Endura not easy to open

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NerdHerder

Endura not easy to open

Post by NerdHerder »

sorry if this is an FAQ...

I have a new gen 4 waved Endura. I've opened and closed it for about 200 cycles so far. Its smoothed up, but the force required to begin opening the blade is still quite high, much higher than my gen 1 Endura (at least, I assume its a gen 1; it has the molded-in plastic pocket clip). To perform a wave-opening, it takes a pretty enthusiastic "snap" for the blade to get to lock. And it'll chew the **** out of my jeans, and I don't think it can be done in dockers without tearing the pocket.

I'm tempted to disassemble the thing and use a stone to round off the part of the blade that rides against the bar. I googled my beehind off but could not find instructions, nor warnings against doing so.

Would Spyderco's customer service do this sort of work? If not, is this mod straightforward to do? Have any of you done it?

thx
maliboy67

Re: Endura not easy to open

Post by maliboy67 »

Sounds like the pivot screw is too tight or perhaps the pivot screw for the lock bar. My second Endura had the pivot screw way to tight out of the box.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I would not alter, file, change any metal surface on the lock or blade. Try the pivot screw as noted above. If not you could send it in.

Welcome to the forums.
palonej

Post by palonej »

I would also hold off on taking it apart bro.
What I did was get some good lube in there and keep opening and closing for a while. If it still doesn't loosen up the. Try loosening the pivot just a little.
I had the same thing with a Pac Salt and 2 Enduras. All 3 are a pleasure now.
Good luck!
Joe
NerdHerder

Post by NerdHerder »

OK; found my small Torx screwdrivers, switched the clip to southpaw side, and loosed the pivot screw. Noticable difference. Also, I put some dish soap in the pivot area and ran hot water into it while working the blade. I was hoping to get any manufacturing dust, preservative grease, metal dust etc out of there. When it was dry, I hit it with some synthetic dry lube. All together, a substantial improvement. Still not as smooth as other Spyders I own, but tolerable.

For reference, pivot screw was T8 and clip screws are T6.