Less than 3" Blade, Deep Pocket, $40-$100 Options?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
10SBUM

Less than 3" Blade, Deep Pocket, $40-$100 Options?

Post by 10SBUM »

I'm looking for an EDC knife that:
- has a blade less than 3 inches (in the 2" to 2.5" range would be ideal)
- is priced $40 to $100 (looking to go up in quality from current knives)
- offers Deep Pocket Carry (would prefer it not to be seen when taking it to work)
- weighs 3 ounces or less (currently carrying a Cryo deep pocket and 3.8 ounces seems a bit too heavy for my khaki work pants)

What are all my possible choices from Spyderco?*

Which one (or two) would you recommend as the best choice from the options available?

*I've tried numerous sites that show Spyderco knives but either they don't allow me to put in all the criteria I want or they don't pull up all the knives that fit in that criteria

Thank you for any and all help you can provide!

10SBUM
jmh58

Re: Less than 3" Blade, Deep Pocket, $40-$100 Options?

Post by jmh58 »

Chaparral!!! You can pick one up pre-owned for close to the high side of limit.. John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
RjB

Post by RjB »

If the DF2's wire clip slot would be lengthened to straddle the lanyard tube hole, it sinks it as deep as is possible short of removing the clip entirely. FRN and G10 versions fall in your $ range. Cutting edge is just under your 2" criteria- it cuts like a much longer blade though. You probably wont miss that 1/8". 1.2-2.0 oz the DF2 is nearly imperceptible weight wise.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Chaparral1 or G10 Dragonfly would be my suggestions.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Welcome to the forum. Chaparral without doubt. Can be had just under 100 and it punches well above its price point.

Sage, Cryo, Chaparral, Dragonfly. All three :spyder: come with the deep carry wire clip... The Naive5 Lightweight is an option I forgot to add (the clip on your Cryo actually fits it).
Last edited by abbazaba on Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

The Kiwi 4 is lightweight (1.9 oz), has a 2.9" blade with 2.5" cutting edge, and comes with a wire deep carry clip.

Only problem is they are a bit outside the stated price range, retailing new for $119. Perhaps a pre owned one can be found closer to your desired price.

If you want to know all the options the Kiwi 4 is an often overlooked knife.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

As others have said, the Chaparral for close to the high side of your budget or the Cat at the low end of your budget.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'll pile on and agree with what the others have said. Chaparral or Dragonfly. I bought a LNIB Chap of the BF Exchange yesterday that was well within your price range. So good deals are out there if you watch for them.

The Dragonfly is one of my favorites. Meets all your requirements too!

The Native 5 LW should be considered too. I know the blade is 3" but it's really a great size EDC and they're affordable.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

byrd Raven 2
Blade Length:3.4
Cutting Edge: 2.8
$40 :)
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
10SBUM

Post by 10SBUM »

Thanks for all the help so far...seems like I've got several great options to choose from with the Chaparral, DragonFly 2, and Cat leading the way.

I recently ordered a Byrd Robin 2 FRN just so I could get a feel as to whether I like the flipper on my Cryo or a hole better for the opening style.

What advantages am I going to gain/see moving from the Robin 2 to either the DragonFly 2 or the Cat?

Also, what would be the advantage of paying the extra $50 and moving up to the Chaparral instead of the DF2 or Cat?

And lastly, does one of the three conceal better than the others?

Again, I appreciate all the help and advice so far!

10SBUM
Holland

Post by Holland »

The difference in quality between the Chap and the DFly/Cat is very noticeable. The Chaparral is on another level. It has superior f&f, bet steel, an internal stop pin and just a more quality feel to it. Definitely worth the extra money imo
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Chaparral1 or G10 Dragonfly would be my suggestions.
/thread
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Holland wrote:The difference in quality between the Chap and the DFly/Cat is very noticeable. The Chaparral is on another level. It has superior f&f, bet steel, an internal stop pin and just a more quality feel to it. Definitely worth the extra money imo
^^ This.
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

10SBUM wrote:Also, what would be the advantage of paying the extra $50 and moving up to the Chaparral instead of the DF2 or Cat?
This thread might be worth the read. I have to agree with some of the comments that the Dfly can feel small and somewhat cramped in hand.
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=69304
10SBUM wrote:And lastly, does one of the three conceal better than the others?
The Chap is the slimmest of the three and Dfly might be ever so slightly more visible because of the lanyard hole.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

10SBUM

Post by 10SBUM »

abbazaba wrote:Could be worth a read :D
Thanks a lot for that link!

One question: in that post it says that the blade in the Chaparral is FFG but the Spyderco website states the blade is CTS XHP. Are they the same thing or have they changed the blade they put in the Chaparral?

Thanks to everyone for the input!

10SBUM
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

10SBUM wrote:
abbazaba wrote:Could be worth a read :D
Thanks a lot for that link!

One question: in that post it says that the blade in the Chaparral is FFG but the Spyderco website states the blade is CTS XHP. Are they the same thing or have they changed the blade they put in the Chaparral?

Thanks to everyone for the input!

10SBUM
The steel for the Chap is CTS-XHP. FFG simply stands for "full flat grind."
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
10SBUM

Post by 10SBUM »

SpyderNut wrote: The steel for the Chap is CTS-XHP. FFG simply stands for "full flat grind."
Ahhhh...makes since now...my apologies for my newbie ignorance. Have been carrying a basic Case or Swiss Army knife for the past 35 years...looking for a quality knife is something entirely new to me. Thanks for the help and the patience with all my questions!

Haven't really read much about the CTS-XHP blade but from what everyone has said it's pretty high quality. If I go with the Chaparral I better spend a lot of time practicing my newbie sharpening skills on my cheaper knives.

TripleB67
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

10SBUM wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: The steel for the Chap is CTS-XHP. FFG simply stands for "full flat grind."
Ahhhh...makes since now...my apologies for my newbie ignorance. Have been carrying a basic Case or Swiss Army knife for the past 35 years...looking for a quality knife is something entirely new to me. Thanks for the help and the patience with all my questions!

Haven't really read much about the CTS-XHP blade but from what everyone has said it's pretty high quality. If I go with the Chaparral I better spend a lot of time practicing my newbie sharpening skills on my cheaper knives.

TripleB67
No trouble at all, my friend. We all learn something new every day. :) I think you will very much enjoy the Chap. CTS-XHP is a very well-rounded steel, IMHO. Some have loosely referred to it as the stainless version of D2 tool steel. And D2 has had a strong following for many years. Good stuff all around.

For roughly $30 more, I would also suggest you looking at the Bradley Air. It is a superb design. Definitely one of my top five favorites.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

Welcome to our cozy little forum!
Given the specs, the first ones comes to my mind will be Dragonfly 2, Cat and Chicago.
If you are okay with slip-joints, Pingo, UKPK, Spy-DK, Squeak would also be nice.
Guess that's what I've got in my knowledge. Chaparral is actually another great choice but price is a little over chart after the new price policy.
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe