Thoughts on modified Wharncliffe?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bdblue

Re: Thoughts on modified Wharncliffe?

Post by bdblue »

I like a sheepsfoot blade for food use and have a set of cheap steak knives shaped that way. I think different uses require different blade shapes, and cutting food against a plate works well with the sheepsfoot blade. My normal use involves a lot of cutting with the point of the knife, and opening packages where puncturing is involved. I have seen sheepsfoot blades with somewhat keen points and others that were fairly blunt. For my typical use a Para2 or Manix 2 works well.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

It's not exactly a wharncliffe, but I like the Positron's blade shape for similar usage, with more flexibility
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

The bottom one would be a modded Warnie, perhaps...

ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The angle of blade on your middle one deals with the knuckle-dragging issue. I wonder if raising the tip and angle on the Kiwi like that would add or detract from its use-ability?
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

The modified wharncliffe is one of my favorite blade shapes. For me, the Kershaw Random Task 2 and Random Leek were pretty much perfection when it came to that blade shape. I think they would actually be considered a reverse tanto, but that's just semantics. The edge was mostly straight, with just a very slight curve near the tip, giving you just a little bit of belly.

If Spyderco produced a similar design, I don't think I could resist picking it up.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
v8r

Post by v8r »

What kind of blade would y'all consider a Chokwe? To me it's a modified Wharnie.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am afraid that my favorite single blade wharncliffe is the Cold Steel Mini Tuff Lite. I like the design better than the Spyderco version (sorry) as it puts the blade at an angle and lower down from the handle so your fingers are not in the way while using it. The very thin true hollow ground blade has a thin edge and it cuts like a light sabre. This is one of the rare times I prefer something over a Spydie design.
Plus, it is less than $16. http://www.knifeworks.com/images/produc ... l/20MT.jpg
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

v8r wrote:What kind of blade would y'all consider a Chokwe? To me it's a modified Wharnie.
I like to call that one "a wharnie that has been sharpened the wrong way and rounded up the tip" :p
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:
v8r wrote:What kind of blade would y'all consider a Chokwe? To me it's a modified Wharnie.
I like to call that one "a wharnie that has been sharpened the wrong way and rounded up the tip" :p
Hah, pretty much! :cool:
v8r

Post by v8r »

So a "Modified Wharnecliffe";)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The Pingo is a great design that is a "sheepsfoot with a point". I also like the shape of the Benchmade grip/mini grip that has the thumbhole (555?550? I don't own any grips). They call it a modified sheepsfoot but their reverse tanto Contego is similar in shape. The previously mentioned Caly 3.5 is perfect to me in its "leafcliffe" shape. I find the leaf shape with the slightest of belly is the EDC champ. The PM2 would be a better knife in this shape than the upswept skinner shape it has sold millions in. Yes, I know that last sentence will win me no likes but it is still up for debate
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

twinboysdad wrote:The PM2 would be a better knife in this shape than the upswept skinner shape it has sold millions in....
E-e-e-easy there big fella. Lets not get carried away. :cool:
v8r

Post by v8r »

twinboysdad wrote:The Pingo is a great design that is a "sheepsfoot with a point". I also like the shape of the Benchmade grip/mini grip that has the thumbhole (555?550? I don't own any grips). They call it a modified sheepsfoot but their reverse tanto Contego is similar in shape. The previously mentioned Caly 3.5 is perfect to me in its "leafcliffe" shape. I find the leaf shape with the slightest of belly is the EDC champ. The PM2 would be a better knife in this shape than the upswept skinner shape it has sold millions in. Yes, I know that last sentence will win me no likes but it is still up for debate
I'm down with a Wharnie PM2
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

v8r wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:The Pingo is a great design that is a "sheepsfoot with a point". I also like the shape of the Benchmade grip/mini grip that has the thumbhole (555?550? I don't own any grips). They call it a modified sheepsfoot but their reverse tanto Contego is similar in shape. The previously mentioned Caly 3.5 is perfect to me in its "leafcliffe" shape. I find the leaf shape with the slightest of belly is the EDC champ. The PM2 would be a better knife in this shape than the upswept skinner shape it has sold millions in. Yes, I know that last sentence will win me no likes but it is still up for debate
I'm down with a Wharnie PM2
Make mine a "leaf-cliffe"!!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

My current most used knife (my work knife) is a modded wharnie by araneae. At first, I thought I might round the end, but came to love the shape for work. Excellent. The flat edge doesn't slide off the work like a belly would. I cut a lot of cardboard and opening boxes, etc. and this is the best knife I've ever used. Thanks, araneae!

Now, if Sal and Eric would make me a PE Rescue (small) with FFG or at least a bit thinner than the existing one in VG10 or some such, I'd be very impressed.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I still get the urge to buy a Junior and have the blade reground like this..

And I came real close to doing this to my PM1 back in the day..

And then through some unfortunate sharpening I almost made my M4 Manix 2 a wharnie...this one still turns my stomach to look at though.

~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

OMG..D that's hideous, take it down, take it down... :eek:
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

farnorthdan wrote:OMG..D that's hideous, take it down, take it down... :eek:
Lol, which part?

I really like the Junior idea. If the handle were a bit larger and fit my hand better, I'd make that knife a reality.
~David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Seriously, a straight-ahead Wharncliffe blade (dead straight edge right to the pointy point) about the size of a Delica or Dragonfly, think, flat ground with a lock back... That would handle 90% of the actual tasks I carry a folding knife for. I think bellies are really for hunting, skinning, butchering. Some still do this, but I don't any longer.

Maybe I'm an old purist, but if it's modified, it's not a Wharncliffe blade.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Evil D wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:OMG..D that's hideous, take it down, take it down... :eek:
Lol, which part?

I really like the Junior idea. If the handle were a bit larger and fit my hand better, I'd make that knife a reality.
The M4...that made me cry a little, only been on my grail list for what seems like ever. :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."