Here's my wants - What's My Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
10SBUM

Here's my wants - What's My Knife?

Post by 10SBUM »

I've put my four quality knives...Kershaw Cryo, Ontario Rat II, Byrd Robin II, and CKRT Pazoda II...through all kinds of knife ‘cutting workouts’, opening/closing what seems like hundreds of times, and trying them out in all of my various wardrobes, I’ve narrowed down the specifics of my wants in my next knife purchase.

When I'm at work I plan on leaving the clip (want it to have a clip) on and carrying it in the pocket of my khakis and when I'm not at work I plan on using the clip to carry it. When I first started my knife journey I thought I wanted my next knife to offer deep pocket carry but since I’ve decided that I’m just going to put the knife in my pocket at work this is no longer a need.

So, here are my wants in my next folding EDC knife:

- 3.6 inches or less closed length (the Rat II, at 4.0" closed, is too large to carry discreetly in my khakis)

- under 3.0 ounces (the Cryo is seems heavy when carrying it in my khakis)

- $40 to $100 price tag

- Opening system: this is where I’m not 100% sure…as far as getting the knife fully open on the first try the Cryo flipper is the best, followed by the thumbstuds on the Rat II - but using the holes on the Pazoda II and the Robin II are just so much fun

- Locking system: really don’t have a preference here. The Robin II (back) is definitely the easiest for me to close one handed; the Cryo (frame) and Pazoda II (frame) are easy to close as well; the Rat II is really the only troubling one to me because the liner lock seems to be so far down into the knife

- Handle material…I definitely don't want something too slick; I much prefer the handle on my Robin II to the handles on the Rat II, Cryo, and Pazoda II

So, with these specs, what knife/knives would you highly recommend?

I appreciate all your help and advice!

10SBUM
Mushroom

Re: Here's my wants - What's My Knife?

Post by Mushroom »

Sounds like you might really enjoy a Spyderco Cat! It's just about 3.5" when closed, weighs about 2.5 oz, has an easy access liner lock, a nice g10 handle and sits right around the lower end of your price range :D
-Nick :bug-red
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

No clip: Ladybug
Dragonfly 2
Chicago
Cat
Just a bit pricier but well worth it: Chaparral

Edit: Forgot about the clip requirement.
Last edited by hoimin on Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Chaparral 1!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

G10 Manbug gets my vote
10SBUM

Post by 10SBUM »

Cat does look like it checks all my boxes...and on the cheap!

As far as the Manbug and Ladybug...do they come with clips? Would prefer to use a clip when not at work so I can have the pocket to carry my phone.

That Chaparral is a beauty!!! When closed, how big across does it look/feel? Not the width of the spine of the knife...but like from the left edge of blade to right edge of spine at the widest point when it's closed (that doesn't seem to make sense)...like my Robin II closed is 1 7/16" across at the widest point (from left edge of blade, across the hole, across the handle, to where the backlock is)

Thanks for all the advice so far!

10SBUM
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Cat (or Chicago) should work very well for your needs and preferences. The Ladybug and Manbug do not have pocket clips. However, they are still fantastic designs and are easily modified with some paracord for ease of retrieval from your pocket. The Chap is roughly similar in height to the Dragonfly2.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I would go with a dragonfly. For a small knife it's really comfortable in the hand. Also the wire clip is pretty discreet.
10SBUM

Post by 10SBUM »

VashHash wrote:I would go with a dragonfly. For a small knife it's really comfortable in the hand. Also the wire clip is pretty discreet.
Which version?

I see quite a few different options when I type in Dragonfly at online shops. Many colors, most with the VG10 blade for around $50, but then there's a 'foliage green' one with the same blade that's around $90, and then there is one with a ZDP189 blade for around $75 that only seems to come in a dark green. Sorry, just a bit confused by all the models.

10SBUM
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I love the Dragonflys. I have 2 of them (G10 & FRN) and they're an excellent design but they're almost too small. My hands aren't that big and I find them just a little bit awkward to open with one hand. Don't get me wrong, I can open them without a problem but, after playing with bigger knives, opening the DF makes my hand feel like it's about to cramp.

Looking at the Robin II I see it's very similar in size and shape to the DF. So you already have a knife of this design. If you're willing to spend a little bit more money I would strongly suggest going with the Chaparral. The handle's just enough longer than the DF to make it much more comfortable to open with one hand. The Chap's also about the same thickness of the DF so it shouldn't print in your pocket like some other knives will.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

10SBUM wrote:
VashHash wrote:I would go with a dragonfly. For a small knife it's really comfortable in the hand. Also the wire clip is pretty discreet.
Which version?

I see quite a few different options when I type in Dragonfly at online shops. Many colors, most with the VG10 blade for around $50, but then there's a 'foliage green' one with the same blade that's around $90, and then there is one with a ZDP189 blade for around $75 that only seems to come in a dark green. Sorry, just a bit confused by all the models.

10SBUM
Like a lot of Spyderco knives the DFs come in several different flavors. The difference in the models you're seeing is basically the blade steel. The basic Dragonfly uses VG10 steel. The other steels are upgrades. I would suggest looking at them on Spyderco's website. I've spent a ton of time on there researching different models. You can also order a printed catalog that is very nicely done and offers a lot of info.

http://www.spyderco.com/search/index.php

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/request.php
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Cat or Dragonfly get my vote. Chaparral if you want to spend a little extra money.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

10SBUM wrote:
Which version?

10SBUM
The "foliage green" version has G-10 handles and steel liners instead of the one-piece FRN handle of the other VG-10 models. The ZDP-189 version has an upgraded blade steel in the standard FRN handle but in a special color called British Racing Green (it's very attractive). Personally, if you choose the Dragonfly, I highly recommend the ZDP-189 version as you won't have to sharpen it nearly as often.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

A couple quick pics for comparison. Sorry the pics are a little big! :D If you click on them they're a little easier to view. In a hurry right now, I'll try to edit later.

10SBUM

Post by 10SBUM »

Sharp Guy wrote:A couple quick pics for comparison. Sorry the pics are a little big! :D If you click on them they're a little easier to view. In a hurry right now, I'll try to edit later.
I appreciate the pics!!! Are those the Dragonfly FRN, Chaparral, and Dragonfly G10?

10SBUM
remnar

Post by remnar »

10SBUM wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:A couple quick pics for comparison. Sorry the pics are a little big! :D If you click on them they're a little easier to view. In a hurry right now, I'll try to edit later.
I appreciate the pics!!! Are those the Dragonfly FRN, Chaparral, and Dragonfly G10?

10SBUM
Yes. Top-FRN, middle-Chaparral, bottom-G10.

Here's couple more shots:

G10 Dragonfly and FRN zdp-189 Dragonfly

Sorry, I don't have a side by side pic with the Cat. I would recommend the Dragonfly over the Cat, but prefer the Chaparral to both of those.

Cat
10SBUM

Post by 10SBUM »

Thanks for the pics....they are a great help!

It appears that the Chaparral is actually more narrow (not width of spine, but in the first set of pics going from the top of the knife, down across the handle, and then down past the hole to the other side) when closed than the Dragonfly...is this the case?

Also, with the hole on the Chaparral being much closer to the handle than on the Dragonfly when closed, do you find the Chaparral more difficult to open?

Again, I appreciate the pictures!

10SBUM
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

10SBUM wrote:Cat does look like it checks all my boxes...and on the cheap!

As far as the Manbug and Ladybug...do they come with clips? Would prefer to use a clip when not at work so I can have the pocket to carry my phone.

That Chaparral is a beauty!!! When closed, how big across does it look/feel? Not the width of the spine of the knife...but like from the left edge of blade to right edge of spine at the widest point when it's closed (that doesn't seem to make sense)...like my Robin II closed is 1 7/16" across at the widest point (from left edge of blade, across the hole, across the handle, to where the backlock is)

Thanks for all the advice so far!

10SBUM
Both the chaparral and the cat are about 1-3/8" wide.
Sharp Guy wrote:I love the Dragonflys. I have 2 of them (G10 & FRN) and they're an excellent design but they're almost too small. My hands aren't that big and I find them just a little bit awkward to open with one hand. Don't get me wrong, I can open them without a problem but, after playing with bigger knives, opening the DF makes my hand feel like it's about to cramp.

Looking at the Robin II I see it's very similar in size and shape to the DF. So you already have a knife of this design. If you're willing to spend a little bit more money I would strongly suggest going with the Chaparral. The handle's just enough longer than the DF to make it much more comfortable to open with one hand. The Chap's also about the same thickness of the DF so it shouldn't print in your pocket like some other knives will.
I couldn't have said it better.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
remnar

Post by remnar »

For me, the Chap is definitely easier to open than the DF. The opening hole on the Chap is bigger and since the handle on the DF is smaller, it is more difficult to get a good grip for one handed opening. The Chap and the Cat are almost identical in closed length and width, but the Cat is a little thicker (.399 to .343 not including the clip). The width is a little hard to measure because of the curves but this is what I came up with using my caliper:

Cat: 1.425
Chap: 1.389
DF: 1.348
swigert

Post by swigert »

Chap is the answer. Bonus is you have deep carry if you want it.