Show your Mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
dubya3

Re: Show your Mule

Post by dubya3 »

farnorthdan wrote:I think it looks good Niles, should make a real nice work knife. You could always pick up a 2nd and give it another go.

Agreed, it looks good. Nice work!
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

dubya3 wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:I think it looks good Niles, should make a real nice work knife. You could always pick up a 2nd and give it another go.

Agreed, it looks good. Nice work!
I'm no expert on the subject, but it looks great to me as is.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

Finally learned how to post pics! Ive "handled" 6 mules to date and I get some more pics up soon. Heres one that I already had pictures of. Scales are Honduran Rosewood (choose this wood after seeing Black Beards desk in a museum made from the same wood) Image
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Thats beautiful Niallriv, looks like it would be very ergonomic in hand.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

:D Thank you Farnorthdan! Every one I make, I learn a little more from. This one, in my hand, honestly feels a little thin during prolonged use.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Just got it all set-up and ready to use!
New sheath from glockcrazz, with a Spyderco G-clip. Nice & small footprint and great retention.
Halpern 5 scales in FG.

Last edited by SpeedHoles on Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Going back to Caly.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

That looks real nice speed, that sheath rocks, need to pick a couple of those up.

Here is my latest MT, SB and its hair splitting sharp right from the box...

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

farnorthdan wrote:That looks real nice speed, that sheath rocks, need to pick a couple of those up.

Here is my latest MT, SB and its hair splitting sharp right from the box...

Thanks!

I'm getting ready to order another of these sheaths in orange that I'll use with this FG/4V, then swap this grey to use with my SB Mule. :)
Going back to Caly.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I like that plan, should match the caly 3 & 3.5 scales nicely.

phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Wow, NiallRiv! Beautiful stuff. I love that H.Rosewood burl. It is almost impossible to find these days in boards of larger size. When you do find it, the dealers want an arm and a let for it. It really makes the knife, though - the swirling grain is wonderful.

I also love your contouring. Nice work. Looks like it would be very comfortable in hand.

Cheers!
TedP
BTG

Post by BTG »

NiallRiv wrote:Finally learned how to post pics! Ive "handled" 6 mules to date and I get some more pics up soon. Heres one that I already had pictures of. Scales are Honduran Rosewood (choose this wood after seeing Black Beards desk in a museum made from the same wood) Image
Very cool....what did you use to bring that shine back after all the contouring, just finished some Burlwood ones, and look great when wet, but chalky when dry...first attempt ..don't know, oil ? sealer ? buff with dremel, I don't know what works.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Try Danish oil & wet sand from 220 up through 800 grit paper. Wipe each coat & let dry completely before changing grits. After the 800 is dry, use a small amount of oil & rub it into the wood, wipe it off, let it dry & then do again. Takes a lot of time but gives a nice, deep finish. The oil fills in the small scratches & gives a sheen, but don't let it dry gummy or wet. Needs to be wiped off & completely dry between coats to look good.
elmeringalo

Post by elmeringalo »

mules3.JPG
My mules, by the moment
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Here's my Mule 21 with the new handle and sheath I made for it.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Train

Post by Train »

Xplorer wrote:Here's my Mule 21 with the new handle and sheath I made for it.
Very good job! I like how all the parts fit together and it goes very well with the sheath.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Train wrote:
Xplorer wrote:Here's my Mule 21 with the new handle and sheath I made for it.
Very good job! I like how all the parts fit together and it goes very well with the sheath.
Thank you Train, I appreciate the kind words! :)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Train

Post by Train »

Here is another Mule that I have completed. I guess it was seven years between the first Mule and this one!
It is MT19 with PSF27 on the blade and briar/cocobolo on the handle.

jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

That's a beautiful Mule, Train. I like the contrast between the two woods you used on the PSF27. That single mosaic pin looks classy as well.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

BTG wrote:
NiallRiv wrote:Finally learned how to post pics! Ive "handled" 6 mules to date and I get some more pics up soon. Heres one that I already had pictures of. Scales are Honduran Rosewood (choose this wood after seeing Black Beards desk in a museum made from the same wood) Image
Very cool....what did you use to bring that shine back after all the contouring, just finished some Burlwood ones, and look great when wet, but chalky when dry...first attempt ..don't know, oil ? sealer ? buff with dremel, I don't know what works.
I sanded through 1500 I believe and then did maybe 10-15 coats of Tru-Oil dunked in a jar, with a light sanding with 0000 steel wool every 3-4 coats. Finished with a couple vigorous renaissance waxings.
Train

Post by Train »

Just finished the next one. You only need to get me going....
This one is still the same MT19 with SPF27 with pieces of bubinga and olive on the handle. Actually picked some left-overs from another project I just could not bring myself to throw away. Thus that shape: had to spend a bit more time fitting the pieces together. And there some small cracks in the olive that came up close to the end: that's a wood burl for you! That of course has no affect on the integrity and using the knife - filled it with superglue anyway to prevent any dirt accumulation.

Thank you for looking!