Starting over?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Starting over?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm just curious if anyone here has ever hit the reset button by selling off their entire collection? If so, why? I find myself more excited than ever about what Spyderco is releasing that I'm becoming less interested in what came before. Freeing up room and money by getting rid of the old stuff is making a lot of sense to me right now. Maybe, I hit my head or something, I can't believe I'm writing this. Thoughts?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
jmh58

Re: Starting over?

Post by jmh58 »

Well.. I have never sold all and started over.. But.. I have walked away/slowed down a time or two.. I would nix the idea of selling off the old though.. Seems they hold their value!! Sooo. Unless ya gotta I wouldn't do it!!

Just keep buying!!!! :D John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I tend to agree with John, finding disco'd pieces is a real pain and very expensive I've found. Maybe just take a break for a while and save your money until the ones you really want drop.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That's good advice, but I've sold off most of my old stuff to buy new stuff already. My collection now is mainly made up of Para 2's, UKPK's and flippers.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I don't have a "collection" but I do sell some Spyderco knives in order to buy different ones. I'm looking for my best four: folders - small, medium, large; fixed - one all-around woods and game knife.

I would sell one of those to fund another, better knife in its category.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I am not a collector but in one year's time I had owned 30 plus different spydies. I sold the ones I didn't like out of necessity often and then found I didn't need all these knives since they were all users or most of them users. Right now I have around 13 and I already feel it's getting to be too many. I guess it's never been about the money to me but about the feel in the hand, the grip and the grind, the shape and the sharpness.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
vivi

Post by vivi »

I did.

I had over 80 Spydercos at one point. Lil Temps, ATR's, S90V/CPMD2/S60V/S30V Millies, Forester, tip up wire clip Para 1, ZPD calys and much, much more.

I sold off everything except for knives I had an immediate use for or had sentimental value.

I kept my Police 3 I bought at New Graham on a road trip through VA. It was one of my favorite folders and had sentimental value for a few reasons. It was my dressier pocket knife.

I kept a CPMD2/digicamo Military that I've since lost. It was my go to EDC.

Kept a SE Tasman Salt as my skateboard griptape knife, and general glove box dirty job knife.

Pacific Salt PE as my summer EDC. CPMD2 doesn't interact well with sweat, and I frequently carry IWB, so the Pacific Salt was my go to summer EDC before I bought a coated Para 2 that I'd carry year round.

Kept an Aqua Salt for camping/hiking use + sentimental value.

I also bought a Perrin Street Bowie when they brought it back to production, because I enjoyed the design of the Street Beat and never got to handle the original. I really like the design, but don't really have a use for it and will most likely sell it one of these days.

That was all I kept. I've since added a Para 2 and plan to replace the lost Military, then after that I'm about done.

I'll still keep my eyes open for a Military 2 or ATR revival though. Both of those could potentially interest me ebough for become my new EDC. But as much as I admire different designs they make each year, very few folders they make compete with the Military for comfort, ease of use and light weight. None compete with the Pacific Salt for its practicality, rust proof qualities, and incredible size/weight ratio. None of the fixed blades would serve my use better then the Aqua Salt.

I don't have any interest in collecting anymore. It feels like a waste of time and money to me. But I still love Spydercos and keep one in my pocket every day. I only buy knives I plan to use, and I can only use so many, so my collection remains small.
Last edited by vivi on Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I like the idea of starting with a clean slate, but none of my Spydercos are in mint enough condition to have much worthwhile resale value.

Instead I'll just keep putting them to use, and consider some of my impulse buys as a learning experience. Luckily I don't regret any of my Spyderco purchases, the same cant be said for other brands.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

At this point, if I still own it, I will most likely always own it. I keep my herd pretty thin as it is, and even though some don't get used as much as they used to, they aren't going anywhere unless something pushes my hand. It's an easy temptation to sell off hobbies to fund other hobbies (or extend the current one) but those knives are paid for and aren't costing me anything, it makes more sense to me to just budget my money and save up if needed to get the new models I really want.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I'm not consider myself a collector,but i sold some to buy some...however i never go all out.I think i will never sell my Dragonfly,Delica,Endura and Street Beat.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
SpydyLover1234

Post by SpydyLover1234 »

I am not the type to sell knives in fact I never have. I think that the only time that I would sell a knife would be if I just hated it but luckily I love all my knives.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I had a very impressive Spyderco collection over 10 years ago. I sold it all and headed into more customs. I still owned and used Spyderco for the last 10 years just let my collection go.

Had an amazing Busse collection let that go.

Then I had an amazing Strider collection. Let that go. Have an SnG left.

Then had a good sized Mad Dog Collection. Let that go.

I have had a lot of Dave Becks over the years.

I now collect Spydercos again. Have a small but growing collection.

I have a small collection of early Busse Knives.

I still have Some Dave Becks and a handful of custom knives.

I am going forward really only looking for super old rarer Spydercos and picking up some of the new ones to play with. Plus I am only looking to get real good deals so it slows down the process. I feel that I will continue to collect Spydercos in the years to come.

My point being buy what interests you and sell what doesn't.

When I got back into Spydercos the first knife I wanted to get back that I had sold was a 25th Anni Delica. I always regretted selling that knife. One popped up a week later for 300 dollars and it was like meant to be. So any knife you sell probably can be found again.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Vivi wrote:I don't have any interest in collecting anymore. It feels like a waste of time and money to me. But I still love Spydercos and keep one in my pocket every day. I only buy knives I plan to use, and I can only use so many, so my collection remains small.
I'm with Vivi. I'm in the process of thinning the herd and keeping only those I will use. For me it's not an issue of money; rather its getting to know and learning how to use the "tools" I have better.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I'm with Liquid Cobra in that I have reached a turning point in what I use and carry. I have been back pocket carrying various of my Mules of late and find that I prefer them over the folders I once swore I'd never give up. I now carry one of my various Chaparrals in my pocket along with a Mule and I am finding that combination takes care of all my needs very well. Of course YMMV.

This change in direction has left me with several new in the box Militaries and Sages that I had as pre-need backups that are now up for adoption, some of which are Sprints and/or Dealer Exclusives. What I would really like to see is a nice Spyderco gathering of all of us Forumites for not only a fun get together event but also for a buy-sell-trade session amongst ourselves. Surely there must be a nice hotel in or near Golden, (central US location), where such an event could be held and perhaps a visit to the SFO could be included in the festivities. Anyone else like this idea, or no? This might be a way to find good homes for some great knives that several of us seem to have an excess of according to this Topic. :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I am a hoarder. :D In almost 15 years of buying Spyderco knives, I've never sold one. Not even the models I was less-than-wild about. However, I've gifted several Spydercos over the years to family and friends and I've traded one model. My knife purchasing has slowed tremendously in the past year. (I think I only bought or received six or seven knives in 2015). At this point, I only buy what I need and/or really want. This helps me maintain financially. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

I've actually done this before. I somewhat regretted it afterwards, and if you're going to continue buying knives after you reset your collection I wouldn't recommend doing it.

There are knives that I sold that I'll never get back, and I just have to deal with that. It's not a huge deal, but still.

Now, if you plan on getting out of knives entirely then by all means, go ahead
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I did that with my record collection, thinking that I was "over" all the music I had acquired up until my early 20s... Man what a mistake that was! There are still a few albums that I haven't been able to replace and many of those albums I thought I was bored with are still favorites today.

If there are a few dupes or knives that never really clicked, maybe sell those off, but if one was ever a favorite or spent lots of time in your pocket, then I'd keep it, if you can afford to.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

This topic has been on my mind for the last couple of years. I've been amassing my collection for years and have a real interest in the early year Spydercos. I still read the forum at least once a day, jump through the BF exchange site a couple of times a week, and scan Ebay for the collectors I still would like to grab. My pile of knives now reside in my safe with little fondling or sunlight ever glinting off of their blades. My addiction was fierce years ago with the Q being the knife that really intrigued me. Rarity and prices of late have put me off of that hunt, though surprisingly many rare Q's have been showing up lately. As so many of us have learned Spyderco and Lays potato chips have way too much in common, so Q's couldn't be the only knives I had to have. I'm on the fence though leaning toward selling all or most.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am in the opposite boat as you. I am getting less and less interested in Spyderco's newest offerings. It honestly makes me feel old. Darn kids and their flippers. Lol. :) I also love Spyderco's in house designs best so all the collabs are pretty iffy for me. I own mostly Sprints and Exclusives and they are all users. My buying has also slowed way down. I am interested in the Shaman and Minuteman but most the flippers and collabs don't float my boat. TI framelocks aren't really my preference either. Spyderco will continue to make more knives that I want and either don't need or can't afford so I am certainly not complaining but based on the current trends in the knife world I am gonna hang onto what I have and add a few key pieces here and there.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

I lost all my knives in a home burglary...

One day I saw a ladybug hawkbill after the sprint was done and gone...

I had to have it and the rest is spydie addiction history, I'm now back up to 100+ Spydies.