.Got my new Techno and...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RobDigi

.Got my new Techno and...

Post by RobDigi »

First time on the forum.
Just got my new Techno...like it a lot.
I saw all the videos its pretty much what I expected,
I like the size, weight, good looks!!
The detente is strong but I've already begun to adjust my grip and am finding it easier to open,
slowly or with a quick thumb flip.

The only thing I have a question about is the frame lock,
I never had one before so please excuse my ignorance..
where the lock face meets the tang looks good about 40% like its suppose too,
but when I disengage the lock it makes a little squeak sound ( reminds of that annoying sound brakes can make on a car )
.. and I noticed that it has already made a significant mark on the tang.
Is this normal ? will it eventually wear into a smoother engagement or would a little lubricating help.
Last edited by RobDigi on Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

Razzle

Re: .Got my new Techno and...

Post by Razzle »

Normal. No lube, that will make matters worse.

Keep that interface CLEAN....as in sparkly clean and degreased with alcohol. It'll break in nicely.

If it keeps making a racket, you can "paint" that portion of the blade tang (lock bar/tang interface) with a little graphite from a pencil, or the black from a Sharpie marker. A little of either will be just enough of a "dry lube".......eventually, with use, the squeak will stop on it's own, generally.

My year old Cruwear Millie still squeals at me every once in awhile.
Last edited by Razzle on Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

How does it fit your hand? I have fairly large hands and I wonder how it will fit mine. This is why I have not bought one as I have not been able to hold one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Congrats RobDigi, and welcome to the forum! You've got an excellent little tank of a knife there.

The titanium on the lockbar is softer than the steel on the tang, so you won't hurt the knife steel. Cycle it a few dozen times and it'll probably work its way to an equilibrium. Razzle's advice is good.
Doc Dan wrote:How does it fit your hand? I have fairly large hands and I wonder how it will fit mine. This is why I have not bought one as I have not been able to hold one.
The Techno's handle is similar in dimensions to the PM2 (handle thickness and width), just shorter. It's about the same grip length as a DF2. It might end up being a three-finger grip for you, in which case a lanyard would help. My hands are small-medium and I could get a full grip on it, but I rarely ever held it that way in use. The Techno is perfectly shaped for riding a finger along the spine, with the thumb to the side.

Here's a link to a thread on BF: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... mpressions
Comparison photos to PM2 in the OP; in hand shots in page 2.
palonej

Post by palonej »

NO LUBE!!!! It will make matters MUCH worse!!!
The squeak should stop after playing with it for a while. I would just take a pencil and 'color' the part of the blade that comes in contact with the lock face......that will stop it immediately!!
Good luck with that little tank!! Great knife!
Welcome!
Joe
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi, welcome to the forum! I've had the lock squeak on some of my knives and found two things helped a bit: first, when the blade is open and lock engaged, gently push the lockbar further in gently. It may move in slightly and "break" in a bit more properly. I also give the blade a few gentle spine whacks when it's open like this to flatten any small nub making the squeak. Secondly, all the squeakers stopped squeaking after repeated use. I believe it's just a natural breaking in period for some percentage of RIL locks. Hope that helps, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

Thanks for all your replies!!
I got it... NO LUBE...lol
@ Dan. I have a S/M hand short stubby fingers but I get several good angles
on the handle and I can open it and close it one handed.
I suspect a guy with larger hands would have to have some nimble fingers to be comfortable with this knife.
But the Techno is so pretty...I would want it even if I hand to use two hands...its just a very cool piece!