What do you think of the Titanium K2 model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DrtyHarry

What do you think of the Titanium K2 model?

Post by DrtyHarry »

I am looking for another Spyderco to add to my collection and I came across the K2 titanium with that Bowie style blade. Not familiar with the CPM-10V steel. It's an interesting looking knife, rather small handle for such a large blade. Sadly, the clip can only stay in one position. Is it a good knife? I have my Military and PM2 as my EDC tools. For a SD knife, I carry a Karambit....but also like to mix things up a bit. Would the K2 make for a good SD blade? I looks like it can slash rather well....I don't know about thrusting though. I can not use my Karambit for ED purposes, it's a rather expensive knife with some custom modifications so I would only use it if I had to in a self defense situation. Otherwise, I would use my Millie or PM2...or the Leatherman Wave I carry or the Micra on my key chain (the Micra scissors are amazing). Just wanted to hear about what you guys thought about the K2 and the CMP-10V steel it uses. If it's nothing special, I'll just stick with my Millie and PM2. I am waiting on a Tatanka...can't wait to see what that beast is going to look like!
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
bearfacedkiller

Re: What do you think of the Titanium K2 model?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think it is a little large but am very interested in 10V.

Here is my take on it. Bring on the scaled down K2!!!

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=69538
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

I like larger blades. I have huge hands. Like....the PM2 is even a touch big for my hands so I am a Millie fan. Does the K2 have any specific purposes? Skinning perhaps? Like I said, looking for a SD tool that can severe doing ED things a tool can do. Did they ever make any sprint runs? Not crazy about the color....would rather see one in all black but. Hey....I said the same about the "blurple" and that color grew on me.
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
bearfacedkiller

No sprints of it. It is a collaboration and they don't really get sprinted.

I am not sure of it's intended purpose but trailing points in general are good skinners. I think it's purpose is mainly to be a huge folder. :) I am not big on SD blades as I feel most any knife that has a good handle could be pressed into service in that role. I wouldn't want to fight someone holding a K2, that is for sure.

Color? It is Titanium so I guess you could anodize it if you wanted. I carry a Military too but the K2 is just huge.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Too big for Me, I handled one at the SFO and didn't care much for it, now the smaller collaboration that has been confirmed is a little more interesting to me and I may actually check that one out. The other thing I didn't like about the full size K2 was the lock stick I experienced with the one I handled which has been echo'd by others who actually own the knife.
Last edited by farnorthdan on Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

The size, and the upswept blade turned me off from it. Still, it's an awesome knife, and I wouldn't shed a tear if someone gave me one.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

StuntZombie wrote:The size, and the upswept blade turned me off from it. Still, it's an awesome knife, and I wouldn't shed a tear if someone gave me one.
Forgive me...still learning here. What is the meaning of an "upswept" blade? I'm really on the fence on getting one. I have a pre order in for two Millies....there are plenty of these things to not have to rush and get one ASAP, I would like to know it's primary purpose of the blade. I reallu do like the looks of it, the grind looks incredible, and if thin enough (and sharp enough), it looks like it can make some really nasty slices/cuts. Not so sure about thrusts....
bearfacedkiller

It is called a trailing point. That is what he means by upswept tip. Google it and see what you find. It is a common shape for skinners.
-Darby
kjd2121

Post by kjd2121 »

I've heard of lock stick on the K2. The Slyze Bowie gets the rave reviews. It even gets compared to a Sebenza :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The knife looks great. If the exchange rate was not so bad now I would own one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

I'm going to use mine the next time I need to break down a whole hog.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Ok ok....I'll pick one up. Like I said at the start of this thread....looks ideal for skinning. Cool. "Lock stick" I take it means the lock can stick up? Is that if not oiled enough or properly? Think it's worth a $200 investment?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

She's big and she's bad. Extremely sharp and big.
She deserves respect.....I really wish I had kept that knife.
And where else in the world are ya gonna get CPM 10V, im a folder for that kind of money.....?
Spyderco is just off the chain man.
Xzk8mh

Post by Xzk8mh »

I bought one of the last ones on sale at Knifecenter for $149.95 which leaves me torn do I keep it in the safe and makes this a collection piece or do I EDC it and enjoy it for all its benefits? :o
425KRS

Post by 425KRS »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I think it is a little large but am very interested in 10V.

Here is my take on it. Bring on the scaled down K2!!!

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=69538
If they made a smaller version of it, I would be all over it. At it's current size, it's not practical for me as an EDC. But everything outside of the size is a big hit
:spyder:
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Mine was a catch and release.. Lock stick, and the fact it felt to me like the scales were missing. It would really benefit from a solid back spacer IMO
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Love the two bolt construction and the "squished" standoff. Wish we'd see more knives with those features.

Kinda regret selling mine, but I found it too big and awkward to use. Not sure I want a smaller K2 if it it has the same profile though... Slysz Bowie is pretty much it for me.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I've got one- it's a very, very big knife but carries quite well due to being very flat (Only you can know if big slab-sided knives are your thing- they are mine!)

As Abbazabba points out, the 2 screw build combines with the those big plain titanium slabs makes for a super-understated look.
Then you spot the rounded spine, scallop cutting on the lockbar and stonewashed titanium- Compared to 'other brand' large folders that go in for bells and whistles, it's super classy.

It's sort of like someone cross-bred a Military and an original ATR, then fed it so major league steroids :D

I do have a bit of lock-stick on mine- only ever seems to be the first time I get it out of the case. Work it a couple of times and she's golden (though be aware that you may find yourself pinching the lockbar while trying to lose if you aren't paying attention!)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
ramasipsc

Post by ramasipsc »

One of the best Spyderco's knives! Very good big EDC folder. Light, simple and with super steel. In fact it so good that I bought custom mini K2 version.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The 10V blade it has is nothing short of phenomenal.
Its quite amazing really. Gets sooooo sharp and just stays that way lol.