Mantra or Mantra 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Mantra or Mantra 2?

Mantra
56%
Mantra 2
44%

Total votes: 163

hoimin

Re: Mantra or Mantra 2?

Post by hoimin »

RamZar wrote: I should've been more descriptive. What I meant was that you cannot open the Mantra 2 one-handed WITHOUT the flipper but you can do that with the Positron.
I knew what you meant! I'm also amazed that you could open the Positron via Spydie-hole.

Once upon a time, I wrote about a wish knife (3" Ti-RIL Spydie flipper) which it looks like the Mantras have answered! Sadly, my tastes have changed, but the Mantras are extremely attractive nonetheless!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

hoimin wrote:
RamZar wrote: I should've been more descriptive. What I meant was that you cannot open the Mantra 2 one-handed WITHOUT the flipper but you can do that with the Positron.
I knew what you meant! I'm also amazed that you could open the Positron via Spydie-hole.
On the Positron, you have to get the corner of your thumb at an angle into the small Spydie hole. Slow and cumbersome. A faster way is to use your thumb and middle finger to pinch the blade open.

On the Mantra 2 there's just no room for either method.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I bet the ergos are better on the Delica compared to the Mantra.The flipper tab is going to push the hand grip far back.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

elena86 wrote:I bet the ergos are better on the Delica compared to the Mantra.The flipper tab is going to push the hand grip far back.
Somehow I feel the opposite. The Delica just never felt comfortable or confident in my hand. I've continued to purchase them because I want to like them, but I always pass them on. The Mantra and Mantra 2 both feel great in my hand, and the Mantra2 is darn near perfect for me.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

abbazaba wrote:
elena86 wrote:I bet the ergos are better on the Delica compared to the Mantra.The flipper tab is going to push the hand grip far back.
Somehow I feel the opposite. The Delica just never felt comfortable or confident in my hand. I've continued to purchase them because I want to like them, but I always pass them on. The Mantra and Mantra 2 both feel great in my hand, and the Mantra2 is darn near perfect for me.
I never warmed up to the Delica either. I have one which is the titanium Damascus which has never been carried. For something that size I've gotten Native, Sage and Caly 3. Now, Mantra 2 trumps them all.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

They should have made the Mantra 2 a wharny. I don't like that blade shape. I'm picturing the blade flipped as though you were cutting with the spine. Much better. :)
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

I noticed yesterday that the blade is definitely a reversed Des Horn

Superimposed:Image

Mirrored?:

I like it. I like the slim closed profile. I like the flat spine and the cutting edge. Great length. Very, very happy with it. Only wish it opened with the same deliberance as the Southard.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Got my Mantra 2 in today and am extremely pleased! Fit and finish is great, as I've come to expect from Taichung...perfect centering, nice even grind, and the spine is finished really smoothly so it feels nice under the thumb, like it's just one step under being rounded off. Love the stonewashed finish on the titanium.

Ergo-wise, the handle is just long enough to where my pinky fits right on the last indentation on the tail end for a solid four finger grip, so it fits my medium/average hand a bit better than the Positron does for that reason. I would say if you like the Delica handle, then you'll like the Mantra's. The flipper tab changes the grip a tiny bit compared to the Delica 4, but not much. The edges of the handle are well chamfered.

The flipper action works well enough, though since the blade is so slim and light, it doesn't really "thwack" into place like you might expect from a heftier knife. That said, the nice slim profile and thin blade stock are totally worthy tradeoffs for a little less "thwack" in my opinion. Overall, the Mantra 2 kind of reminds of a tiny "gentleman's" version of the Southard in a lot of ways. Definitely going to get a lot of pocket time.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

vaisforlovers wrote:I noticed yesterday that the blade is definitely a reversed Des Horn
Heh, thanks for showing that comparo.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I selected the Mantra. I like both and can afford neither now. That's how it goes I guess. :)

Joe
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

My mantra has been in transit since 1/7/16. It's killing me!!! Hopefully here soon
timlara

Post by timlara »

The Mastiff wrote:I like both and can afford neither now. That's how it goes I guess. :)

Joe
Haha! Well said, sir. :D
AlanC101

Post by AlanC101 »

I have the mantra 1, I feel it is a little hard to disengage consistently. I feel it is because of lack of cut out. I am a righty and I can almost disengage better using my left hand.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
Just got this, and I am totally impressed!
Thanks for looking!
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
Well, the Mantra 2 has been riding in my pocket for a couple of days now, and my only fault with the knife was how low it rode with the deep carry clip.
So I swapped out the clip for a regular wire clip, added a fob with a bead, and now it's perfect!

Later,
Don
Holland

Post by Holland »

These photos are killing me, I was going hold off getting the Mantra till after I carry the Hap40 delica for a couple months, but I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

I love the Mantra, I've been carrying for a couple of days now. The only thing that was a little surprising to me is the late lock up on a new knife. I'd say it locks up at about 60-70%. Has anybody else noticed this on their's?
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey spydiesense,
Here's a look at the lockup on my 2.
Later,
Don
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I got to handle both versions of the Mantra yesterday and I decided on the Mantra 1. The Mantra 2 is very nice, but I guess I feel like my Positron is similar enough that I don't need it. I know this knife is supposed to be a Delica flipper but I can't help see it more as a Caly 3 flipper without a choil. Not much for me to say other than that that hasn't be covered already in this thread. Queue the BBQ!

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
swigert

Post by swigert »

I had to send my Mantra back. Really sticky lock. Hopefully I'll have a replacement next week. Also, I accidentally caught the clip on my Mantra 1 and sent it flying across a parking lot last night.

Got a good ding in the titanium. Not gonna lie sometimes it's a relief when things like that happen. No I'm not afraid to use it!