Anyone Else Like Mules?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Anyone Else Like Mules?

Post by Doc Dan »

I like mules but they can be stubborn.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kosta

Post by kosta »

farnorthdan wrote:
kosta wrote:
farnorthdan wrote: Wonder what the next one will be, what is your guess on the next one?
I would like the following mule from CPM S125V steel
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

[quote="SpeedHoles"]Just incase anyone reading here hasn't seen this older thread of a related topic:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31531

:D

Some amazing photos in that thread.[/quote

Thank you for posting this link.
I had no idea this thread existed. Great pictures and outstanding craftsmanship displayed. Some very inspiring ideas. :)
Nate

Post by Nate »

m4d wrote:I also really like the mules. It is a really nice way to try out some of the different steels. Has anyone tried the MT20 in CTS-B70P? If so, how does it compare to S30V in edge retention and toughness?
I can't help a ton, but I have a mule in K390 and one in B70P. Since I got the B70P, it is the one that gets used. The big advantage to me is that the one I got is ground very thin, thinner than all my Spydies except an old Caly Jr. I have. Edge retention with the slicer grind on it has been great, I also feel it's easier for me to sharpen than s30v. While I generally like carbon steels and having a patina on many of my blades, the stainless is nice since I don't have to worry about moisture getting under the scales if it get wet or after washing the blade, (I like being able to swap out scales and haven't glued them on to either mule). Haven't done anything with it to comment on toughness.
:spyder:
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

My K390 mule has gotten the most use of any with the XHP trailing behind. I have a B70P with Halpern scales and sheathpro kydex that I plan on gifting my father so haven't used it yet.
m4d

Post by m4d »

Nate wrote:
m4d wrote:I also really like the mules. It is a really nice way to try out some of the different steels. Has anyone tried the MT20 in CTS-B70P? If so, how does it compare to S30V in edge retention and toughness?
I can't help a ton, but I have a mule in K390 and one in B70P. Since I got the B70P, it is the one that gets used. The big advantage to me is that the one I got is ground very thin, thinner than all my Spydies except an old Caly Jr. I have. Edge retention with the slicer grind on it has been great, I also feel it's easier for me to sharpen than s30v. While I generally like carbon steels and having a patina on many of my blades, the stainless is nice since I don't have to worry about moisture getting under the scales if it get wet or after washing the blade, (I like being able to swap out scales and haven't glued them on to either mule). Haven't done anything with it to comment on toughness.
Thanks for your reply. The edge retention was the main thing I wondered about with B70P. I was hoping it had edge retention equal or close to S30V.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

akaAK wrote:My K390 mule has gotten the most use of any with the XHP trailing behind. I have a B70P with Halpern scales and sheathpro kydex that I plan on gifting my father so haven't used it yet.
I would be very interested in some actual use information on the K390......being as that Mule is one I would really like to have but cannot seem to find anywhere at any price. I expect it must have been a very popular Mule and I like the looks of the steel analysis. :)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

El Gato wrote:
akaAK wrote:My K390 mule has gotten the most use of any with the XHP trailing behind. I have a B70P with Halpern scales and sheathpro kydex that I plan on gifting my father so haven't used it yet.
I would be very interested in some actual use information on the K390......being as that Mule is one I would really like to have but cannot seem to find anywhere at any price. I expect it must have been a very popular Mule and I like the looks of the steel analysis. :)

Yeah, I'm somewhat disappointed in the lack of Mule Team feedback I can actually find... (or should I say, cannot find).
...and if it's difficult for me to find on these forums, as a current regular participant, then I'm not sure where else the feedback is submitted for people to see (other than maybe youtube)???

But, it seems like whatever feedback Spydercrew got must have been quite positive! Or atleast Sal and others liked the steel, because it sounds like they'll be using it in some future production folders!! Excited for that.
Hope 4V ends up following the same route!
Going back to Caly.
kosta

Post by kosta »

El Gato wrote:
Look here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Mule-M ... 1801334496" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
vvs

Post by vvs »

Yesterday got my MT20 dressed from mail:

Stabilized oak (black one) and colored maple burl.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I am actually very impressed with the K390. It started life in the kitchen where it developed some minor patina. It didn't meet any challenges in about 3 months of use. No issues with chipping (cut through chicken bone occasionally). After this I though it time to take it outside for yard work. The only material that gave it problems was cutting sod. I made about 25 linear feet of cuts which dulled the blade considerably but I did not have to switch it out during the job. Sod as most here will know is a disaster for most edges. The other uses outdoors were trimming plants, opening bags of soil, cutting pots, trimming plant stakes. None of those caused it any issue. I was also surprised to see very little chipping of the blade.

Overall it performed better than I expected which led me to the issue of getting it sharp again. I worked on it using a SharpMaker for some time but was not getting satisfactory results so I stapled some coarse sandpaper to a piece of 2x4 and went to work on the back bevel. This was my first real experience with freehand sharpening but it went reasonable well. I have left the back bevel rough and at about 25-27 degrees. After this I worked with the primary bevel with a Extra Coarse diamond stone and the diamonds, medium and fine Sharpmaker stones at the 30 degree setting. I had read that producing a wire edge and getting rid of it were an issue with this steel so I alternated stokes to avoid this which seemed to work.

After this it has been used for utility work, taking down cardboard, opening packages with nothing more than a couple of swipes on the fine stone. The edge is very resilient. I have some upcoming yard projects (new house so need to work up some garden beds both flower and vegetable along with some landscaping and stone patio work) which will put this mule to work.

I am going to say it but my sharpening skills are developing at best and most of my knives rarely see any type of hard use. Any hard use usually goes to a handful of folders until this. The K390 Mule (Halpern flat FG scales and sheathpro kydex) it a permanent utility knife and now lives in the garage for anything and everything. I was lucky to pick up a second which has so far remained NIB. It is outfitted with the Halpern contoured black handles and a sheathpro kydex). My main reason to put this one to work was that it made me sad to see it sitting in its box unfulfilled and underutilized.

I am hoping to one day break the pattern and make my own handle scales and sheath but the two off the rack options have been so good I haven't seen the need yet.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

kosta wrote:
Look here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Mule-M ... 1801334496" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
I cannot thank you enough for this link kosta. I am going to keep a close watch on this :spyder: K390 Mule.
Thank you VERY much!! :) :)
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

[quote="akaAK"]I am actually very impressed with the K390. It started life in the kitchen where it developed some minor patina. It didn't meet any challenges in about 3 months of use. No issues with chipping (cut through chicken bone occasionally). After this I though it time to take it outside for yard work. The only material that gave it problems was cutting sod. I made about 25 linear feet of cuts which dulled the blade considerably but I did not have to switch it out during the job. Sod as most here will know is a disaster for most edges. The other uses outdoors were trimming plants, opening bags of soil, cutting pots, trimming plant stakes. None of those caused it any issue. I was also surprised to see very little chipping of the blade.

The edge is very resilient. I have some upcoming yard projects (new house so need to work up some garden beds both flower and vegetable along with some landscaping and stone patio work) which will put this mule to work. quote]

This makes K390 sound like a very good working steel for a variety of uses. Thank you for sharing your experiences with the K390.
I am now pretty much convinced I need a K390 Mule.

As usual, Forum Members are always willing to help. :)
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Not for me. Bought the first one, never liked it, never used it. Offered it out for sale.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

vvs wrote:Yesterday got my MT20 dressed from mail:

Stabilized oak (black one) and colored maple burl.
Hey vvs I just wanted to say since no one else has commented, that these look very nice, beautiful in fact. Great lanyard hole also. Who did you have do the work? :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
vvs

Post by vvs »

farnorthdan wrote:Hey vvs I just wanted to say since no one else has commented, that these look very nice, beautiful in fact. Great lanyard hole also. Who did you have do the work? :)
Hi farnorthdan,

Thank you, I like them too :) Was curious how Mules fills my hand, now I can say they're most comfortable fixed blade I have (even better than Pekka's Puukko which I also like very much and in fact the best woodworking knife in my rankings). Regarding your question, since I live in Ukraine I spent my money locally, so it's Ukrainian master. Handle and leather sheath $40 for *both*. Plenty of wood variants and coloration available.

I personally prefer natural materials so I insist on wood and leather. Additionally B70P blade scratches so easily, so Kydex sheath was questionable.
kosta

Post by kosta »

kjd2121

Post by kjd2121 »

I picked up 3 Mules last year.

Spyderco Mule Team 1 - 52100 steel
Spyderco Mule Team 3 - S90V steel
Spyderco Mule Team 21 - CPM 4V

The #1 and #3 I got off the exchange for reasonable prices. I did order 2 sets of Halpern scales and set to work on installing on the MT1 and MT3.

I couldn't get them to fit the MT1 - the holes are too small - WTF?? Now I need to order a $30 drill bit to widen the holes - No thanks.

The MT3 and MT21 are getting worked in the kitchen. They both seem to hold up about the same as far as edge retention. Mainly used for raw vegetables. The CPM 4V has developed some tiny rust spots and a bit of patina in areas. It gets rinsed off and not dried all the time. Nothing a little sandpaper won't handle. The S90V just laughs at water :)

El Gato

Post by El Gato »

For what it's worth concerning patina and corrosion this has been my experience with my own MT21 in CPM 4V.
When I first got my MT21 two months ago I gave it a light application of FrogLube CPL over the entire knife, warming it in direct sunlight for the FrogLube to penetrate the pores of the steel as FrogLube recommends. I then installed my Halpern scales and put the MT21 to work as my only knife for all purposes, edc, table use, and kitchen duty. The MT21 prepares 3 meals a day including my daily lunch salad, so it cuts tomatoes, cucumber, etc. everyday. In fully 2 months of daily kitchen use there is still NO sign of any patina or corrosion forming anywhere on the knife. This is due to the initial FrogLube treatment, which I lightly touch up, on the blade only, every couple of weeks or so just to maintain protection. FrogLube is a natural product and is food safe.

A friend and knife dealer, who lives in northern Minnesota and also happens to be a dealer for FrogLube, applied FrogLube to a pocketknife with a 1095 carbon steel blade and brass liners. The knife was then placed outside on his picnic table in the winter weather from subfreezing, snow covered, melting, rained on, etc. for fully 2 months. It came through with NO corrosion of any kind and the blade remains shiny new. This was an independent test of the FrogLube protection and had nothing to do with the manufacturer. I can provide links if anyone is interested as he did a review of this test with pictures on his company Blog.

I was very skeptical of FrogLube when I first heard of it, but it has proven to be an amazing product for me. If you don't care for patina you might want to look into FrogLube. It also makes a good lubricant and an all around CPL.
Just my experience, for what it's worth.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I have some slight discolorations on one side of my 4V in particular now, from using it outdoors for a long weekend, and not drying it off everytime before sheathing. Doesn't bother me. All part of it! Liking the knife so far.
Going back to Caly.