is a little lighter than my own version, so this will be good for you indeed. ;)

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I'll be picking one up no matter what, but mostly because it was designed by my pal Michael who has been one of the nicest and most welcoming forum members here. It makes me proud to see one of our own find success doing something that he's so passionate about, good job bro. :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

SpyderNut wrote:
dplafoll wrote:This is a neat little knife. I'm not usually as much a fan of that kind of blade shape; most of the time I see it, it's on a knife that isn't my cup of tea anyways. But on this it looks great, and I agree about how good Spyderco's "little big knives" are. This one might have to go on the Christmas list...
Spyderco's little-big-knives are fantastic indeed. I probably own more sub 3" bladed Spyderco knives than any other size, lol. Love the LBK's! :)

abbazaba wrote:This one is a must have. Keeping it under 2.5oz is always my favorite spec to see on a knife like this. Thank you Michael! I love the little big knife as a design goal, and I find that they often see more EDC use from me than many others. Chaparral and DF2 are my favorite examples.
Thank you, sir! I am happy to hear that. It may be interesting to note that the Spyderco version is a little lighter than my own version, so this will be good for you indeed. ;)
Yeah I have 5 Spyderco knives and the biggest one is the Delica. :D
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

farnorthdan wrote:I'll be picking one up no matter what, but mostly because it was designed by my pal Michael who has been one of the nicest and most welcoming forum members here. It makes me proud to see one of our own find success doing something that he's so passionate about, good job bro. :)
Thank you for the very kind words, Brother. I may have gotten a little misty eyed just now. It means so much having your support on this, Dan, and I am tickled that we can all share in this experience together! I am already thinking of something special I can do for the Forum as a way of saying "Thanks" to you all... :)

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am very happy there is no choil on the blade.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Congratulations, Michael!

It's an interesting looking design, and I am glad to see more compression locks. Again, congratulations on getting your design produced by Spyderco!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Doc Dan wrote:I am very happy there is no choil on the blade.
I am too, but I can add one for you, if you'd like. :p ;)
GoldenSpydie wrote:Congratulations, Michael!

It's an interesting looking design, and I am glad to see more compression locks. Again, congratulations on getting your design produced by Spyderco!
Thanks Eli! I appreciate that. I am very happy to see more Compression Locks too. Hopefully, it will be a useful design. :)

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bchan wrote:I find the the size of the Rhino, in its current version, a tad small. If the length of the handle can be made a little longer to allow a four-finger grip, I would plunge in immediately. If the size cannot be changed, is there a possibility of a larger version ('Rhino XL'?) in future? I really like the blade shape!
Sorry about that. I just realized I missed your post. :o I am not sure if Spyderco would consider a larger "XL" version of the Rhino at this time, but I think it could certainly be possible. I recall our Spyder-bro Chad Los Banos (a.k.a. DAYWALKER), designer of the popular Spyderco Lava, stating that he had originally intended on the Lava being a larger design. However, Sal and the Crew designed it to be a smaller knife. ;) So, although I have no way to officially support this, I would hazard a guess that a different sized Rhino may be a future possibility. :)

bchan

Post by bchan »

Thank you Michael for answering my post, I surely appreciate it. I would certainly be interested if there are larger variations of your attractive design in future.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bchan wrote:Thank you Michael for answering my post, I surely appreciate it. I would certainly be interested if there are larger variations of your attractive design in future.
No problem at all, and thank you, sir. :)

About how much larger were you thinking?

bchan

Post by bchan »

Michael, one or two centimeters longer would be ideal for me but I am willing to give the existing version a try when it comes out. Thanks again for following up on my post.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I like the size as is. I have plenty of bigger knives. Not enough of smaller ones.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Is the name confirmed? It hasn't been taken by another company? Because I want to buy one based on the name alone.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I wish it would be available now. The size (of of cause blade shape) is perfect for vacation, when you are not sure about knife legal length. And mine is coming soon.
Michael,
Are you sure that you do not have couple dozen of production samples in your toolbox? :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian