Is this a Real Cara Cara?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Shady at Best

Is this a Real Cara Cara?

Post by Shady at Best »

Hello! I have been a fan of Spyderco for over twenty years. Just recently caught the bug for buying more knives. I decided to get a cara cara from Amazon, Amazon was the seller.
I got the knife yesterday and was comparing it to my endura. It appears to be a true byrd but it does have some flaws or maybe it's normal. It is a twenty dollar knife and don't expect the quality to be nearly as good as a Spyderco.
My main question is about the blade. It's a full flat grind version. The blade curves to the right when looking at it open and from the top. The grind is not even on both sides of the blade either. There is a noticeable ridge on the right side at the thumb hole, whereas the left side it's visible, but can't be felt.
I think there are a few more issues but again, it's fine for a 20$ knife. If this blade issue is common, then no big deal. If not, then maybe I will send it to Spyderco for an exchange.

These two show the grind not being even.

This is another concern but no big deal. The blade isn't as wide as the metal lock/release. Plus there is a low spot between them.

Thanks
Travis
Last edited by Shady at Best on Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DutchBlades

Re: Is this a Real Cara Cara?

Post by DutchBlades »

I'll take a look and compare it to my Cara Cara's when you've got pics up ;)
As far as I know there aren't good fakes on the Cara Cara... Not very useful considering their original price.
But might be a new one they are cloning... :(
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Shady at Best

Post by Shady at Best »

Updated with pics.
Keep in mind. I am not expecting a Spyderco. This knife, even with these items, is well worth the price
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

The slight bend it the blade is something I see on my stainless one aswell.
Softer steel and the quality simply isn't the grade Spyderco's are on; would be too expensive.
The FRN pattern, screws, etc. look to be fine when compared to my FRN one :)
I'd say it's legit.

The only thing I don't know for sure is placement on the trademark logo...
My FRN one has it slightly higher or so it seems.
But then again, my FRN one has a black laser etched "R",
the stainless one has a very thin silver one and my custom one doens't have one.
So those are things that might've changed over time.

All in all, it's legit if you ask me ;)
Also, welcome to the forums! :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

The logo is similar to my newer ones. The spine being not 100% straight vertically (looks a bit like Stretch than Endura) also similar to my newer one. Is the pivot screw T8? Older one is T6 (same as other body screws).

The grind being asymmetrical however, is exactly similar to my older one. The blade will look a bit bent to right.

The dip/gap between lockbar & blade is also exactly like my newer one. The older one is flushed. Blade thickness: the older one is thicker, newer one is thinner like yours.

All in all, it's likely genuine but we have seen fake Tenacious before, although faking Cara Cara might not be profitable for the counterfeiters.

It's 20$ knife, but if you are not happy, returning it to Amazon is better than not being happy. I live overseas so it's not easy.
Chris :spyder:
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Looks like mine!! I think you are GTG!!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Looks like mine as well....fit and finish is mediocre at best, but then I didn't spend much.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Had the uneven grind near ricasso/"Spydiehole" on my Ti. handle CC2 as well.. Wasn't overly impressed. It's strange when the Raven 2 at least rivals, if not surpass Spyderco value line knives.. It's almost like they come from different plants (maybe they do, i don't know)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

On my newer Cara Cara 2 FRN, I just noticed a notch at the spine jimping, something that usually used to mark factory 2nd. Is there any factory 2nd for Byrd?

I don't find anything wrong with it though but curious to find out. Bought as new from Amazon too.
Shady at Best

Post by Shady at Best »

When it comes down to it, it's still a good knife for twenty bucks. It needs to be compared with other cheap knives. Although there are some $ 20-30 kershaw and crkt knives that feel better. Just bought a crkt m16 from Wal-Mart for $20 and it feels and looks like a much better knife than the cara cara. But they are totally different styles of knives
Jay1958

Post by Jay1958 »

I have the G10 model Cara Cara 2, and while there are minor flaws similar to those described previously in this thread - I love mine and use and carry it without hesitation! It isn't in my normal EDC rotation, but when I first got it I carried it for a week or two and it performed well. I wouldn't hesitate to carry it again, and I'm sure I will in the future. Especially if I good a good, tough knife to do dirty work, but don't want to have to worry about messing up a more expensive knife.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

anagarika wrote:On my newer Cara Cara 2 FRN, I just noticed a notch at the spine jimping, something that usually used to mark factory 2nd. Is there any factory 2nd for Byrd?

I don't find anything wrong with it though but curious to find out. Bought as new from Amazon too.
Here's a shot from the back showing the notch:

Any comment from resident expert?

Edit to add: Paul and Lance have responded that it's not significant enough to be the factory second mark.