Manbug--Spydercos Most Awesome Knife!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Manbug--Spydercos Most Awesome Knife!

Post by Doc Dan »

Some of you may remember this thread: //forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=57638" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I still think the Manbug is the best pocket knife Spyderco makes. It is simply an awesome performer. It cuts like nobodies business. It thinks it is a large knife and acts like it. I have not skinned a deer (we can't hunt here) but I have used my Manbugs for all sorts of things I would normally use a larger knife for. I carry a Delica most of the time, but the Manbug is either with me, also, or within reach. I currently have the G10 (love it!) and a Superblue. Now that the HAP40 is about to come out, I am going to have to get one of those, too.

I was at a cookout and they had huge 1 1/2 inch thick steaks. A knife was needed and the kitchen knife they had was wimpy. So, out came the Manbug and it made short work of the steaks. One guy said, "Now, that's a knife!" I couldn't have agreed more.

Any Manbug love out there? Any Manbug stories?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Re: Manbug--Spydercos Most Awesome Knife!

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am a Ladyhawk fan myself but I must agree, I think I could cut a couch in half with one. They do work very well. I usually have a small knife like that with me for when I need to be as innocuous as possible. They weigh so little there really appears to be no reason not to just drop one in your pocket.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

It's definitely a winner. I wonder if we'll ever see the sheepsfoot version that Sal was talking about
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
AHahn20

Post by AHahn20 »

It is a perfect knife to carry as a college student! It doesn't scare anyone when I pull it out to open any packages and all of my friends are always surprised at how sharp it is and how well it cuts for being such a small knife! I will always carry one and just happened to pick one up in SB.

Maybe Ill have to look into the HAP40 Manbug now...
Favorite :spyder: 's: M390 Para 3, S90V Native 5, Manbug SB, USN Ladybug H1(x2)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, it is amazing. If I had the money I would get every variation. As much as I like the Ladybug, I like the Manbug better because of the blade shape and thickness. The G10 version with those wonderful bolsters is what got me interested in the Manbug in the first place. It is in my pocket now. I cut an apple and a papaya a while ago with it and then opened a bag of pretzels. Earlier I opened a plastic package without damaging what was inside.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
paladin

Post by paladin »

Doc Dan wrote: I was at a cookout and they had huge 1 1/2 inch thick steaks. A knife was needed and the kitchen knife they had was wimpy. So, out came the Manbug and it made short work of the steaks. One guy said, "Now, that's a knife!" I couldn't have agreed more.
and folks that guy's name was Paul Hogan, a.k.a. Michael "Crocodile" Dundee...true story :cool: ;)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I may have to try one. I have a Ladybug SS but I never carry it as it seems redundant (in size) to my SAK that I always have with me. The Dragonfly has been the smallest Spydie I actually use and carry. Just picked up a Spin, which is pretty cool, but will likely be the same story.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Surprisingly enough, Ive never owned a manbug nor a ladybug! I guess ill have to pick up an FRN to see if i like it! I know someone who has an SE manbug that he never uses. Maybe I can buy it off him or borrow it for a while to see if i like it. Sounds like an awesome knife to me!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:It's definitely a winner. I wonder if we'll ever see the sheepsfoot version that Sal was talking about
That's the best thing I've heard all day. :) Man, I love my Manbugs and Ladybugs. It would be awesome to see more variations on the Manbug platform (e.g. Sheepsfoot blade, Hawkbill, H1 version, more handle color options...) I just purchased another USN Ladybug last week. Love the small knives! Always easy to stow in a pocket and always ready for chores when I need it.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

I do have a VG10 and Superblue, love that micro knife but so capable !
I did used it for one year or more for an everyday used in a city job and it was perfect.
Waiting for the HAP40 Manbug and Dragonfly ! :)
Edit : Now I used to have one in the coins/condom/lighter pocket ! So small and lightweight that you really forget it until you need it. :)
Last edited by Nasgul on Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Manbug is my everyday shirt pocket piece,,this thread needs a pic :)

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

More of a Ladybug fan myself, but I do prefer how the Manbug feels in hand, I just greatly prefer the blade profile of the Ladybug and for my keys the Ladybug's thinner width is much better for me.

That said, I'm still holding my breath for wharnie/sheepsfoot/hawkbill versions and would love to see them all offered in H1/SE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Spyderco's little knives rock! I carry one all the time and they can do a lot of what you need a knife for. My Ladyhawk has done a ton of work in the garden. I am thinking about getting a HAP40 Manbug for my first Manbug. I would love to see a PE Sheepsfoot Manbug.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Digging the swap
Spydergirl88
bearfacedkiller

I hate coated blades but love, love, love black and yellow together. I wanted a plain edge Ladyhawk bad enough to buy a coated one and slapping it in my yellow handle made it very manageable. I love that thing.
-Darby
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I thought about swapping some of my ladybugs around to create a black se hawkbill with a pink handle but I probably won't. Pink and black is awesome though.
Spydergirl88
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Pic according to my previous post for those awesome little blades :cool:

:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Here's my take on the mighty Manbug...http://youtu.be/OFsLeBGrvPQ
- best wishes, Jazz.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Nasgul wrote:Pic according to my previous post for those awesome little blades :cool:

Hey Nasgul, I really like the paracord fobs you have there. Do you have a link or info on how to tie that particular pattern?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

They appear to be snake knot.
- best wishes, Jazz.