Bradley folder 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RedCollie

Re: Bradley folder 2

Post by RedCollie »

I just got mine today from National knives. They have 6 in stock as of now.

I love the way it opens, with smooth, sexy, authority...Thwack! I have small hands, and find the handle to be very comfortable. Even with my tiny fingers, I have trouble disengaging the lock, and that is my only complaint about this knife. For me, it requires two hands to close so I don't cut myself.

I cut half an orange with the Bradley 2, and the other half with an Endura VG-10. The Bradley 2 cut easy and straight, and the Endura was harder to control and tended to cut in arcs. I noticed a chemical reaction on the Bradley 2 blade, a white fog that was easily wiped away with a damp cloth, leaving the steel shiny.

It's too heavy for hiking or backpacking, so this will be my car camping / picnic / road trip knife, with its primary purpose being food prep. I know that with time it will get easier for me to close, because there is so much I love about this knife, I just want to carry it and use it.
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

farnorthdan wrote:Picture sucks but here is the 2 & 1 together, I'll try for better pics later.

Something I just noticed was no lanyard hole...

edit: also the lock seems a lot easier to disengage than the 1
Can anyone say if it would be possible to attach a lanyard to the rear-most stand-off on the Bradley 2 without it getting the way of the closed blade? A picture of the spine of the handle would be good to see, if anyone wants to take a picture. Thanks!
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Left Hand Path wrote:Can anyone say if it would be possible to attach a lanyard to the rear-most stand-off on the Bradley 2 without it getting the way of the closed blade? A picture of the spine of the handle would be good to see, if anyone wants to take a picture. Thanks!
This is merely hearsay, as I heard it on BF or here (can't remember), but he attached a lanyard to the final standoff, a la the CRK Sebenza successfully.

I'd say there is plenty of room.
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

Thanks hoimin! I really appreciate that, and the picture. I do not remember seeing that picture before.
swigert

Post by swigert »

hoimin wrote:
Left Hand Path wrote:Can anyone say if it would be possible to attach a lanyard to the rear-most stand-off on the Bradley 2 without it getting the way of the closed blade? A picture of the spine of the handle would be good to see, if anyone wants to take a picture. Thanks!
This is merely hearsay, as I heard it on BF or here (can't remember), but he attached a lanyard to the final standoff, a la the CRK Sebenza successfully.

I'd say there is plenty of room.
I think you definitely can. I hope these pics help...

Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

Thanks swigert! Great pics-
Ashton

Post by Ashton »

I just got one of these. Gonna carry it for a few days. In short - I like it! Kinda a mini Starmate, but more "elegant?" maybe. No problems with the finger flick, super smooth - and I like the lock design. This is a nice knife that will be getting a deep carry clip soon.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Mine arrived yesterday, already I'm a fan. Seems like an excellent, straightforward working knife. Also a great buy at ~$130.

My only concern is that the detente is weak on mine. The blade partially deployed while putting the knife in my pocket. Is anyone else experiencing something similar?

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
swigert

Post by swigert »

Able Dog wrote:Mine arrived yesterday, already I'm a fan. Seems like an excellent, straightforward working knife. Also a great buy at ~$130.

My only concern is that the detente is weak on mine. The blade partially deployed while putting the knife in my pocket. Is anyone else experiencing something similar?
Nope not for me, Id get a replacement I think...
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Able Dog wrote:Mine arrived yesterday, already I'm a fan. Seems like an excellent, straightforward working knife. Also a great buy at ~$130.

My detent is fairly strong. I can shake the knife out if I give it a good shake, but it takes a decent amount of force.

On an unrelated note, my Bradley 2 was very smooth when I first received it, but has gotten harder to open since cutting an apple - I'm wondering if some of the fruit juice got in the pivot area. Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning or lubricating it?
Last edited by Wright.88 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Wright.88 wrote:

My detent is fairly strong. I can shake the knife out if I give it a good shake, but it takes a decent amount of force.

On an unrelated note, my Bradley 2 was very smooth when I first received it, but has gotten harder to open since cutting an apple - I'm wondering if some of the fruit juice for in the pivot area. Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning or lubricating it?
I would just wash/soak is warm water with mild dish soap, dry, blow excess water out of pivot area with compressed air and add a drop or two of your preferred lubricant.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

farnorthdan wrote:
Wright.88 wrote:

On an unrelated note, my Bradley 2 was very smooth when I first received it, but has gotten harder to open since cutting an apple - I'm wondering if some of the fruit juice for in the pivot area. Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning or lubricating it?
I would just wash/soak is warm water with mild dish soap, dry, blow excess water out of pivot area with compressed air and add a drop or two of your preferred lubricant.
I haven't oiled my knives before. I have Rem oil and frog lube that I use on my handguns. Would you use either of those on a knife's pivot?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Sure those should work, I use Nano oil but any quality lube should do the trick.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Shockwave

Post by Shockwave »

My detent was a little weak as well. The blade was open when I took it out of the box for the first time. I adjusted the pivot a little tighter and all is fine now.

I've since got my African blackwood scales from Sketchen and I couldn't be happier. I am blown away at how good they look. I went flush with the liners and it feels great! I am extremely happy with them. I went with the blackwood because to me they are understated elegance, but still have the hard work look. Here are some pics with my crappy phone. They don't do them justice. I will post a pic that Sketchen took of them as well. It shows some detail a bit better.

Stroppy

Post by Stroppy »

jmh58 wrote:Mine is here!!!! F&F is GREAT.. Flickability with the thumb is smooth!!! Lock.. Not so much.. Gonna have to play around with the un-lockness a bit!! ;) Feels super in hand.. Sharp as a scaple.. Time will tell.. But best of all.. NO choil!!! :D John :)
hi john,

what don't you like about how the knife locks? what do you mean by un-lockness?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Stunning scales! A perfect example of "less is more"
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Stroppy wrote:
jmh58 wrote:Mine is here!!!! F&F is GREAT.. Flickability with the thumb is smooth!!! Lock.. Not so much.. Gonna have to play around with the un-lockness a bit!! ;) Feels super in hand.. Sharp as a scaple.. Time will tell.. But best of all.. NO choil!!! :D John :)
hi john,

what don't you like about how the knife locks? what do you mean by un-lockness?
Access to the liner lock.. I have since sent the knife back as I just could not warm up to it.. The Honeymoon ended real quick with this one!! :D John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Finally got mine... Totally different feel than the GB1. The combination of the choil and how the blade leans forward from the handle gives the GB1 a feeling of supreme utility and cutting power in hand, which defined the Bradley Folder for me. It's been my favorite friend for many large projects, and I don't think that will change anytime soon.

The GB2 looks and feels awesome, but is a more traditional and comparatively straight forward design. Its weight and width feels more proportional to the size of the knife than the GB1 (which is arguably a pocket brick), and the reduced price for such a premium fit and finish is outstanding. This will find a place into my rotation, just not where the GB1 goes. If it was a brother instead a replacement I'd probably like it even more. The GB2 is a great addition to the family, but not a "refined" GB1 IMHO.

There is something about the bump in the handle right where the Spyderhole is on the GB2 that my thumb finds awkward.

Lock and liner comparo:
Stroppy

Post by Stroppy »

has anyone else found the gb2 to be dirty from the factory? I had a bunch of fine black particles that was everywhere on the inside of the handle on the steel liners, and a lot of gunk on the blade, especially on the lock face and tang.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Stroppy wrote:has anyone else found the gb2 to be dirty from the factory? I had a bunch of fine black particles that was everywhere on the inside of the handle on the steel liners, and a lot of gunk on the blade, especially on the lock face and tang.
My was a little gunky. It arrived with a desiccant packet stuffed in the pivot area, and a small amount of black gunk on the stop pin area, lock face, and tang. It cleaned off easily for me just using a Q-Tip and oil.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe