Ebay User atomic_video sold me a fake Stretch 2 G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Ebay User atomic_video sold me a fake Stretch 2 G10

Post by bearfacedkiller »

twinboysdad wrote:Wonder what steel it really is since it surely is not ZDP?
You can tell with a magnet. I often doubt that they even heat treat whatever low grade steel they use. I have no way of knowing though.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Oops, I quoted the wrong person. You get the idea. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

FWIW this is what I did.

I was sold a fake ZDP Endura via eBay. I advised the seller it was fake and requested a refund through paypal (not eBay). I advised the seller I would not be sending the knife back for the following reasons:

-I was able to prove he knew it was fake when he sold it which means he knowingly shipped it across state lines.
-Shipping a counterfeit like this is illegal, especially across state lines.
-Now that I know it is fake, I cannot ship it back over state lines and commit a new crime.

I informed the seller I would not be shipping his knife back and that it had been given to Spyderco directly, along with his eBay name, and real name and address. I also told him I would be reporting him to the FBI if he insisted I return the knife. I received a PP refund that day and never heard from him again.

I did truly surrender the fake to Spyderco's SFO by hand and they were very appreciative for the opportunity to examine it.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Big thumbs up Hawk!!
That's the way to handle that garbage.
Joe
FnF8Guy

Post by FnF8Guy »

Spyderco replied to my email. They asked for a link for the listing to pass along to their legal team and informed me that unfortunately I would have to return the fake if I wanted to get my refund.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Is there some way to make the counterfeit seller return your money AND make sure the knife is destroyed and not resold to someone else as a real one or is this not possible?
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

hudsonhawk wrote:FWIW this is what I did.

I was sold a fake ZDP Endura via eBay. I advised the seller it was fake and requested a refund through paypal (not eBay). I advised the seller I would not be sending the knife back for the following reasons:

-I was able to prove he knew it was fake when he sold it which means he knowingly shipped it across state lines.
-Shipping a counterfeit like this is illegal, especially across state lines.
-Now that I know it is fake, I cannot ship it back over state lines and commit a new crime.

I informed the seller I would not be shipping his knife back and that it had been given to Spyderco directly, along with his eBay name, and real name and address. I also told him I would be reporting him to the FBI if he insisted I return the knife. I received a PP refund that day and never heard from him again.

I did truly surrender the fake to Spyderco's SFO by hand and they were very appreciative for the opportunity to examine it.

That is some solid strategy and tact! :D
I wish there were a way to do this without actually purchasing.

Just about a month ago I reported 4 or 5 fake Spydercos on ebay (including several of these "Chinese oem" Stretch 2's), but there was absolutely no Recourse nor action taken by the seller nor ebay. All items sold, and more new ones were listed. Since then I've just stopped paying attention...

By the way, I lol'ed at that phallic clip when I first saw it.
Going back to Caly.
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

That's interesting. The few "fakes" I've actually reported on eBay were immediately taken down. In the comment field, make sure to point out to eBay that they are in violation of multiple trademarks and copyrights and Spyderco's counterfeit division has also been notified that eBay is allowing them to be sold. Once eBay hears a large company is being defrauded through their portal, they usually move pretty quick ;)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

hudsonhawk wrote:That's interesting. The few "fakes" I've actually reported on eBay were immediately taken down. In the comment field, make sure to point out to eBay that they are in violation of multiple trademarks and copyrights and Spyderco's counterfeit division has also been notified that eBay is allowing them to be sold. Once eBay hears a large company is being defrauded through their portal, they usually move pretty quick ;)

Alright, just as another experiment, I have reported another knife from that same seller I reported a month ago: a fake orange Domino. (This fake Stretch 2 was also discussed in the fakes section of this forum)

We shall see if ebay takes any action this time. I did mention notifying Spyderco legal team.

If it is successful, maybe we shall form a basic task force to attempt to help Spyderco eradicate these sales from ebay?
(Would this be in Spydercos best interest? Or would it be going too far as far as us only being regular Joe's unaffiliated with the company?)
Going back to Caly.
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

Out of curiosity how much did you pay for the knife from ebay?

In the future I would ignore ebay as a whole for knife shopping and stick with authorized dealers. If you can't afford their prices then save up until you can. It is worth the wait.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Also the clip extends out over the G-10 bevel. I think this is the worst copy I've seen, with it's hobnail-looking screws. A real insult to Spyderco and Seki City craftsmanship. With the raft of copies on the market, I don't know if Spyderco even has time and resources (a team of investigators & lawyers?) to pursue all the manufacturers and marketers, let alone deal with individual sales. I think eBay could somehow monitor this sort of thing a little better.

FnFGuy, you came to the right place, and welcome. You should always be able to find some support and suggestions here for problems like this.

Hopefully this bad dream won't sour you on the new Stretch 2. Mine has made a Stretch lover out of me.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Speedholes,

This was actually discussed in a prior thread a while back (which I"m too lazy to look for). We actually got an official response from Kristi (if I remember right). Kristi said that Spyderco fully supports our reporting of fakes on eBay and anywhere else. They do have a fraud/counterfeit investigation division (which I suspect is really just one or two folks), but they obviously can't catch them all. Any fakes that we as the forum members see in he wild should be challenged and reported. I report every fake I see on eBay and word my report as strongly as possible. I do this feeling that Spyderco supports my actions.

I've always wanted to go through all of the "fake" reports for eBay at the top sticky and distill it into a list. I'd like to have just a running list (with no other comments) of "bad" eBay sellers. The idea being that if you are ready to pull the trigger of a good deal on eBay, you can run here, check the list real quick and take some measure of safety if the seller is not on the list. Obviously the list is only as good as the information provided to it.

SpeedHoles wrote:
hudsonhawk wrote:That's interesting. The few "fakes" I've actually reported on eBay were immediately taken down. In the comment field, make sure to point out to eBay that they are in violation of multiple trademarks and copyrights and Spyderco's counterfeit division has also been notified that eBay is allowing them to be sold. Once eBay hears a large company is being defrauded through their portal, they usually move pretty quick ;)

Alright, just as another experiment, I have reported another knife from that same seller I reported a month ago: a fake orange Domino. (This fake Stretch 2 was also discussed in the fakes section of this forum)

We shall see if ebay takes any action this time. I did mention notifying Spyderco legal team.

If it is successful, maybe we shall form a basic task force to attempt to help Spyderco eradicate these sales from ebay?
(Would this be in Spydercos best interest? Or would it be going too far as far as us only being regular Joe's unaffiliated with the company?)
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I would say send it back to the seller for a full refund... by keeping it, you are making the selling of fakes profitable for the seller. It is also unfair to assume Spyderco will send you a real one in exchange for the fake one.