BladeHQ All Spyderco Lock Test

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scroop

BladeHQ All Spyderco Lock Test

Post by Scroop »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERxHUXAFVs4
Last edited by Scroop on Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Liquid Cobra

Re: BladeHQ All Spyderco Lock Test

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I didn't expect the bolt action to do that well. Interesting video.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Interesting test...I don't normally saw through material with the spine of my blade though so I posit that as a flaw in the test methodology. I'd guess that if they tested the lock strength the other way (As if you were actually cutting with the edge), you'd see a lot more blade failures than lock failures, making testing much more difficult...I suspect it's the reason that this style of test is popular, though somewhat redundant IMO.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Awesome video. It really makes me appreciate my knives a lot more! I would love to pick up a Sage 3, but I really wish it was still sold in blue.

Matt
SpydyLover1234

Post by SpydyLover1234 »

I thought that the bolt lock would win and I totally did not expect the delicas blade to break... twice .
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Under appreciated the Sage 3 until now.

Thanks for sharing!

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
remnar

Post by remnar »

This rig gives the lock back an advantage. The position of the cable loop keeps the lock bar from disengaging and possibly deforming. The only outcome would be a broken blade, handle or possibly a broken lock bar. None of the locks on the other knives received any kind of advantage like this. It was a very interesting test though. :spyder: :)
locard

Post by locard »

Some tough stuff all around.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This is an interesting test. I expected the comp lock to blow the stop pin out like the Manix.

You could build a knife with any one of these locks that could win this test. The CBBL, comp lock and bolt lock all work so similar that the design would probably be more of a factor than which lock it was. I would think that they could each be built to win.

Spine whack tests don't mean much to me but it is still fun to watch. Thanks for sharing. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

MattM68 wrote:Awesome video. It really makes me appreciate my knives a lot more! I would love to pick up a Sage 3, but I really wish it was still sold in blue.

Matt
You can find the blue on eBay from time to time.

I still have a new pre-need replacement in blue for myself. :)
tap78

Post by tap78 »

remnar wrote:The position of the cable loop keeps the lock bar from disengaging and possibly deforming. The only outcome would be a broken blade, handle or possibly a broken lock bar.
Good point Remnar...
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I was happy to see how well the Manix did. The Delica blade break and not having a lock failure was not too surprising, but still good to see. The Delica is one of the lightest back locks Spyderco makes. I wonder how the Stretch and Native 5 would fare?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

For the Delica, the cable was not positioned that much/far enough in front of the lockbar pivot that it reinforced the lock. In fact it seems to be at the pivot or behind, where it has no effect.

Anyone can measure where exactly 1 inch from blade pivot?

IMHO, a broken blade (assuming batoning, or in self defense situation) is safer for the wielder because the blade will not pivot & close on the hand/finger but simply fall away.

It'll be interesting to see a lockback that has more metal surrounding the notch & pivot where it breaks. I'm guessing the lockbar will break instead.
Chris :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

tap78 wrote:
remnar wrote:The position of the cable loop keeps the lock bar from disengaging and possibly deforming. The only outcome would be a broken blade, handle or possibly a broken lock bar.
Good point Remnar...
Not really, that would only be true if the cable was positioned forward of the lockbar pivot, and that did not appear to be the case.

You could make as similar and perhaps more valid point regarding framelocks, the cable would tend to deepen the lockbar's engagement and would absolutely prevent it from failing by moving outward and releasing.

On a totally different note, I wonder how one of Spyderco's higher quality liner locks would have fared.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

What an utterly worthless test. Unless you're doing MBC, all the lock really does is keep the knife from closing on your fingers if you screw up. Screwing up so badly as to break a well-designed lock? Ain't ever gonna happen ...

Gordon
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

gaj999 wrote:What an utterly worthless test. Unless you're doing MBC, all the lock really does is keep the knife from closing on your fingers if you screw up. Screwing up so badly as to break a well-designed lock? Ain't ever gonna happen ...

Gordon
I tend to agree but even throw in MBC.

Folding knives should always be treated as such and delegated to such tasks. It's specialization and a reason to have a variety of tools.

As for MBC the chance of a lock failing against squishy things in a 30 second or less encounter is very low. The chance it would impact your life or death chances again is on par.

Assuming I trust the company that made it I'm more interested in how a lock functions day to day than its break strength but my tasks are light. Slip joints and friction folders would probably be sufficient for everything to be quite honest.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Am I the only one who sees the giant flaw in this test? If they don't figure out a way to secure that loop around the handle and prevent it from sliding up, the force applied to the lock is increased as the wire slides up because it's gaining leverage. I hate to be a Debbie downer, but this test is absolutely meaningless and doesn't show anything more than how leverage works.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Why are lock tests usually spine whack tests? I whack way more stuff with the edge than the spine. I understand the fear of a knif closing on your hand but isn't force usually applied the other way except for MBC?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:Am I the only one who sees the giant flaw in this test? If they don't figure out a way to secure that loop around the handle and prevent it from sliding up, the force applied to the lock is increased as the wire slides up because it's gaining leverage. I hate to be a Debbie downer, but this test is absolutely meaningless and doesn't show anything more than how leverage works.
No, you're not the only one. And, in addition to the loop slipping, the entire knife is slipping in the fixture. That, in turn, changes the angle at which the force is applied.

At best, the test shows that none of these knives fail easily when a steadily increasing pressure is applied to the handle.

How that relates to a sudden impact on the blade spine, whether from inadvertent contact in "the heat of battle" or when you get so caught up in chopping that you smack the spine into "branch B" while trying to chop "branch A". Think of what it would take to drive a nail into a block of wood with a single hammer blow, versus what it would take to press that same nail into the same block of wood.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Fkrow

Post by Fkrow »

Evil D wrote:Am I the only one who sees the giant flaw in this test? If they don't figure out a way to secure that loop around the handle and prevent it from sliding up, the force applied to the lock is increased as the wire slides up because it's gaining leverage. I hate to be a Debbie downer, but this test is absolutely meaningless and doesn't show anything more than how leverage works.
Exactly my first impression.

The blades were slipping in the vice/clamp which also allowed the cable to slip down the handle.

Very sloppy set up.

Regards,
FK