Local Cutlery Store..Good and Bad

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Re: Local Cutlery Store..Good and Bad

Post by SpyderNut »

El Gato wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: That does sound awesome. Does this gentleman have a website by chance?
Unfortunately, Trapper Jon's Knives does not have a website. Jon started the business years ago and runs a one man shop which does not leave him time for the internet. He has thousands of knives of all kinds from antique pocketknives to autos and tacticals, and of course lots of Spydercos. In fact Jon's own edc is a Spydie.

It's a fun place to sit around the table when someone will bring up a certain knife, possibly from the past, and Jon will say, "I have one of those" and sure enough he will bring it out for us all to enjoy. Although he has no website, if you ever find yourself in Southeast Arizona come on over and spend some time with us at Trapper Jon's Knives in Sierra Vista. Good time guaranteed. ;)

Dave
Thank you for the information, Dave. I appreciate that. Looks like my next vacation destination will need to be in Sierra Vista. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

SpyderNut wrote:
El Gato wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: That does sound awesome. Does this gentleman have a website by chance?
Unfortunately, Trapper Jon's Knives does not have a website. Jon started the business years ago and runs a one man shop which does not leave him time for the internet. He has thousands of knives of all kinds from antique pocketknives to autos and tacticals, and of course lots of Spydercos. In fact Jon's own edc is a Spydie.

It's a fun place to sit around the table when someone will bring up a certain knife, possibly from the past, and Jon will say, "I have one of those" and sure enough he will bring it out for us all to enjoy. Although he has no website, if you ever find yourself in Southeast Arizona come on over and spend some time with us at Trapper Jon's Knives in Sierra Vista. Good time guaranteed. ;)

Dave
Thank you for the information, Dave. I appreciate that. Looks like my next vacation destination will need to be in Sierra Vista. ;)
Absolutely Michael, allow yourself plenty of fun time and be sure to let me know when you can be here. Looking forward to it for sure. ;)

I am just a short hop over to Tombstone, "The Town Too Tough To Die", and the unique old mining town of Bisbee, (your wife will love Bisbee). Mountains all around us and in fact the mountain that I can see from my driveway is in Mexico just a dozen miles to the south. Lots to see and do, and of course there is also Trapper Jon's Knives. Come on down.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Very cool! My wife and I both love nature and historical places too. Sounds like the perfect destination. :) Some day, hopefully soon, we would also like to plan on walking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back, taking the Bright Angel Trail. We walked part way down the Bright Angel back in '10, but didn't have enough time for the entire round trip. Very beautiful country where you live!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

A local gun shop has a huge selection of Spyderco. The downside is that the clerks act like arrogant dicks and the shop charges full MSRP. I haven't been there in a couple years. I don't mind paying a bit extra for good service, but paying almost double to be treated like trash doesn't work for me.

Gordon
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I'm lucky to have a local knife shop about twenty minutes away from me. Bob has a great selection of Spydercos and fair pricing. I remember the first time I went in there a few years ago, he carried mostly traditional slipjoints, some customs and oddly enough a few Sebenzas. He had one Spyderco sticking out like a sore thumb amongst the traditionals. It was a used Merlin for $15, I bought it and then showed him my Manix2 and PM2. I noticed that he had a Spyderco Bob Terzuola slip joint in his pocket and was intrigued.

We talked for hours about the brand and that he was thinking about concentrating on more modern knives. He now carries large selections of quite a few of the major manufacturers. He has treated me well over the years and I have become friends with quite a few of the "regulars" that share our sickness.

There are also a few gun shops around me that carry a limited selection of Spyderco but they are priced at full MSRP or higher. I also buy some of my knives online from reputable dealers and have had only good experiences.

Dan
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Is it my imagination, everyone, or, have a lot of specialized brick and mortar specialized knife stores (ie, not just gun shops or sporting and outdoor shops that have a knife section, but, stores dedicated to knives and cutlery) folded and closed down, due to factors such as the owners retiring, rising costs and regulations, and other issues?

I have some knife magazines from the 1990s and there were some very optimistic ads for these "knife kiosks" which could be set up in shopping malls, and you could purchase the franchise, and have your own business selling fixed and folder knives and sharpening equipment.
What happened? :( This is saddening to see these things evaporate.

My grandpa used to tell me that in the 1970s and before, knives and knife stores were all over the United States of America, Canada, and Europe, and that there were also gun stores in every major American city and you could purchase fully automatic and revolver and rifle firearms, daggers, knives, and even swords, and as long as you were a reasonably responsible person, and could afford the price of the gun or knife, no one even batted an eye. What happened???

I remember a knife store in the 1980s that was in a large urban area and they had full-scale glass display cases and plate glass windows full of survival, hunting, butterfly, Swiss Army and other knives. They were popular and did a great business.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

dplafoll wrote:You can all rejoice that for B&M stores, they'll either match the online prices or you shouldn't buy from them, now that Spyderco has gone to MAP.
As for me, I work 5 minutes from the best knife shop in the state of Alabama. If you're in the Birmingham area, check out Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia Hills. It's a locally-owned outdoors store with just about anything you could want, and the knife counter is MASSIVE. I mean, hundreds of knives, including(in the order I remember them): Spyderco, BM, Kershaw/ZT, Leatherman, Buck, Gerber, Microtech, Protech, Cold Steel, SOG, Chris Reeve, Medford, Spartan, Helle, William Henry, Marfione, ARS, ESEE, Victorinox, Emerson. They also carry some local makers, and I've seen them carry other high-end stuff that people sell them as well, such as Hinderer and the TAD Dauntless. It's incredible. They won an award from BM as a dealer, and they have a deal with Spyderco that they get 2 of EVERY model, automatically. I handled a Tighe Stick, a Myrtle, and the HAP-40 Stretch the last time I was in there. I knew I'd found heaven when I walked in the first time and saw not only the Spyderco rack(where I spend most of my time there) but also the CRKs. I couldn't imagine being able to see a Sebenza in a retail store, much less get to handle it, and they let you handle anything they have.
They also carry a good selection of flashlights from Olight, Fenix, Surefire, Streamlight, and others.

TLDR: If you're in Alabama, go see Randy at the knife counter at Mark's Outdoors. If he's not there, ask for Mark Jr.; his dad started the place and passed away a few years ago, and Mark Jr. is a knife knut now too.
Mark's was the store I mentioned a few posts above yours and I try not to mention them too much because I went and saw my buddy Randy today and he lets me know "some guy from the forums called in and bought all 10 HAP40 Delicas. I wonder if he was just flipping them?" Well yeah, of course he was just flipping them. I have heard of pre need replacements but not 10 of them. I have mentioned Marks before but I probably won't anymore after hearing this. I bet some wanker now has 9 HAP 40 D4s on EBay for MSRP
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

twinboysdad wrote:
dplafoll wrote:You can all rejoice that for B&M stores, they'll either match the online prices or you shouldn't buy from them, now that Spyderco has gone to MAP.
As for me, I work 5 minutes from the best knife shop in the state of Alabama. If you're in the Birmingham area, check out Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia Hills. It's a locally-owned outdoors store with just about anything you could want, and the knife counter is MASSIVE. I mean, hundreds of knives, including(in the order I remember them): Spyderco, BM, Kershaw/ZT, Leatherman, Buck, Gerber, Microtech, Protech, Cold Steel, SOG, Chris Reeve, Medford, Spartan, Helle, William Henry, Marfione, ARS, ESEE, Victorinox, Emerson. They also carry some local makers, and I've seen them carry other high-end stuff that people sell them as well, such as Hinderer and the TAD Dauntless. It's incredible. They won an award from BM as a dealer, and they have a deal with Spyderco that they get 2 of EVERY model, automatically. I handled a Tighe Stick, a Myrtle, and the HAP-40 Stretch the last time I was in there. I knew I'd found heaven when I walked in the first time and saw not only the Spyderco rack(where I spend most of my time there) but also the CRKs. I couldn't imagine being able to see a Sebenza in a retail store, much less get to handle it, and they let you handle anything they have.
They also carry a good selection of flashlights from Olight, Fenix, Surefire, Streamlight, and others.

TLDR: If you're in Alabama, go see Randy at the knife counter at Mark's Outdoors. If he's not there, ask for Mark Jr.; his dad started the place and passed away a few years ago, and Mark Jr. is a knife knut now too.
Mark's was the store I mentioned a few posts above yours and I try not to mention them too much because I went and saw my buddy Randy today and he lets me know "some guy from the forums called in and bought all 10 HAP40 Delicas. I wonder if he was just flipping them?" Well yeah, of course he was just flipping them. I have heard of pre need replacements but not 10 of them. I have mentioned Marks before but I probably won't anymore after hearing this. I bet some wanker now has 9 HAP 40 D4s on EBay for MSRP
Man, thats just plain BS, what a douche, I hate flippers...why do people have to be so greedy. Hope they all get lost in the mail :mad:
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

farnorthdan wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:

Man, thats just plain BS, what a douche, I hate flippers...why do people have to be so greedy. Hope they all get lost in the mail :mad:
I even get buy 3, 1 for me and 2 to sell but ALL 10? That's asking karma for virtual colonoscopy
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

twinboysdad wrote:

I definitely agree; that guy sucks. But if he bought 10 Delicas and it helps Mark's stay in business, and keep the knife counter running, I'll live with it. I don't think Mark's is doing badly or whatever, but I know how B&M stores need all the help they can get.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

dplafoll wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:

I definitely agree; that guy sucks. But if he bought 10 Delicas and it helps Mark's stay in business, and keep the knife counter running, I'll live with it. I don't think Mark's is doing badly or whatever, but I know how B&M stores need all the help they can get.
Don't think I was telling you to keep Mark's between us! I give out Randy's name all the time. You just hope when you do, they grab something meaningful and help Randy out. And then there are the guys who buy all 10 of the sprints...hopefully you and I can meet sometime, I am one of the few certified Spydernuts that frequents Marks!
BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

I know nothing about sprints. I don't even have any super steels except S110v on Manix 2 LW. I live very close to the ocean and don't want any part of non stainless steels. I'm so OCD, I'd be wiping the knife off every 5 minutes and looking for anything on blade with a magnifying glass. I'll probably change my mind at some point. I've been going thru a lot of the posts on sprints. I have missed out on some good stuff. Amazing how fast they sell. Sorry some greedy jerk bought up all the Hap40 Delicas from your store. Isn't there a limit on how many a customer can buy ? . I know there are ways of getting around it. But, it would make it a little more difficult especially when they sell out so quick. Tom

Intellect/Emotions
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

BostonTom wrote:I have a cutlery shop 40 minutes south of Boston (online prices). Incredible amount of Spydercos.
Care to share the name of this shop? I'm in ny but that would make a great side detour for me every time I head north
Delica_Nut

Post by Delica_Nut »

Only have LL Bean that I've seen Spyderco's sold in blister packs . So I tend to do Knifecenter for my spydie needs. Once I used ebay and didn't confirm he address and sent a Delica to my brother. He said thanks really loved it, so I didn't ask for it back.
Croix

Post by Croix »

Hey El Gato,

I live in Sierra Vista and shop at Trapper Johns all the time! I bought a Navaja from his store and he matched the Internet price for a Matriarch 2.

I agree with what you said 100% he has a great knife store! :)
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

twinboysdad wrote:
dplafoll wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:

Don't think I was telling you to keep Mark's between us! I give out Randy's name all the time. You just hope when you do, they grab something meaningful and help Randy out. And then there are the guys who buy all 10 of the sprints...hopefully you and I can meet sometime, I am one of the few certified Spydernuts that frequents Marks!
I wouldn't be surprised if we've met or seen one another in there. I work in Vestavia and I usually hit up Mark's on my Friday lunch break. I believe in a bit of "Treat yourself" at the end of the work week. :D
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2