Starting over?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpeedHoles

Re: Starting over?

Post by SpeedHoles »

Looks like what you still have remaining is an incredible selection of awesome models!

Were you not impressed with the 20CP PM2? I just ask because I have no experience with that steel...
Going back to Caly.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

All those PM2 sprints, oh the humanity! ;) :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

LC's M1A is easy to understand. But DemonCase, you are in the UK.
Why would you be interested in Vietnam Era kit ?
Everyone has to have a hobby. Just wondering why you chose that one.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I've bought and sold a few knives. Sometimes they seem right in the reviews, on the forum and in pictures, but getting one in hand often tells a different tale. I'm about a two-hour drive each way to a Spyderco dealer so my main "shopping' is online, and when I get one in hand. I infrequently get to Golden to handle knives I'm interested in. When I buy online, sometimes they just aren't right for me so I either return them, if that is appropriate, or sell them to someone else.

Being on a limited income, I'm aiming for two or three folders and a fixed blade, all Spydercos.

For sure I can be happy with a Dragonfly 2, a Stretch and a Delica. However, I'm really looking to end up with the DF and the Stretch, plus a GB2 and a Serrata. I don't actually need the GB2 or the Serrata, but, really, what's need got to do with it?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:All those PM2 sprints, oh the humanity! ;) :D
It's not like I sold an M390 or anything ;)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Mad Mac wrote:LC's M1A is easy to understand. But DemonCase, you are in the UK.
That's easy!: growing up in the 80s, I had Platoon, Hamburger Hill, Full Metal Jacket, First Blood and Apocalypse Now come out....the first "grown up" movies I saw. Then get I bit older and get the depth of detail from the upheavals of the time, it still fascinates. Plus: 'Nam kit is just cooler looking.

There's a big Vietnam Re enactment community over here
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks for the followup, Cobra. Based on your selling experience, where or how would you recommend selling off a large number like that? I may have to do something similar in the not too distant. You still have a fine bunch of EDCs. How do you like the Mantra?

About collecting: until I got the Spyderco bug, I didn't collect anything but fishing lures and stopped that decades ago, but I had a friend that collected 12 cylinder Lincolns back in the 60s & 70s (also coins and car tags). During WWII less than a thousand or so of some models were built because of the steel shortage, etc. There was a sort of paradoxical situation where their rarity caused them to be cheaper to buy. Since they were so scarce enthusiasts never got into buying them and there was never much demand. He paid as little as $600 to $1000 for some of them and had 5 or 6 finally, but he had a heck of a time finding places to store them, and to make matters worse, he moved around fairly frequently, so he finally got rid of them.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

demoncase wrote:
Mad Mac wrote:LC's M1A is easy to understand. But DemonCase, you are in the UK.
That's easy!: growing up in the 80s, I had Platoon, Hamburger Hill, Full Metal Jacket, First Blood and Apocalypse Now come out....the first "grown up" movies I saw. Then get I bit older and get the depth of detail from the upheavals of the time, it still fascinates. Plus: 'Nam kit is just cooler looking.

There's a big Vietnam Re enactment community over here
Well, thank you for that, DemonCase. Very surprising.
My father did two tours and I am a veteran of the Vietnam Era
though I did not serve in Vietnam. I'm still bitter.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

I only have about 20 Spydies and I am not really a collector unless you count someone who collects users to be a collector. All my knives are users, I don't have any safe queens or bnib knives. Going forward I will probably only get sprints or exclusives, unless a production knife just speaks to me *cough* blurple Yojimbo2 *cough*... that seem to have a great amount of utility to them.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Hi, good topic actually as I am starting from scratch now.

I had to sell my collection to be able to pay for school actually 2 times, to have something to eat (I remember times I was without food for whole week) and once to pay for surgery of my little sister. Sometimes live throws you something unexpectedly under your feet and you stumble.

When I started again few months ago with little salary and bought Endura ffg my friend lost her :-D so it didn´t went well. Now I have very good job and I am expecting my new Tasman Salt in few weeks so I will start again.

Spyderco is very addictive and you will fall in love with these critters, thing is sometimes you have to prioritize in your life and there are some things where even big love to your hobby can´t stand in way.

Start collecting and hope you will not get in such situations and you are safe, sometimes you will not have any other option but that happens.

Best ways how to sell spydies are some forums like bladeforums, edc forums etc. and then ebay etc. :-)

Stay safe ladies and gents.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I strive to be efficient and streamlined in most areas of my life, so I appreciate the need of some to trim their collections. But, my few Spydies are not going anywhere else than into my pocket, if I can help it! :)

I was fortunate to build a small but well rounded collection between 2011 and 2014, when economic times in South Africa were good. During 2015 ( and going forward I imagine, looking at current trends) I can simply cannot afford to import things in USD anymore. Our emerging market exchange rate is down the tubes because of the greed and stupidity of our politicians, and the effects of the current global economic downturn. I do not see our local situation improving any time soon. To give an example, I bought a M390 PM2 in 2012 for the same price as what a plain jane VG10 Delica would cost me locally today.

I am hanging on to what I have, and enjoying them to the full, because it would cost a fortune to replace them. They'll have to last a lifetime, which I am sure they will. :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

If I haven't include any folder in my EDC rotation for an year, I don't need it.
If I don't need any folder, I give it to a friend as a gift (of course, in exchange for small coin).
So, I make someone happy and feel free for another Spyderco.

Use small but useful herd (or wolf pack ;)).
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Featherblade wrote: Use small but useful herd (or wolf pack ;)).
This is pretty much myself as well. After buying and trying several great Spydercos over the years I have pretty much reduced my own "pack" to a few favorite steels in my three favorite and most used models. Keeps things simple that way, and I have sold or traded others as a way to then obtain more of my favorite three. There is always something new and tempting however so it's not easy. ;)
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

This is how I figured out how I can satisfy my urge to buy more Spyders without starting over. I have begun giving family and friends Spyders from my collection or buying Spyders for them. That way I can justify replacing knives in the collection for myself and buying knives for others that I might not want for myself.

For example, for Valentine's Day I bought this Pink Spyderco Native5, 43% off on Amazon

Lasts longer than flowers, won't make them fat. Have a good Valentine's Day weekend everyone.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Brilliant idea, Mad Mac! I like the "won't make them fat" part the most. :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

SpyderNut wrote:Brilliant idea, Mad Mac! I like the "won't make them fat" part the most. :p
And it won't take up as much room in the house as the Big Hunka Love Bear I bought one year.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Mad Mac wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:Brilliant idea, Mad Mac! I like the "won't make them fat" part the most. :p
And it won't take up as much room in the house as the Big Hunka Love Bear I bought one year.
LOL, my wife actually made me swear to NEVER buy her one of those huge bears. I think I might get one for her anyway and stick it in the driver's seat of her truck. :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

That is not a pic of a native5. ;) :cool:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

bearfacedkiller wrote:That is not a pic of a native5. ;) :cool:
Gosh. I wonder what I bought. The picture on Amazon is a Native Pink C41PN but the heading is Spyderco Native5 Plain Edge Pink Folding Knife with 2.95" Blade. Further down though the description says pink folding knife with a black FRN handle.

However, on RedsGear which is the actual seller, they have the same C41PN photo but list it as a C41PPN5 which looks like this.

My guess is the C41PN picture is wrong and that I will receive the C41PPN5. Whichever one I get, I'm keeping it unless it has a black handle. However, I am partial to discontinued models, a hollow grind and big swedges so I will be happier if it is the C41PN.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I am getting ready for my spring purge. Got to thin out the herd.