The Big Three

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpydyLover1234

Re: The Big Three

Post by SpydyLover1234 »

1) delica
2) full stainless police
3)schemp rock
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

This was harder than I thought. So many knives must be left behind!

1) Chaparral
2) GB1
3) Non Spydie :( Maybe a Bradley Bowie purchase is in my future :)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

If cost was irrelevant, my candidates would be:

1. Dragonfly 2 HAP40
2. Gayle Bradley 2
3. Serrata or Proficient- although the cast 440C's dendritic structure is a big factor, I like the form factors of the Proficient a bit better.

Doesn't hurt to dream.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Delica
PM
Street Bowie
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

MichaelScott wrote:If cost was irrelevant, my candidates would be:

1. Dragonfly 2 HAP40
2. Gayle Bradley 2
3. Serrata or Proficient- although the cast 440C's dendritic structure is a big factor, I like the form factors of the Proficient a bit better.

Doesn't hurt to dream.
In the previous 3 knife thread, you had listed Chaparral, GB2, and Bradley Bowie :)
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

For a small knife right now for me there is only the HAP 40 Delica. I have no idea why I waited so long to get a Delica but it has my attention like nothing since the Military that started my love of all things Spyderco.

Thin grind and the steel is so easy to make razor sharp. Handle ergonomics that you all are probably already very aware of. Just goodness.

For large folder most of you already know my answer. Cruwear Military all day everyday.

Hmm a fixed blade of I am lost in the woods. Do they make one with GPS or a Sat phone built into it?

If not and supposing I was lost in the woods without my usual and more then capable Military clipped to my pocket I suppose the Southfork would work.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Small folder: Techno in CPM-XHP (but if my only knife could be a small folder, then my G10 DF2 in VG-10)

Large folder: PM2 in CTS-204P (but if my only knife could be a large folder, then my Manix2 in M4)

Fixed-blade: No Spyderco here because of superfluous hole (don't like flippers either). Instead, I favor my ESEE-6 in 1095 and my LT Wright Knives GNS (saber-grind) in O-1.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Holland

Post by Holland »

I be happy with:

Chaparral 1
Gayle bradley 1
Bradley bowie

But would also be happy with

Dragonfly salt se
Delica Hap40
Sprig
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

hoimin wrote:
MichaelScott wrote:If cost was irrelevant, my candidates would be:

1. Dragonfly 2 HAP40
2. Gayle Bradley 2

Doesn't hurt to dream.
In the previous 3 knife thread, you had listed Chaparral, GB2, and Bradley Bowie :)
I like the ergonomics and FRN of the DF2, and with HAP40, it will likely be a better cutter for longer.
I changed my mind about the Bowie. The Serrata and the Proficient are a toss up.
I might change my mind again. That's the fun in dreaming. I don't have to make a decision now.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Small: Para2

EDC: Endura

Fixed blade: My Tarzan knives are all Busse, but I'm very fond of my M4 Mule.
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

3" - TBD*
4" - Military Left Hand
5" - Street Bowie
----
* UKPK Ti, Mantra, or Minuteman (PM3)
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C41 Native 5 | Never Summer/NFFF
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is a very interesting concept he raises. But in a way it's a tough one for me because I have multiple candidates for those slots.

(1) It's a draw between the Burgundy ZDP-189 Caly Jr. and the Burgundy ZDP-189 Jess Horn

(2) It's a draw again between both my beloved C-60 Sprint G-10 Ayoob model and my overused M390 MILITARY model

(3) It's a close call in this category as well>> between my much loved, original FB05 TEMPERANCE 1 model ( PE & SE) and STREETBEAT.

And that's about as much as I can narrow it down between those different sectors of user blades. Actually I think the CHINOOK III goes in between the 1 & 2 slots. And I'm not even factoring in anything out of the H-1 Salt Series as well all know that entire sector are hard working USER blades.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

1. Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189
2. Gayle Bradley 2
3. Gayle Bradley Bowie
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

It would look like something like this...

1. Manbug/Ladybug
2. Slysz Bowie/Lil' Lionspy
3. Moran
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I will participate!

1. Techno. Maybe Slysz Bowie, but I think that's a bit bigger than the intent of this category. This is hard because there are a bunch of knives I'd consider relatively small that could handle daily chores (also, Delica, Lil Lionspy, PM2). But for me I'd choose the Techno. I just love that little guy!

2. This is much easier. Military. Which version? Well, that's slightly harder, but the Military is definitely the model I'd go for. For me, I'd take my beloved CPM D2 model which I rescued from eBay (link to old thread: //forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=65839" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.) Cruwear makes a strong case, but I've grown more fond of my D2 model. The upcoming KW 204P version could trump though. We'll see (hopefully I'm fortunate enough to get one).

3. Probably Bradley Bowie or possibly Temp 2. Both look ideal sized with exceptional handles. I don't own either model though. My prime fixed blades that might be best in this role are not Spydies and I wouldn't select either one of my Mules or the Aqua Salt.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Kiwi
Southard
Warrior
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
RexGig0

Post by RexGig0 »

MichaelScott wrote:It would be interesting and enlightening to read comments on what you would consider to be the "big three" Spyderco knives, one knife per category.

As a user, I am focused on three categories of knives, 1. small folder for everyday tasks, 2. large folder as both an EDC/task and for those times you want or think you might need a folder with a significantly larger or longer blade, and, 3. that all-around fixed blade you would want if you actually got seriously lost in the woods.
OK, using your criteria, and replying only with Spyderco products that I own:

1. Military, any version/steel. The Mili is plenty small enough.

2. Military, any version/steel. If I need larger or stronger than the Mili, I will use a fixed blade.

3. Temperance, either fixed-blade version. I really do like the Temperance; its handle is perfect for me. I actually use a Ronin much more often, but the Ronin's handle is a bit small for a woods/field/camp knife.

Notably, my actual daily carry, never rotating with anything else, is an Assist. I tend to use a couple of Swiss Army knives for more actual daily tasks, except for the times the Assist's blunt tip seems best-suited. For going into the woods far enough to get lost, a Gransfors Bruks hatchet or a Chris Caine Survival Tool, by Scorpion Knives, teamed with the smaller blades, would be my preference.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Dragonfly 2 ZDP
Manix 2 LW s110v
Sprig
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

For me personally
Dragonfly G10
Military
Aqua Salt

Honestly, I could do with the Aqua Salt by itself. fantastic knife, fantastic blade shape, great ergo's. Nothing but love for the Aqua salt.
SouthernCross

Post by SouthernCross »

To the OP

I'm willing to contribute, but the criteria you set at the start ( 2 folders and only one fixed blade) has excluded me.

Mick