How do you carry?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Re: How do you carry?

Post by The Deacon »

Primary folder, almost always a Stretch, is carried in my left back pocket with the clip removed. There's also a Kiwi in my watch pocket, and a Jester dangling from a belt loop with my keys.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ScottG

Post by ScottG »

Bottom of my RFP, especially this one which doesn't give you too much of an option without a clip Image
Last edited by ScottG on Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Usually clipped in my RFP. I've carried my stainless Police IWB at about 3:30-4:00. I don't like carrying G10 handles IWB, but stainless works well.

I sometimes carry RBP next to my wallet if the knife is narrow enough (Endura Police).

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

My work place has a "No dangerous weapons" policy, and while I consider my knives to be tools, not weapons, I'd rather not give them an excuse to explicitly prohibit knives, so while I am at work, I typically carry my knives down in my pockets, unclipped. The one exception is a Caly 3 or 3.5 IWB at about the 3:30 position - with my belt hiding the clip it really is not visible.

If carrying a gun, it often goes where the Caly would be, though I still have several other knives with me in different pockets.

On casual days when I wear pants with cargo pockets, I find the flap over the cargo pocket helps hide the clip and keep knives with wire clips from being dislodged easily.

Many of my Salts have *very* tight clips that keep them pretty secure when clipped to either front or rear pocket.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I usually carry front right with my keys, slim wallet, AAA flashlight, and SAK Classic. Clipless, smaller knife in the office. Clipped, larger knife outside of work. I usually have a larger knife clipped to the inside of my jacket.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

To quote the old Project Management saw, "It depends." When I am in 5.11 pants, most of the time, one knife each clipped in the rear pockets. The pants have a double thickness of material at the corner of the pockets, all of them, just for clipping something there. The positions are actually along the side of the legs, so they are out of the way and accessible. Haven't lost or had one come loose there. If in other pants, like jeans, usually the right or left rear depending on where the wallet resides. I usually don't carry knives IWB.

I'm on the fence regarding wire clips. It is possible that the shorter ones don't have the spring of the longer ones and may more easily deform when caught or snagged with some force, thereby relaxing the 'grip'. It's only a theory, and my evidence is only anecdotal.

I've lost two DF2s, one chipped to the watch pocket in my jeans (as I now remember), and the other, without a clip, from my front pocket. Pulled out with change, or keys? Frankly, can't remember but do know that I had it one morning, did some errands and shopping, then found it was gone when I got home.

A few years ago I had one of the Onion Swindles with the clip mounted on axis with the edge of the handle. Wore light, warm weather pants fishing. Got home. Knife gone. Was clipped into the right front pocket. Recently our daughter found it underneath the seat of her car, which, when I lost it was still ours. She has it now with my blessing.

A final note: although I like a good, secure pocket clip on a knife, I don't like clips when I'm using the knife. I don't like the way my hand has to accommodate the clip. Spoils a good handle and ergonomics while using the edge. I've moved the clips on my Spydercos, where possible to the pivot end, left side looking down from the top of the knife. A bit more complicated to open, but more ergonomic and comfortable while I'm using the knife, which is why I bought it in the first place. If there was a more secure way to carry a folder without a clip, I'd do it.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

When I do carry...IWB at about 4 o'clock, RBP, or RCP (if available). I try to replace all clips with deep pocket carry clips.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

For the past two years, I prefer to carry my primary knife loosely in my right front pocket. As a few others have mentioned, my RFP is solely designated as my "knife pocket," which means I only carry a knife in this pocket. (I never carry my car keys or loose change in my pockets anyway and my cash is strapped to the back of my Recycled Firefighter wallet). This method allows me to keep the knife fairly clean and scratch-free. It also prevents the pocket clip from being snagged on a seatbelt, etc., and getting unclipped/lost/damaged. If I need to carry a larger knife, I almost always carry IWB on my right side over my hip).

Edit: I also carry a Ladybug with a lanyard in my LRP on the weekends for easy access. I generally don't like to carry any knife larger than that in my back pockets because it chews into my butt. :(
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My work pants. The Delica gets used a lot and has shredded that pocket.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Strong hand in front pocket with the blade against the seam. I don't use the clip when I'm out as I don't want it seen in my pocket. I carry a second one at times in my jacket and will carry a 3rd only if I am giving one a try out and don't want to leave my Endura at home. Endura sprints solve that dilemma. It might be OC but I do feel uncomfortable without an Endura. I have such muscle memory for that knife that I can get it out and into action faster than an auto without trying to hurry. If I'm going to practice anything it will be slowing down and keeping it not noticed by others. Even family ( except my son, he carries an Endura as well) usually won't know I have a knife being used.
RexGig0

Post by RexGig0 »

When I carried a Gunting, I had Robert Humelbaugh, doing business as Survival Sheath Systems, make several kydex (or the similar Concealex) belt sheaths. These have the earlier version of the Blade-tech full-sized Tech-lok. I also bought one of Michael Sastre's kydex sheaths, for a narrow belt width, with its non-adjustable belt slot. (He does business as River City Sheaths.)

I think I may be about to resume routine daily carry of my Guntings, so this has become relevant again; the large ramp that allows "kinetic opening" means the Gunting is best carried in a well-designed/made sheath. (Another factor is that wearing a folder in a sheath on my duty belt has become less provocative than during the time a previous chief, though, of course, anything worn on the duty belt has to be defended during a touching-distance encounter.)
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Ha! I tried IWB this week and freaked out when I reached for the usual place that I carry; went through the motions of someone checking themselves to ensure they weren't shot to find it...then remembered where I placed it. Luckily I was in my cubicle where no one saw me freak out :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Usually I carry my knives in right front and rare pockets. Mostly, but not always clipped. Plus Jester on Keychain.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Anubisman

Post by Anubisman »

P'kal in rear of left side cargo pants pocket, Meerkat in outer right cargo pants pocket.
SpyderMule

Post by SpyderMule »

Using front pockets interferes with removal of my keys (left), and iPhone (right).

I keep clipped to a pocket inside a backpack I take everywhere with me during workdays.

On weekends, inside the lapel of my golf shirts.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Primary: right front pocket
Secondary: left rear pocket

Formal: right rear pocket (because dress pants have lower pocket openings)

Shorts: IWB (3 o'clock)
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Weak hand: RH tip up waved in front of left pocket
Strong hand: RH tip up back of RFP
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”