Carry 2 knives? 3 knives? More???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DrtyHarry

Carry 2 knives? 3 knives? More???

Post by DrtyHarry »

Well...I carry 3 to be honest. Might be a bit of an overkill, but I carry my straight edge Millie as my primary knife. I also carry a fully serrated Millie. I was in a car wreck once and I am very happy I had a serrated blade with me to cut the belt I was tangled up in. If I don't have it ON me, the serrated blade is ALWAYS in my car.

I have a Leatherman Micra on my key chain....the scissors on that thing is incredible. They work great. And, when spending long days outdoors...I carry my Leatherman Wave. The holster holds the tool, the two bit strips, a pen, and a lighter. On my keys, aside from my Micra, I have a Surefire Titan and USB drive. And lastly, my Karambit. Now that I just purchased a PM2...I find myself sticking it in the small front right pocket in my jeans. I know...I'm wearing too much. So I decided to just keep the serrated Millie in the car and no longer carry it. I even have a few pen knives. But you know what? Yes...I like collecting knives and edged tools/weapons, but I actually do find myself using them for every day regular purposes. Thank GOD I never had to use a blade to defend myself, I have had the training....I came close to having to use one, but never did. So am I carrying too many blades? Some say to carry a combo blade...I don't. Many of my friends who are LEOs, they carry a minimum of 2 blades as well....some 3. But I'm not a LEO.

What do you carry every day?
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
baldanthony

Re: Carry 2 knives? 3 knives? More???

Post by baldanthony »

I carry 3 on person, and then usually have 1-2 in my car and 1 in my Vanquest pack.
- I keep a Pinkerton neck knife around my neck if I want something small without a lock.
- Little big knife clipped to my change pocket. Lava, Dodo, Squeak, etc. I use this for most of my cutting tasks.
- 3"+ in back pocket if I need something with a longer cutting edge, or for idle flipping, playing with. Lately my blurple PM2, but this changes almost daily.
I like to keep the knives on separate sides of my body for convenience, so if one arm is carrying things, I can always reach a knife if necessary. This was a habit I started when I wasn't very well-to-do and lived in a heavy crime area - carrying groceries in the dark made me uneasy. Now, it's just an excuse to carry more toys to play with! I keep a large fixed blade in my car for camping, impromptu hiking, etc. I also keep a seatbelt cutter in my visor, and wear a clunky Leatherman Tread.

To answer your question, I think it's only too much if you feel it's cumbersome - pockets too heavy, trouble fitting other things in your pockets like keys, wallet, etc. I don't mind the weight myself, and my dark jeans can handle and conceal what I carry nicely. Only problem I run across is suddenly becoming aware that I'm in a 'safe zone', like voting in a school, with way too much on me Haha! Nowadays I consider knives as tools and tend to forget others see them only as weapons. Cheers!
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Good answer. I forgot to mention my neck knife, either a karambit or a Cold Steel Safe Keeper II. Nope...my pants never feel heavy....with the right jeans and a good gun belt. All is well...and I wear a full size 1911, so I have that, mags, wallet, phone, etc. Pants/jeans from Duluth Trading make it all possible.
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
BTG

Post by BTG »

3 knives..LBHB always, then one right front, today s110 P2, and one front right cargo, today positron....H1 rescue always in the truck..
npad69

Post by npad69 »

1 (pac salt) when running/jogging, beach

1 (stretch) casual wear outside the house / doing errands

2 (delica4 + box cutter) lives in my messenger bag for school and work

2 (stretch + resilience) when i had to go to my wife's workplace to cook, or going to picnics/camping

2 (SAK swiss champ + another box cutter) lives on my study table at home

2 (stretch + leatherman supertool 300) when i had to go to my mother's house because she always think of something for me to fix whenever i visit her so i could stay a while longer :/
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Varies, but usually 3 if I'm wearing a jacket. Yesterday for example: Sage1 and SAK in jeans, Manix2 LW S110V in jacket (more than I care to admit in the truck). There are always semi-perminant staples in all my bags.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I usually carry 4.

1. A primary knife clipped to my front pocket.
2. A smaller secondary knife clipped to my back pocket.
3. I carry a traditional knife inside a front pocket
4. my money clip is a serrated cricket.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I carry a minimum of 11 knives at all times. You just never know, am I right?
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Usually 2, unless you count my sharpened canines, plus squarehead on keyring. Air is always in the watch pocket, and something bigger in RFP or IWB. just kidding re: sharpened teeth tho, that might catch a stake through the heart out here!
Waco

Post by Waco »

I usually have a knife and Leatherman. Knife size depends on where I'm going and what I'm wearing. If I'm wearing pants with sturdy belt loops, I'll carry my Rebar in its sheath. Otherwise, I'll carry my Micra.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you count anything with a blade..I think I usually carry 4.

1. Primary EDC
2. Secondary EDC, typically SE, typically my Dfly Salt
3. Ladybug on my keys, usually ZDP
4. Vic Spirit blade
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Holland

Post by Holland »

1 main knife
and a ss bug resides on my keychain that I never remember I have
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Lately it's just been one. Cruwear military in my back pocket. Sometimes I'll pair it up with the usn ladybug or h1 se dragonfly
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

TWO minimum on duty (uniformed patrol LEO).

I may sound like a hypocrite-I start getting "the weird outs" when I meet some folks that carry more than 3 or 4 on their person for general EDC. When I was SCUBA diving-I had 3 (leg, BC, gauge console) and when doing anything outdoor I usually have 3 or 4 (fixed blade belt knife, light folder in right pocket, small lightweight fixed blade on pack strap, SAK in pack).

On duty I carry a plain edge folder in my right from pocket and a serrated edge folder in my left front pocket. For about a year or more that was PE Endura and SE Matriarch 2. A Cold Steel Black Talon 2 has bumped the Endura for now...at least on a trial basis.

Off duty I carry the BT2 in right front pocket but always have one more knife on me somewhere, although I usually don't bother with a serrated edge off duty. I ALWAYS wear a vest (khaki, canvas, fleece, or down) off duty (to conceal off-duty gun, mags, badge) so I usually drop a Delica in the right pocket of that garment.

TWO MAIN REASONS-
1. Use for most "public" displays and/or to loan to someone, so as not to scare the poop out of them or make them think I'm psycho by the "holy crap!" from-the-pocket deployment of the BT2!
2. Easier to get to seated than the BT2 in the pants pocket.
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Off work, a main carry PE knife, plus whatever keychain knife I have on my keys (Usually a G10 Jester or SB Ladybug). At work, a PE main carry, a SE secondary carry (Typically a Tasman Salt or Spyderhawk, but sometimes a DFly Salt), and again my keychain knife. So basically 2 off work, and 3 at work. Not always the case, but that's the norm.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
gac

Post by gac »

I always have two, one for each front pocket. I used to carry one but then I'd set the thing down and not have it when needed.

I never heard of the Black Talon 2 before and looked it up. Gee, I wonder where they got that blade design from...?
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

I carry 2-3 every day. Generally I carry a caly 3 or chaparral as my main blade, a small knife or friction folder in my shirt pocket, and then I always have a leatherman micra ps4 with my keys. Not that I need all three, but I enjoy them and have fun using different knives throughout the day.

My three favorite pairings are:

Caly 3 cf, chaparral cf, micra
Caly 3 superblue, dragonfly zdp, micra
Boker urban trapper, higonokami, micra
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Usually 2...a larger folder in RFP, right now a Leu Hamachi and then always my SB manbug in RSP. Occasionally I will also have a fixed blade of some sort but not very often.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ahhhh I fit the MORE category...summer time carry will be 8-12 knives
Winter carry will generally be 12-17 knives edc, sometimes, but on a rare occasion over 20 knives.....Doc:)

This a picture of recent multiple knives carried on a daily basis, I count 13 exposed and I know of two others which you can't see in the picture because they are in deep concealment, but there in the pic.....Doc:)
ChuckDiesel

Post by ChuckDiesel »

Two (sometimes three) on duty (LE). One back right pocket and one left pocket. With one being an auto/OTF and one of them having at least partial serrations. Occasionally a third hidden. And quite few in a patrol bag, etc. Usually a Spyderco to play with.

Off I carry two. One front right pocket and one back left pocket.