Knife laws in Canada

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
josemfuente

Knife laws in Canada

Post by josemfuente »

Hi folks,

I'm going to Canada this summer for vacation and I wonder which are the established knife laws there. I would like to carry my PM2, my SE delica and the PM3 if then available. Will I be allowed?

Thanks for your support.

Regards
maliboy67

Re: Knife laws in Canada

Post by maliboy67 »

The only restrictions here are, no autos or butterfly knives. If you carry a fixed blade it must not be consealed. If the knife can be opened by gravity it is also prohibited. If you hold the lock bar on your pm2 and it flops open that is ok as you have to maniplate the lock, but if you can hold the knife and flick it open without manipulating a lock bar or flipper tab it is prohibited. Hope this helps, our knife laws a fairly relaxed.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Those should be allowed as long as you're not brandishing them or stating your reason for carry is self defence.

The law is pretty generic (no autos, balisongs, daggers, hidden knives). Where will you be visiting?
josemfuente

Post by josemfuente »

Thanks for quick responses!

We want to go to enjoy the nature of Alberta, Brittish Columbia and Yukon
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

maliboy67 wrote:The only restrictions here are, no autos or butterfly knives. If you carry a fixed blade it must not be consealed. If the knife can be opened by gravity it is also prohibited. If you hold the lock bar on your pm2 and it flops open that is ok as you have to maniplate the lock, but if you can hold the knife and flick it open without manipulating a lock bar or flipper tab it is prohibited. Hope this helps, our knife laws a fairly relaxed.
Everything here is correct except for the concealed part. There are no laws against a concealed knife, fixed or otherwise.

All the blades you mentioned are fine. Maybe just tighten the pivots down a bit before crossing to be safe. Then lighten them up afterwards.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Holland

Post by Holland »

Very relaxed indeed. The main concept is you can't have a weapon on you, but a tool is fine. So a butter knife is a no go if you are using it to defend yourself, but a sword is fine as long as its used to trim bushes :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
maliboy67

Post by maliboy67 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
maliboy67 wrote:The only restrictions here are, no autos or butterfly knives. If you carry a fixed blade it must not be consealed. If the knife can be opened by gravity it is also prohibited. If you hold the lock bar on your pm2 and it flops open that is ok as you have to maniplate the lock, but if you can hold the knife and flick it open without manipulating a lock bar or flipper tab it is prohibited. Hope this helps, our knife laws a fairly relaxed.
Everything here is correct except for the concealed part. There are no laws against a concealed knife, fixed or otherwise.

All the blades you mentioned are fine. Maybe just tighten the pivots down a bit before crossing to be safe. Then lighten them up afterwards.
You are correct, we forgot push daggers are prohib too. All the knives the OP listed are ok.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

We're pretty good up here...everything you mentioned should be 100% fine. Enjoy the Rockies...some fantastic scenery to be sure. I'll include a gratuitous Spydie-inclusive shot or two I took while working on the rooftop of a Banff hotel, and I do highly recommend visiting Banff. I'm only about 90-100 minutes drive from Banff myself.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
gusto5

Post by gusto5 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:

Ditto on the crossing matter. I imagine crossing the border into Canada may be the potentially troublesome part of the trip. Otherwise, the Canadians will be excited to see more EDCs in the country!
Starmate C55GP
Jordinordin

Post by Jordinordin »

Liquid Cobra wrote:

There are laws against concealed carry in alberta and bc but idk about yukon. In alberta and bc you cannot have a blade that is assisted or over 3.5 inches concealed. Just thought i would warn you so you dont get caught
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Rigger is that the Spyderhawk or is that the Tasman Salt the hawkbill you posted?
knifeneasy

Post by knifeneasy »

Jordinordin wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:

There are laws against concealed carry in alberta and bc but idk about yukon. In alberta and bc you cannot have a blade that is assisted or over 3.5 inches concealed. Just thought i would warn you so you dont get caught
There are no provincially regulated laws regarding knife carry, this falls under the Criminal Code which is Federal. As stated you may carry pretty much anything unless it's prohibited by the criminal code (gravity, ballisongs, etc), or being carried as a weapon. Police discretion can play into interpretation of the law, but if you're responsible you'll be just fine with all of your knives. My wife used my Military at the food court in a well to do area of Vancouver just last week without anyone batting an eye. Have fun, and enjoy Canada!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

knifeneasy wrote:
Jordinordin wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:

There are no provincially regulated laws regarding knife carry, this falls under the Criminal Code which is Federal. As stated you may carry pretty much anything unless it's prohibited by the criminal code (gravity, ballisongs, etc), or being carried as a weapon. Police discretion can play into interpretation of the law, but if you're responsible you'll be just fine with all of your knives. My wife used my Military at the food court in a well to do area of Vancouver just last week without anyone batting an eye. Have fun, and enjoy Canada!
Yup. KnifenEasy (great user name) nailed it. We have enough silly laws in our country Jordinordin, we don't need to make up new ones for the politicians. No length limits, assisted knives are fine and there are no concealment laws.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
knifeneasy wrote:
Jordinordin wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:

Yup. KnifenEasy (great user name) nailed it. We have enough silly laws in our country Jordinordin, we don't need to make up new ones for the politicians. No length limits, assisted knives are fine and there are no concealment laws.
Concealed weapons are prohibited, so long as the knife in your pocket is a tool and not a weapon for self defence there is no problem. Liquid Cobra is pretty much on point here.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Rigger is that the Spyderhawk or is that the Tasman Salt the hawkbill you posted?
Spyderhawk. I carry my Tasman Salt a lot more because it's easily replaceable...and it's probably the best "Beater" knife I've owned (By a country mile). I do things with that knife that I wouldn't dare to do with any other knife in my collection. That said though...I'd carry a Spyderhawk more often than a Tasman (Mostly at work) if it was in current production and not so hard to replace if anything was to happen to it.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
PM1

Post by PM1 »

The knives you listed are fine.

Canadian law is based on intent. If you say a knife is a weapon or use a knife as a weapon, it is a weapon. If you say a knife is a tool and use it as a tool, it is a tool. Tool = legal. Weapon = not legal.

I live in Vancouver and carry a different Spydie every day. I have never had any problem.