Warranty denial?? Shocked....great outcome!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
palonej

Warranty denial?? Shocked....great outcome!!

Post by palonej »

Hey guys.
Got a brand new Ti Millie the first week of December. Carried it for a day then on the shelf it went.....too new to use yet.
Carried it right after New Year and started flicking a bit. Noticed something strange....up and down play. Hmmmmm. Checked it out and noticed the lock face was not coming into contact with the blade. If I pushed the lock bar further in and made contact it was tight.
The only way to do away with said play was to tighten pivot...very tight.
Spydie warranty got the knife 1/6.
This knife never cut anything other than phone book paper. It was never dropped or abused.
Just got a letter stating there are no manufacturer defects, but for $25 they can repair my knife.......a brand new un used $250 knife??
Why no e mail or phone call? Wasted 2 weeks by snail mailing.
Am I nuts here?
Thoughts please?
Thanks
Joe
Last edited by palonej on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpyderNut

Re: Warranty denial?? Shocked!

Post by SpyderNut »

Hmm. That does seem strange. Did the letter describe or specify the issue and what would need to be done in order to fix the issue? In any event, I would personally likely eat the $25 repair fee and have the knife in working condition--especially on a knife that nice.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

What your saying is the lock bar is not properly locking up the blade? Correct.

If that is the case I think Spyderco should warranty it, as it is a safety issue.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Thanks for the reply Mike. No mention of what is wrong at all.
Just shocks me because the knife was NEVER used at all. I put that in the note also...along with phone number and e mail addy. Why a letter that took 10 days to arrive?
Spending another $25 doesn't sound like a bad idea.....but I would rather stick needles in my ears bro.
First off I'd like to know what the issue is.
Second would be how it happened.
As I said.....the knife is brand new and never cut anything. It was in my pocket for a couple of hours.
Just a touch aggravated at this point.
Joe

Archimedes.....lock bar is not moving over enough to contact tang. When the knife is flicked the lock bar actually vibrates like a tuning fork. When in the open position there is a space between lock face and tang.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I think they need to reevaluate there thoughts.

It's a manufacturer error
palonej

Post by palonej »

Exactly what I'm thinking JA. And hoping.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi palonej,
Sorry to hear of your disappointment. We are training someone new in W&R to help Charlynn. It's possible that there was a misunderstanding. Would you be willing to send it in again for review? Please send it to my attention (Kristi Hunter), instead of W&R. Please be sure to include your contact information (phone, address and e-mail address). I'm out for SHOT Show until next week, but I'd be happy to take a look at it and review it with our crew.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

There you go Joe, an answer from Taz within slightly more than an hour on a holiday evening right before she and the crew leaves on a week-long trip, need I say more? I'm sure it will all work out now for sure (after they get back ;))! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

No problem, Joe. Kristi will take good care of this. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:There you go Joe, an answer from Taz within slightly more than an hour on a holiday evening right before she and the crew leaves on a week-long trip, need I say more? I'm sure it will all work out now for sure (after they get back ;))! Cheers, Radioactive :)

;) Thanks for the kind words. SHOT starts tomorrow. I've actually been here (in Vegas) since Thursday for setup. All in all, it's an 11-day trip for me, Janich, and the others who come in with us for setup, show, and teardown. All a blur really, but in the best way.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Thanks sooooo much Kristi!!
It's still there.....just got that letter this evening.
I'll call tomorrow and let them know to hold it for you.
Thank you and have a great trip!
Joe
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

TazKristi wrote: ;) Thanks for the kind words. SHOT starts tomorrow. I've actually been here (in Vegas) since Thursday for setup. All in all, it's an 11-day trip for me, Janich, and the others who come in with us for setup, show, and teardown. All a blur really, but in the best way.

Kristi
Wow, cool Kristi, have fun and be sure you guys post lots of pics for us stuck here at home :). And I bet it is all a blur! It always is for me too in Vegas for "work" ;) :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm jealous of the working vacation. :)

Try to enjoy yourself as much as possible. I'm pretty sure you do that every day, though!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

TazKristi wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:There you go Joe, an answer from Taz within slightly more than an hour on a holiday evening right before she and the crew leaves on a week-long trip, need I say more? I'm sure it will all work out now for sure (after they get back ;))! Cheers, Radioactive :)

;) Thanks for the kind words. SHOT starts tomorrow. I've actually been here (in Vegas) since Thursday for setup. All in all, it's an 11-day trip for me, Janich, and the others who come in with us for setup, show, and teardown. All a blur really, but in the best way.

Kristi
Vegas is always a blur for me.

Just saying.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
palonej

Post by palonej »

But the blur stays in Vegas!!
SpydyLover1234

Post by SpydyLover1234 »

I would not eat the 25 dollar cost as what you described was a manufacturing error and you should not have to pay 25 dollars extra for something that is not your fault.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I'm sure the spydie crew will take care of you.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

The same thing happened with my Domino, so instead of sending it in a second time, I just bent the lock-bar over and fixed the problem myself. I actually just sent in my Para 2 which was very lightly used, but somehow developed up and down play. I'm really hoping I don't have problems again, and I hope it can get fixed. Good luck with your knife, and I hope things get sorted out!

Matt
swigert

Post by swigert »

Great service by Taz as always. They will take care of you. Don't worry one bit.
palonej

Re: UPDATE!! Warranty denial?? Shocked!

Post by palonej »

Well.....the guys that said not to worry were correcto!!!!
Spoke to Charlynn this morning. She told me I got that letter because they found the knife was taken apart....I NEVER touched the scale screws EVER!!
Bought the knife from GP....an excellent dealer I've dealt with many times.
The only thing we can think of is it was a return....don't really know.
After speaking with Charlynn for a while, she is going to replace my knife with a brand new one!! She is a VERY understanding chick that can appreciate a knife Knut's concerns!!
Does this company just outright ROCK or what???
Can't thank Kristi and Charlynn enough!
Joe