More Information On The GAUNTLET Sharpener yet??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: More Information On The GAUNTLET Sharpener yet??

Post by sal »

I'm currently testing a prototype made from molds.

sal
palonej

Post by palonej »

If it was up to us Sal we'd lock you in the room with the sharpening system and not let you out till it's ready to ship!!!
:D
Get busy Mr G!!!
Joe
LC Kid

We want GAUNTLET

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

sal wrote:I'm currently testing a prototype made from molds.
sal
Some fantastic news! :spyder:

I'd love to see some pic of the prototype. :D
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Hi Sal;

Are you using Sharpmaker triangle rods or a symmetric lens (cat's eye, double-pointed ellipse) like the Galley V rods?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

N. Brian Huegel wrote:Hi Sal;

Are you using Sharpmaker triangle rods or a symmetric lens (cat's eye, double-pointed ellipse) like the Galley V rods?
I had heard Sal say over a year ago that there was going to be some "Cat's Eye" stones used in the GAUNTLET similar to the stones they used in Spyderco's older/discontinued "GALLEY V" sharpening kit. I sure hope so because I liked those stones in the GALLEY V kit and I found I could do a lot with them sharpening Reverse S and other specialty blades.

I'm very anxious and have been patiently waiting for the GAUNTLET sharpening kit to be released. And with all the Hawkbills, Reverse S, recurves and many other of Spyderco's specialty blades we really need something more than what the 204 Sharpmaker offers. I'm hoping we'll see one on the market by mid summer at least.
Bucket

Post by Bucket »

I love the 204. If this new system compliments it and isn't ment to replace the 204 I will be one happy man
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bucket wrote:I love the 204. If this new system compliments it and isn't ment to replace the 204 I will be one happy man
Oh believe me I would never dispose of my 204 Sharpmaker>> from what I'm told the Gauntlet will be equipped with "Cat's Eye" stones which will give it more versatility for Hawkbills, Reverse S blades as well as some of Spyderco's other unique blade designs. I have no doubt that it's only going to make your sharpening jobs easier>> I also believe it will work along side of your 204 Sharpmaker. Now that's what I'm speculating from what little information I've gathered about it. But knowing how Spyderco is so non-compromising with their quality I'm 99.9% certain that it will be a great addition to the already great selection of sharpening tools that Spyderco has made available to us.

But I still want to see the 701 Profiles return and in more grits too ;)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I really hope the rods are longer. I hope this is going to be a good option for kitchen knives and my camp/hunting knives. I would be thrilled if this was sized for sharpening blades up to 9 or 10 inches. I can sharpen knives that size on the sharpmaker but a couple more inches of rod would be great.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I really hope the rods are longer. I hope this is going to be a good option for kitchen knives and my camp/hunting knives. I would be thrilled if this was sized for sharpening blades up to 9 or 10 inches. I can sharpen knives that size on the sharpmaker but a couple more inches of rod would be great.
I'm glad you brought that up BFK because that's one of the things I really like about my old Spyderco GALLEY V sharpening kit is the longer rods that came with it. I was lucky and got in touch with Spyderco when they discontinued the GALLEY V and got 6 extra stones for it. It's one of the old GALLEY V stones that I mainly use to sharpen my DODO model. Those Galley V stones truly are great for longer kitchen and butcher knives just like you mentioned.

I do hope they incorporated some of the good points of the GALLEY V into the GAUNTLET system. But you're spot on pointing out that we do need something for longer blades like culinary knives, bowies and even bigger hunting and fillet knives as well. It does seem like a lot of those sharpening systems have a lot to be desired in that area.
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

Any current news on the Gauntlet?

I was reading a current thread on sharpening serrations with a Sharpmaker and that was the first I've heard of the Gauntlet.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

aquaman67 wrote:Any current news on the Gauntlet?

I was reading a current thread on sharpening serrations with a Sharpmaker and that was the first I've heard of the Gauntlet.
The only news item I've heard recently concerning the GAUNTLET sharpening system which is supposedly about to be released is that they had a prototype of one at the recent BLADE Show in Atlanta GA USA. But I have not heard of any release date or anything official from the company. They must be working out some last minute details is all I can guess or speculate.

Believe me when they release it I'll be one of the first in line to buy one. I have a reserve of cash in my footlocker for purchasing a GAUNTLET system when it is ever released to dealers or whenever you can get it from Spyderco themselves. I have no doubt it's going to be a great sharpening kit.
zeus

Post by zeus »

I just dug out my Galley V base. Never had the rods... I'm still waiting for the cat eye rods to become available. Does anyone produce an oval sharpening rod that would fit in this base?
I used the spare rods from my 204 system for the time being, but the fit is a bit loose.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zeus wrote:I just dug out my Galley V base. Never had the rods... I'm still waiting for the cat eye rods to become available. Does anyone produce an oval sharpening rod that would fit in this base?
I used the spare rods from my 204 system for the time being, but the fit is a bit loose.
Hey Brother ZEUS!! Long time no hear from!! It's always great to see some of the old gang show up again here at Spyderville. I'm not aware of anyone other than Spyderco who produced those "Cat's Eye" shaped stones that went with the GALLEY V unit which was sold from about 1996 to 2000 or thereabout. When I bought my GALLEY V back in the year of 2000 I got mine directly from Spyderco because I couldn't even find a dealer who even knew anything about it. I also was fortunate enough to get some extra rods for it too. I doubt if Spyderco has any more left but I have heard that the "Cat's Eye" shaped stones are part of the GAUNTLET kit.

But Brother your guess is as good as mine concerning a release date for the GAUNTLET. Being that they had a prototype in this year's BLADE Show I would be inclined to believe that a release date can't be too far away. I'm ready to test drive one right now myself.
zeus

Post by zeus »

Hello JD!
Yes, it's been a few years since I posted...but I'm still around. A modified Manix 2XL is my EDC and has quenched my Spyderco lust for the time being - plus I've been working on modifications for some non-Spydies. (Rhymes with "gold steal")
A few months ago I picked up a Sharpmaker 204 for $20 at a swap meet in perfect shape, so I was able to get some appreciation for the system. Much faster than my Lansky or even the cardboard wheels on my bench motor for touch ups. Had the Galley V base sitting on my desk as a fountain pen holder for years until it dawned on me that it would hold the 204 spare rods at a 30 degree angle for my kitchen knives. Sweet!
I do scan eBay every once in a while for cat eye rods, but those are rare. So my serrated Dodos are resting to keep their teeth nice and sharp.

Good to "see" you again.... :)
Bucket

Post by Bucket »

sal

I hear you guys had one on display at blade. Can we get a picture of it?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bucket wrote:

sal

I hear you guys had one on display at blade. Can we get a picture of it?
Yeah that does seem a little strange that if they had a prototype of the GAUNTLET sharpening system at this year's BLADE Show in Atlanta GA why Spyderco couldn't at least give us a picture of it. Personally I want to buy one as soon as it hits the market. I just know in my gut that Spyderco has really put a lot of time on the GAUNTLET system and I have no doubt that this sharpening kit would be a great one for sure. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

I'm wondering if they are having manufacturing problems with it? :confused: We don't mean to be pestering or annoying anyone but we are all anxious to see the GAUNTLET system first hand. If it's any improvement over the 204 Sharpmaker then I'll probably want two of them ;)
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Another year has gone by, any updates on the GAUNTLET?
paladin

Post by paladin »

still patiently waiting...don't need anymore knives--- but some I have could use a good sharp'nin on a new GAUNTLET
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Seems like it has been too quite regarding this Gauntlet. Not sure why or what's up with it.

It doesn't seem to be much of a priority or maybe too many knife projects on to give it enough attention to get it to production. An update and ETA would be great!
sal

Post by sal »

We had a number of proto's that didn't make the grade and we had difficulty explaining the problem. Finally Eric had to sit down with the plastics people and eventually they understood. they made a new proto, which we just approved of yesterday.

sal