52100 Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: 52100 Military

Post by elena86 »

52100 steel on one side of the spectrum and AEB-L( 61+HRC) on the other side are my dream steels.I only wish they release a Para2 in AEB-L(61-62HRC).
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

dcfis wrote:I would love to try this steel in a bit smaller knife but that doesnt seem like its going to happen
Same here. I love the my millie but seldom carry it. I find it works well as a back pocket knife in jeans but here in the tropics where shorts and light clothing are the norm, I prefer knives that are a bit smaller. I'm torn though because I think I would quite enjoy the steel. I'll probably end up passing because I've got enough hap40 to keep me happy for quite awhile.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Nah....the Millie is my all time favorite EDC. I consider myself lucky they went with the Millie!! But....it's younger brother would be nice I suppose as well.
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Surfingringo wrote:
dcfis wrote:I would love to try this steel in a bit smaller knife but that doesnt seem like its going to happen
Same here. I love the my millie but seldom carry it. I find it works well as a back pocket knife in jeans but here in the tropics where shorts and light clothing are the norm, I prefer knives that are a bit smaller. I'm torn though because I think I would quite enjoy the steel. I'll probably end up passing because I've got enough hap40 to keep me happy for quite awhile.
It's very easy to make a Military into a Para 2 sized knife. The liners don't extend all the way to the butt of the handle, so you can remove quite a bit of handle back there to shorten it down, and then you just need to shorten the blade. This also affords you the opportunity of tweaking the blade shape if you so choose, you could easily give it a leaf shaped blade or even "Kahr" the tip and make that modified wharnie you're dreaming of.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

GoingGear's recent interview of Sal and Eric at SHOT had two revelations that are pertinent here.

Sal said the Military is his best design (I had thought it was the Stretch), and he really REALLY likes 52100.

I'll take some pleasure knowing this when I get my 52100 Millie.

However, I do wonder if I'll carry it much. Apart from size considerations, I prefer tip-up.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Someone awhile ago asked when Spyderco is going to use ball bearings in a Golden, CO knife...
Well here it is. Got a ball bearing blade. :p
Going back to Caly.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

wrdwrght wrote:Apart from size considerations, I prefer tip-up.
This is on thing I don't understand. I know the Millie was designed to be the knife that Sal would like to have his son go to war with. I take it Sal's son is left handed. For those in the military, blades are fastened all over the place. Is it that big of a deal to have holes drilled into the scales the same way as the PM2 has? I mean…I think it's rather silly. Not just for left handers…but for those of us who prefer a tip-up carry. I eventually got used to the Millie the way it is….and when I got my first PM2 the other day, I really couldn't understand why Spyderco doesn't offer a few small holes drilled on the scales so we can put the clip wherever we want! Is there a reason for this?

Anyway, I have seen some custom models that have the clip facing the other direction making it a tip up. I honestly like the lock the Millie has, I can open and close it MUCH faster than I can with the lock on the PM2.
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DrtyHarry wrote:
This is on thing I don't understand. I know the Millie was designed to be the knife that Sal would like to have his son go to war with. I take it Sal's son is left handed. For those in the military, blades are fastened all over the place. Is it that big of a deal to have holes drilled into the scales the same way as the PM2 has? I mean…I think it's rather silly. Not just for left handers…but for those of us who prefer a tip-up carry. I eventually got used to the Millie the way it is….and when I got my first PM2 the other day, I really couldn't understand why Spyderco doesn't offer a few small holes drilled on the scales so we can put the clip wherever we want! Is there a reason for this?

Anyway, I have seen some custom models that have the clip facing the other direction making it a tip up. I honestly like the lock the Millie has, I can open and close it MUCH faster than I can with the lock on the PM2.
There's nothing on the bottom of the handle to tap into because the liners do not extend down for enough. You can tap G10 but it's not a good idea.
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

DrtyHarry wrote:

I thought the military "encourages" their troops to do everything right handed. Like shooting a rifle.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Evil D wrote:
DrtyHarry wrote:

There's nothing on the bottom of the handle to tap into because the liners do not extend down for enough. You can tap G10 but it's not a good idea.

Yeah, and full liners would result in a heavier knife, and/or threaded inserts in the G10 instead of full liners would increase cost, either of which would possibly result in more complaints than the tip-up only carry brings on.
If you ask me, don't mess with it. Carry orientation works great on this knife. One of the big reasons I enjoy the Military is its light weight for its size! So IMO, please don't go adding things.

Maybe the full ti. versions should be drilled and tapped for 4-way clip for those who don't care as much about weight, but prefer tip-up over other specs.

Also, if you think the Millie closes faster than the PM2, do yourself a favor and look up some compression lock techniques. It is a very fast action once you learn the muscle memory.

There was a left-hand specific Military, but long disco'ed now. Current one has a right-hand biased liner lock orientation.
Going back to Caly.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

I just got my PM2....I am rather quick with it. I'm sure over time I will get even quicker. But...I can open and close the Millie with one hand with such ease, I don't think I will be able to open a PM2 much quicker. I think the lock on the Millie is plenty strong, I've seen it take some rather hard abuse.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

DrtyHarry wrote:I just got my PM2....I am rather quick with it. I'm sure over time I will get even quicker. But...I can open and close the Millie with one hand with such ease, I don't think I will be able to open a PM2 much quicker. I think the lock on the Millie is plenty strong, I've seen it take some rather hard abuse.

Oh yeah, opening either is pretty equal.
Unless you are swing-opening the PM2 by depressing and holding down the Compression-lock while momentum swinging the blade out. Can't be done with a liner-lock. Not much advantage for speed over a flick, though, just an alternative method.

But it's the closing that is quite effortless on the Compression-lock models. Again, just pinch and swing in an easy movement.

And yeah, I don't recall seeing anyone questioning strength here...
Going back to Caly.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

LOL...I find closing the Millie much easier than the PM2. My thumb simply has to move half an inch to the engage the linear lock. I'm still trying out different methods. The PM2 is now my "back up" knife...I keep it in my right front coin pocket. Considered putting it around my neck, but I keep a Cold Steel Safe Keeper push blade there
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
DrtyHarry wrote:

I thought the military "encourages" their troops to do everything right handed. Like shooting a rifle.
If so, this must be something new. In my experience (US Army Infantry training, ROTC and NG 1960 off and on to 1971) I never heard of a lefty, such as myself, being encouraged to do anything right handed. I always shot left handed. We were strongly encouraged to shoot from a kneeling position in basic training, but I chose the sitting position and nobody every approached me about it, but then, on the trainfire range, things moved pretty fast and there wasn't much personal instruction.

As for the Millie, I like opening and closing the right handed models, including Ti, with my left hand and will probably sell my left handed model at some point. But I do like tip up carry, even for longer knives like this, and plan to sometime try installing a clip for tip up carry on one, maybe using threaded inserts or whatever.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you have the tools you can just mill out some G10 and put a tab of steel in there to tap, then the clip screws will hold it in place. Most that I've seen done were done this way. Heck if you can find one of the old Delica parts kits or just a Spyderco that maybe has a broken blade or something...just to salvage the liner out of, you can cut off the end that's already tapped for clip screws. Then you just need to mill out the G10 enough to nest your liner piece into and drill holes and you're done.
~David
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Evil D wrote:If you have the tools you can just mill out some G10 and put a tab of steel in there to tap, then the clip screws will hold it in place. Most that I've seen done were done this way. Heck if you can find one of the old Delica parts kits or just a Spyderco that maybe has a broken blade or something...just to salvage the liner out of, you can cut off the end that's already tapped for clip screws. Then you just need to mill out the G10 enough to nest your liner piece into and drill holes and you're done.
That's a fantastic idea. I never thought of that. I think it would by far look best to use the original clip, but I would also like a deep carry clip. This will probably make some Millie-loving wire clip haters puke, but I've even considered trying to somehow mount a wire clip for tip up carry. I wonder if it would be possible to make neat cuts into the G-10 to recess the bent under part of a wire clip (sorry, I know this isn't the mod thread :rolleyes: )
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DougC-3 wrote:
Evil D wrote:If you have the tools you can just mill out some G10 and put a tab of steel in there to tap, then the clip screws will hold it in place. Most that I've seen done were done this way. Heck if you can find one of the old Delica parts kits or just a Spyderco that maybe has a broken blade or something...just to salvage the liner out of, you can cut off the end that's already tapped for clip screws. Then you just need to mill out the G10 enough to nest your liner piece into and drill holes and you're done.
That's a fantastic idea. I never thought of that. I think it would by far look best to use the original clip, but I would also like a deep carry clip. This will probably make some Millie-loving wire clip haters puke, but I've even considered trying to somehow mount a wire clip for tip up carry. I wonder if it would be possible to make neat cuts into the G-10 to recess the bent under part of a wire clip (sorry, I know this isn't the mod thread :rolleyes: )
I've seen it done on other G10 knives, so I don't see why it couldn't be done on a Military. Then you'd just counter sink the barrel screws for the clip and it would mount like any other clip.

As for using a Military clip for tip up carry, that won't work because of the curve of the clip, it would flow opposite of the handle curve. If you look at a left handed Military, they even use a different clip altogether because putting it on the other side of the knife changes the curve too.
~David
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Evil D wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:
I've seen it done on other G10 knives, so I don't see why it couldn't be done on a Military. Then you'd just counter sink the barrel screws for the clip and it would mount like any other clip.

As for using a Military clip for tip up carry, that won't work because of the curve of the clip, it would flow opposite of the handle curve. If you look at a left handed Military, they even use a different clip altogether because putting it on the other side of the knife changes the curve too.
I like using a right handed one in my left hand, but if I move it to tip up, I'll switch the same clip (or maybe a black one) to the other side, converting it to left handed, which makes the curve fit right. It looks so good that way, I don't think most people would notice it was changed, except for the screw holes on the other side, which could be filled and colored to match.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
DrtyHarry wrote:
I never heard that and I really don't see the logic in it. To be honest, I'm rather shocked that nobody decided to make scales for the Millie that are very much like the PM2. I'm guessing that Sal's son was not a left? lol

Honestly though....it does shock me that you can't simply order scales that offer tip up or down carry for left or right hand users. The weight can't be much....and it most certainly would not bother me. I'm having trouble getting used to the PM2 to be honest....
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

DrtyHarry wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
DrtyHarry wrote:
I never heard that and I really don't see the logic in it. To be honest, I'm rather shocked that nobody decided to make scales for the Millie that are very much like the PM2. I'm guessing that Sal's son was not a left? lol

Honestly though....it does shock me that you can't simply order scales that offer tip up or down carry for left or right hand users. The weight can't be much....and it most certainly would not bother me. I'm having trouble getting used to the PM2 to be honest....
Just as I opened my eyes this morning, I said to myself, "You idgit, LC was probably making an ironic statement to make a point!"

I've never really taken to the PM2 like most people. I like the compression lock, but I find the millie lock a tiny bit quicker and easier to operate securely left handed when closing with one hand. The millie lock may not be as slick and aesthetically appealing, but I find it very reliable and easy to operate. So far I like all the different types of Spydie locks I've run into.