Did i buy a fake Ambitious? (Texas ebay seller)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Re: Did i buy a fake Ambitious? (Texas ebay seller)

Post by MichaelScott »

You probably got a used knife. Notify the seller, ask for a return authorization and to credit you for another knife or refund.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

eCop! *is* a reputable dealer.. You don't get 99,6% positive ratings on 800 000 + sales on eBay if you're a crook :)
That said, i had a look at their feedback, and last month seems to have many complaints.. I have never had a problem with them though.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

There is a fake black Tenacious but haven't heard of others in the value line. Fakers always take the best sellers or most popular model. Yours look more like used rather than fake.

The oil or smudges are normal for this line though.
Chris :spyder:
knolan

Post by knolan »

dezenten wrote:Is there a better quality knife in the same size?
Yep...the "Techno" is extremely similar in form. If you like the chunky appeal of the Ambitious, I'm guessing you'll love the Techno's far superior materials, and meticulous build quality. I own both, and the Ambitious segued me into Spyderco's higher end folders and wide array of powdered metallurgy blade steels.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I'd take a loong look at the Byrd Crow 2..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Cat.. John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
dezenten

Post by dezenten »

Larry_Mott wrote:I'd take a loong look at the Byrd Crow 2..
Tack!

I will have a look at the Byrd, isn't that a sister company to Spyderco?
dezenten

Post by dezenten »

MichaelScott wrote:You probably got a used knife. Notify the seller, ask for a return authorization and to credit you for another knife or refund.
Thanks for you advice, problem is i live in Sweden and i pay $23 every time it crosses the border to Sweden otherwise sending the knife back would be the ideal thing to do.
dezenten

Post by dezenten »

knolan wrote:
dezenten wrote:Is there a better quality knife in the same size?
Yep...the "Techno" is extremely similar in form. If you like the chunky appeal of the Ambitious, I'm guessing you'll love the Techno's far superior materials, and meticulous build quality. I own both, and the Ambitious segued me into Spyderco's higher end folders and wide array of powdered metallurgy blade steels.
Thank you, i do like the design of the Techno but i am paying that money i need to do way more research before buying and compare it to several other knifes :)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

dezenten wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:I'd take a loong look at the Byrd Crow 2..
Tack!

I will have a look at the Byrd, isn't that a sister company to Spyderco?
Yeah, Byrd knives is a Spyderco branch. The ones i have handled are quite nice. The Raven 2 is equal, in my eyes to Spydercos 3 x the price. Sal really hit a homerun with that one. That's why i recommended the Crow, it's a slightly smaller Raven :)
SpydyLover1234

Post by SpydyLover1234 »

looks good to me
Lusitania

Post by Lusitania »

Hi there !
Yes, I had exactly the same experience with this seller a few weeks ago in December and I asked myself the same question, my Ambitious came without any paper in an odd box (almost destroyed with unusual marks).
I live in France and the package arrived unopened, so it means that the seller send it as is (no mishandled custom verification).
It's not a big deal, just a few dollars but I won't buy from eCop! in the future, on eBay for Europe I advise Whitemountainknives and Outfittercountry, these are serious and trusted sellers who ask reasonable shipping costs.
Besides, I wasn't impressed by the Ambitious, ok it's a very cheap knife but I don't like the overall construction neither the 8cr13mov steel, it's a bulky and quite heavy knife for its size. I agree with many here, the Dragonfly 2 especially in zdp-189 steel (which I have on my Ladybug BRG, **** I love that knife) is a way better choice for edc : it's smaller and lighter in the pocket with the same blade length. In between I carry a brand new Chicago with the BD1 (great) steel, nice little one too !
I'll keep the Ambitious in my car as a backup knife, it'll probably sleep there a few years I guess ;-)
Cheers,
Spydercos current list : Bug, Ladybug zdp-189, Ladybug USN H1 PE, Chicago BD1, Ambitious, Tasman Salt H1 PE, Matriarch 2 Emerson Black, Civilian ... and more to come.
dezenten

Post by dezenten »

Lusitania wrote:Hi there !
Yes, I had exactly the same experience with this seller a few weeks ago in December and I asked myself the same question, my Ambitious came without any paper in an odd box (almost destroyed with unusual marks).
I live in France and the package arrived unopened, so it means that the seller send it as is (no mishandled custom verification).
It's not a big deal, just a few dollars but I won't buy from eCop! in the future, on eBay for Europe I advise Whitemountainknives and Outfittercountry, these are serious and trusted sellers who ask reasonable shipping costs.
Besides, I wasn't impressed by the Ambitious, ok it's a very cheap knife but I don't like the overall construction neither the 8cr13mov steel, it's a bulky and quite heavy knife for its size. I agree with many here, the Dragonfly 2 especially in zdp-189 steel (which I have on my Ladybug BRG, **** I love that knife) is a way better choice for edc : it's smaller and lighter in the pocket with the same blade length. In between I carry a brand new Chicago with the BD1 (great) steel, nice little one too !
I'll keep the Ambitious in my car as a backup knife, it'll probably sleep there a few years I guess ;-)
Cheers,

Wow maybe they wont care as much for foreign buyers? like many others you suggest the Dragonfly 2 i will order this when i find a good deal and probably also the Techno :) Also the new Mantra I looks amazing and i like flippers, just trying to figure out if that is legal in Sweden so i don't jeopardise my gun license.

Cheers!
dcfis

Post by dcfis »

Sorry to hear the overseas guys troubles. I always heard of them to be a good seller.
kjd2121

Post by kjd2121 »

Sorry about your issue.

The Techno is an absolutely awesome knike in materials and craftsmanship. The blade stock is thick so it is not really a slicer, but a tough little knife.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Lusitania wrote:Hi there !
Cheers,
If you do have to order knives on eBay.....Lusitania hit the nail on the head with Whitemountanknives.
Justin is just about the best dealer I have dealt with anywhere!
Good luck!
Joe
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

In fairness, Ambitious clones may exist, there may even be one or more people selling them on eBay. However, I seriously doubt that the OP got a fake one from eCop.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

The Deacon wrote:In fairness, Ambitious clones may exist, there may even be one or more people selling them on eBay. However, I seriously doubt that the OP got a fake one from eCop.
I also find it hard to believe that eCop would sell fakes, and why would they send crap to overseas buyers who are relying on the very kind of outlets to get good knives at fair prices. That would be shooting themselves in the foot big time.
Lusitania

Post by Lusitania »

@palonej Justin at Whitmountainknives is a great dealer indeed !

I agree with Larry, I doubt that fake Ambitious are on the market. Occasionally the knives and the boxes pass quality control and they miss something, as for the paper work they seem to include. But I don't want to receive this kind of product.
Spydercos current list : Bug, Ladybug zdp-189, Ladybug USN H1 PE, Chicago BD1, Ambitious, Tasman Salt H1 PE, Matriarch 2 Emerson Black, Civilian ... and more to come.
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

It's legitimate