Mountain Biking

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Knivesinedc

Mountain Biking

Post by Knivesinedc »

Hey all. So I used to Trail ride a lot on a cheap Mongoose XR-75, but i stopped and haven't been riding for probably 3 years. I'm looking to get back into it, and seriously ride. Most likely by myself or with some friends on local hills and mtb trails. Most of my friends are riding Diamondback sorrentos or the like. I need bike recommendations. I currently have a budget of $250 which, yes, is not a lot. Provided I can sell all my old airsoft gear, I could probably have a budget of $850. I really like the specialized Rockhopper sport, but I'm open to suggestions. Any input as to a good mountain bike in that price range would be great. I'm looking for a Hardtail, 4 inch travel fork, and preferably 29 or 27.5 in wheels. 8 speed or above preffered. I am 6'1 and 156 lbs if that helps at all. Thanks!
DRKBC

Re: Mountain Biking

Post by DRKBC »

I think you are on the right track with Specialized. I have ridden a lot of different bikes over the years but my last 4 bikes have all been Specialized.
I have a couple of thoughts:

- would you consider of used?
- Do you ever go on Pink Bike?

I rarely buy new, in fact I don't. There are so many bikes collecting dust out there that I really feel it is the way to go. As far as which model, I would consider a used Stumpjumper. In Specialized line up I have owned a Rockhopper hardtail as well as 2 Enduros and am currently on a Stumpjumper EVO and have a Demo for downhill. To me it is an amazing bike quicker than an Enduro on the way up and loads of fun on the way down. Mine is full suspension but the whole Stumpjumper line is fantastic. I think you would be amazed at how quick, nimble and capable Stumpy's are, and if you go used they are definitely in your price range.

One other thing I will say is if you haven't ridden a twenty niner and you have the opportunity to, definitely do that. For me I found the big wheels gave the bike a tall and kind of slow to get going feel compared to the same bike with smaller wheels. I also prefer smaller wheels on the downhill. But that is certainly a personal preference so if you could demo a 29'er and 27.5 that would be a good thing. I also wouldn't rule out a 26 if you find the right bike. Here is an example of a used bike on Pinkbike. Maybe poke around a little on there if you have some time.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1798921/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Specialized's website has a great Archive section, if you are looking for information and specs of a bike from a particular year it is really handy

http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bikes/ ... /2013/sjht" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that is of some help.
Last edited by DRKBC on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What frame material do you personally find to be the best for a hard-use mountain bike? I have seen new model carbon fiber versions in the 900-1200 dollar plus cost range.

Interesting REI article on this:

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ ... rials.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

IMHO anyway, I have ridden Chromoly, aluminum and carbon fibre and to me aluminum and carbon fibre are the best for mountain biking. Steel is too heavy while the other two are light, strong and responsive. Currently I have a downhill specific bike in Aluminum, mostly because of cost and the fact that aluminum tends to take a lot of abuse. At least if one is to make rapid contact with the earth on an aluminum bike although it may dent, it won't be a total right off. I am sure if I had tons of cash I would have a carbon downhill bike but at present I would be too afraid to wreck it ... but I bet it would be fun :-) My downhill bike weighs about 40 lbs but as you don't have to pedal a lot uphill in downhill, its not a huge issue, for me anyway. It is an amazingly fun, forgiving and solid bike.

For my trail bike I have a full carbon bike, it weighs 29 pounds with full 6" inches of suspension front and back, it is light and stiff and very responsive. It is a great climber and great descender it really does do it all, and do it well. But that said I have ridden the same bike in aluminum and it is no slouch and definitely more budget friendly.

Carbon Fibre is definitely getting more affordable and it is stronger than steel, doesn't oxidize or fatigue as much, even has some dampening characteristics, it's pretty amazing stuff but if you break it - it's a bit of bummer.

Aluminum is as stiff as steel but lighter, rigid can be repaired and is available at a reasonable price. Where aluminum can bend or dent carbon can shatter or snap. However all that said the only frame I have ever had snap was aluminum, the top tube broke off at the weld where it connected to the head tube. Still, that isn't really that common certainly not anymore as frame builders get more clever about geometry and identifying where the stress points are in the frame.

Hope that helps.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

DRKBC wrote:IMHO anyway, I have ridden Chromoly, aluminum and carbon fibre and to me aluminum and carbon fibre are the best for mountain biking. Steel is too heavy while the other two are light, strong and responsive. Currently I have a downhill specific bike in Aluminum, mostly because of cost and the fact that aluminum tends to take a lot of abuse. At least if one is to make rapid contact with the earth on an aluminum bike although it may dent, it won't be a total right off. I am sure if I had tons of cash I would have a carbon downhill bike but at present I would be too afraid to wreck it ... but I bet it would be fun :-) My downhill bike weighs about 40 lbs but as you don't have to pedal a lot uphill in downhill, its not a huge issue, for me anyway. It is an amazingly fun, forgiving and solid bike.

For my trail bike I have a full carbon bike, it weighs 29 pounds with full 6" inches of suspension front and back, it is light and stiff and very responsive. It is a great climber and great descender it really does do it all, and do it well. But that said I have ridden the same bike in aluminum and it is no slouch and definitely more budget friendly.

Carbon Fibre is definitely getting more affordable and it is stronger than steel, doesn't oxidize or fatigue as much, even has some dampening characteristics, it's pretty amazing stuff but if you break it - it's a bit of bummer.

Aluminum is as stiff as steel but lighter, rigid can be repaired and is available at a reasonable price. Where aluminum can bend or dent carbon can shatter or snap. However all that said the only frame I have ever had snap was aluminum, the top tube broke off at the weld where it connected to the head tube. Still, that isn't really that common certainly not anymore as frame builders get more clever about geometry and identifying where the stress points are in the frame.

Hope that helps.
So, I was browsing Amazon and happened to find a Diamondback bike on sale. Since more than about 400 bucks is a little too much right now, I went with it. It's the diamondback Sorrento and I think I paid $375 for it. It's a hardtail with an Aluminum frame and an 80 or 100mm fork. I forget which. "Vee" brakes on it, no discs unfortunately but I can do without them. 27.5 inch wheels on it. We'll see how it goes. Since I never rode seriously, I hope this is a good entry level and I didn't screw up big time...
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Go used. I bought a Specialized Stump Jumper Comp back in college used off of a dealer for about $400 (around 1992). The frame is still outstanding. I think if you are patient and look around on Craig's List you can take your pick of some decent deals.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

[quote="Knivesinedc]
DRKBC wrote:So, I was browsing Amazon and happened to find a Diamondback bike on sale. Since more than about 400 bucks is a little too much right now, I went with it. It's the diamondback Sorrento and I think I paid $375 for it. It's a hardtail with an Aluminum frame and an 80 or 100mm fork. I forget which. "Vee" brakes on it, no discs unfortunately but I can do without them. 27.5 inch wheels on it. We'll see how it goes. Since I never rode seriously, I hope this is a good entry level and I didn't screw up big time...
I wouldn't say you made a horrific mistake, you get a lot for your money these days in the biking world. This will get you back out on the bike and give you an idea of whether or not the sport is of any interest for you. V brakes have lots of stopping power, the gears will shift and the cranks will spin in circles. If after a riding for a while you feel like you are going to stick with it, you will likely be able to sell the bike for a couple hundred bucks and upgrade and at least then you will know if its for you. It would be great if you would give your impressions once you have gone out for your first ride, I have a passion for cycling always great to hear others getting involved.

One thing I will say though is sometimes in this price range you can find the same deal at a bike shop. The shop will often add value by giving you a free tune-up that type of thing and you will establish a rapport with them, which is a valuable thing to have in mountain biking. The other plus is you can ride a few models and sometimes they have some good deals on last years models that type of thing. So if it isn't too late I might go that route.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I used to take fat bike everywhere before I got sick Image
Gravity Deadeye Monster

Its inside staying warm now.

Hopefully I can rip up some more snow before this winter is over. Sucks.

I really miss it. It was a good time to get my thoughts together.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

DRKBC wrote:[quote="Knivesinedc]
DRKBC wrote:So, I was browsing Amazon and happened to find a Diamondback bike on sale. Since more than about 400 bucks is a little too much right now, I went with it. It's the diamondback Sorrento and I think I paid $375 for it. It's a hardtail with an Aluminum frame and an 80 or 100mm fork. I forget which. "Vee" brakes on it, no discs unfortunately but I can do without them. 27.5 inch wheels on it. We'll see how it goes. Since I never rode seriously, I hope this is a good entry level and I didn't screw up big time...
I wouldn't say you made a horrific mistake, you get a lot for your money these days in the biking world. This will get you back out on the bike and give you an idea of whether or not the sport is of any interest for you. V brakes have lots of stopping power, the gears will shift and the cranks will spin in circles. If after a riding for a while you feel like you are going to stick with it, you will likely be able to sell the bike for a couple hundred bucks and upgrade and at least then you will know if its for you. It would be great if you would give your impressions once you have gone out for your first ride, I have a passion for cycling always great to hear others getting involved.

One thing I will say though is sometimes in this price range you can find the same deal at a bike shop. The shop will often add value by giving you a free tune-up that type of thing and you will establish a rapport with them, which is a valuable thing to have in mountain biking. The other plus is you can ride a few models and sometimes they have some good deals on last years models that type of thing. So if it isn't too late I might go that route.
I will definitely give you all my first impressions asap. It's got a top of the mid grade shimano derailleur and I forget what cranks. All fairly good quality stuff. I had checked out my local bike shop before and the cheapest they had was the Specialized Rockhopper standard at $675. That's most likely what I'll go to next.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Test ride a fat bike. I'd own a Surly if I didn't already have so many bikes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Evil D wrote:Test ride a fat bike. I'd own a Surly if I didn't already have so many bikes.

I had to go cheap on mine.

I'd own a Framed Minnesota 3.0 if I had the budget.

Here's a like to my baby.

One day http://www.framedbikes.com/mn3-xwt-bluto/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Knivesinedc wrote:
DRKBC wrote:[quote="Knivesinedc]

I will definitely give you all my first impressions asap. It's got a top of the mid grade shimano derailleur and I forget what cranks. All fairly good quality stuff. I had checked out my local bike shop before and the cheapest they had was the Specialized Rockhopper standard at $675. That's most likely what I'll go to next.
I am jealous the snow is still flying here, skiing is great by I am getting the itch to ride again. I bought a rode bike again this year (I sold my old one last season and shouldn't have) so that means I will be able to get out a little earlier. We have had a lot of snow in the mountains this year and I think it may take a while to clear out on the trails. Have fun on the new bike!
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

DRKBC wrote: I am jealous the snow is still flying here, skiing is great by I am getting the itch to ride again. I bought a rode bike again this year (I sold my old one last season and shouldn't have) so that means I will be able to get out a little earlier. We have had a lot of snow in the mountains this year and I think it may take a while to clear out on the trails. Have fun on the new bike!
I definitely will! Should be coming in friday! I'll be taking it in, once I get the initial setup done, to my local bike shop to have it professionally tuned so I can get the most out of it. I'll give my initial impressions on the bike itself when I get it together and my thoughts on how it rides when it gets tuned up. :D
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

That's exciting. I have a new road bike that's coming Friday as well so I am also watching for the postman. Sadly It will be a couple more months here before I can hit the pavement. Maybe my wife will let me keep it in the living room.

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

That's a nice bike!

Man did you hear about the death of McGazza?

http://features.bikemag.com/Kelly/3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.examiner.com/article/freerid ... asses-away" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:That's a nice bike!

Man did you hear about the death of McGazza?

http://features.bikemag.com/Kelly/3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.examiner.com/article/freerid ... asses-away" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I did, heart attack at 33 man ... very sad, he was so well liked what a huge loss to his family and the MTB community. I had friend go at a very young age in similar circumstances, he was playing hockey when he suddenly had a heart attack and subsequently he died. When they investigated further they found that he had the heart of a very old man. He was always an athlete and everyone including his fiancé was shocked, just some disease that caused premature aging of the heart that apparently he nor know one else new about. I guess you never know when your times up, better to make the most of it while you are here.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

DRKBC wrote:That's exciting. I have a new road bike that's coming Friday as well so I am also watching for the postman. Sadly It will be a couple more months here before I can hit the pavement. Maybe my wife will let me keep it in the living room.

Beautiful Bike! How much did she suck out of ya? ;) Here in CA, its bike weather all year round :D Not a fan of Californias knife and gun laws though :(
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Knivesinedc wrote:
DRKBC wrote:That's exciting. I have a new road bike that's coming Friday as well so I am also watching for the postman. Sadly It will be a couple more months here before I can hit the pavement. Maybe my wife will let me keep it in the living room.

Beautiful Bike! How much did she suck out of ya? ;) Here in CA, its bike weather all year round :D Not a fan of Californias knife and gun laws though :(
Thanks! I am pretty stoked. I sold my road bike the season before last and really missed it. This one Didn't set me back a lot, I bought it used it is 2009 but wasn't ridden a lot. Its full carbon, dura-ace groupo and cost about $1500 Canadian so approximately $1000 US$. Yes sadly we don't have a California climate here that's for sure, but we can entertain ourselves with skiing etc. in the winter and in away it is a nice break. Our riding season ends in October and usually kicks off again in April, by then I am chomping at the bit to get back on the bike.
Last edited by DRKBC on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gac

Post by gac »

Southern Wisconsin is Trek central and my wife and I bought a 29" X-Caliber 8 for my son last summer. We paid a bit over $900 after shopping around. My son immediately wanted to add all sorts of upgrades and doo-dads but we bought the 8 because it would be more durable and we are not going to drop thousands of dollars on the really nice models.

I heard a lot of good things about Giant bikes. We have a couple Giant street bikes that are nice. One Madison shop only sold Giant because - said the guy working there - Giant was the best bang for the buck of any brand.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

gac wrote:Southern Wisconsin is Trek central and my wife and I bought a 29" X-Caliber 8 for my son last summer. We paid a bit over $900 after shopping around. My son immediately wanted to add all sorts of upgrades and doo-dads but we bought the 8 because it would be more durable and we are not going to drop thousands of dollars on the really nice models.

I heard a lot of good things about Giant bikes. We have a couple Giant street bikes that are nice. One Madison shop only sold Giant because - said the guy working there - Giant was the best bang for the buck of any brand.
I haven't ridden a Trek bike yet but have heard a lot of great things about them. This will be my first Giant and this model has received some really good reviews so should be interesting. Giant is now the worlds largest bicycle manufacturer and they do pretty much everything in house as far as the frames are concerned, which seems to have given them a bit of a edge in R&D and pricing.