Training Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Torakan

Training Knives

Post by Torakan »

How many models of training knives did Spyderco produce? I have trainer models of the Edura, Endura Wave, Delica, Pikal, Gunting, and Temperance. Other than the Delica Wave, did Spyderco put into regular production any other trainers?
SpydyLover1234

Re: Training Knives

Post by SpydyLover1234 »

That's all I know of.
SpydyLover1234

Post by SpydyLover1234 »

That's all I know of.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

They also made trainers for the Spyderfly and Smallfly
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

What's becoming interesting to me is how the value of the discontinued Spyderco TRAINER models have catapulted in price. Particularly the Gunting and TEMP 1 Trainer models have become very much sought after in the past two years. I sold my Gunting trainer when I got in a financial pinch but I still have the holster for it. And I don't think that the holsters were made by Spyderco either.

The Gunting and TEMP 1 Trainers are probably the hardest ones to find at this point. I have actually heard of a couple of people years ago who ground their trainers and made knives out of them :eek: I don't remember what blade steel that they made the TRAINERS with but I'm sure it was some left over bar stock from years ago.

It's funny because at the time when the TRAINERS were in the main line up I don't think anyone would have ever expected them to ever become collector pieces.
Birdman21

Post by Birdman21 »

I'm actually surprised that theres not a Civilian or Matriarch trainer, given they were designed for SD
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Birdman21 wrote:I'm actually surprised that theres not a Civilian or Matriarch trainer, given they were designed for SD
I'm guessing maintaining proper width and blunting the tip would be the difficulty. That and the comparative production volume of the live blade counterparts (Endura/Delica).

IMHO, the Bali trainers are obvious. The P'kal trainers are necessary as it's Spyderco's only RGEI knife. The Delica/Endura trainers come with or without the wave for various draw styles. They (E4/D4) are great for drills and very light sparring and the standard hammer/saber or reverse edge out grips translate well to other knives in the 3-4" blade length.
Studey

Post by Studey »

Birdman21 wrote:I'm actually surprised that theres not a Civilian or Matriarch trainer, given they were designed for SD

It IS nice to have one. :p

Studey

Post by Studey »

FlyHigh wrote:this is my curent training knife http://guuger.com/product/pocket-knife/ ... ket-knife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and dragon pocket knife is my other big favourite
Looks a little sharp to train with... ;)
Torakan

Post by Torakan »

I thought I heard Spyderco did a trainer version of the Warrior. However I cant find that one was ever available for sale.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

As mentioned in your BF thread, there were D3 and E3 trainers, which had solid blades.
Studey

Post by Studey »

Torakan wrote:I thought I heard Spyderco did a trainer version of the Warrior. However I cant find that one was ever available for sale.
Never heard of that.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Guy Rafaeli, the designer of the Spyderco Warrior, did a few sand-cast aluminum trainers. The were never widely available, especially outside of Israel.

Stay safe,

Mike
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Hello all.
Another place to find custom trainers are from Robert Langford of Dynamic Tactical Systems. Robert makes trainers from wood that are beautiful and durable. Nice to see there are still some folks seeking trainers. My first Spyderco product was actually a Temp 1 trainer.
Thanks Matt.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JNewell wrote:As mentioned in your BF thread, there were D3 and E3 trainers, which had solid blades.
Yeah I think you're right about that>> because I've had two trainers for the Delica and Endura and both of them had steel blades. I heard on one of the other knife forums that Spyderco made most of their trainers with the older GIN-1 bar stock which they made many of their earlier Spyderco knives.

Personally I just don't think any trainer would be worth anything if it wasn't made with blade steel>> it would have to simulate the real knife in order to have a good replica of the live knife you would be using for SD or martial arts.
Rodah

Post by Rodah »

I agree that training knives should be steel blade simply because the trainee shall be aware and careful on how to manage and is is very importatnt that the Hardness be valued does giving quite a bit of information and even 1 point of difference can affect knife performance and the trainee also same thing with the trainor as well.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Except if you anything more than flow drills with a steel knife you will make people bleed, bruise knuckles, and maybe even break smaller bones like in the hand.

Knives like the one Studey makes are ideal for intensive training. Unless of course ones definition of "intensive" is less than fitting or you work out with a group that doesn't mind showing up to work unable to use a keyboard...
Studey

Post by Studey »

JD Spydo wrote:
JNewell wrote:As mentioned in your BF thread, there were D3 and E3 trainers, which had solid blades.

Personally I just don't think any trainer would be worth anything if it wasn't made with blade steel>> it would have to simulate the real knife in order to have a good replica of the live knife you would be using for SD or martial arts.
That just isn't true. Folding steel trainers are useful for deployment drills, or scenario-based training that requires the access and use of a knife. However, that's only part of training, and for everything except those two situations, a 'gentler' trainer has advantages. As Blerv points out, a steel or aluminum trainer is easy to injure someone with. All it takes is someone being a bit overzealous, or someone missing a block or similar, and a metal trainer can chip a tooth, damage an eye, or even penetrate, depending on the training knife being used.

Additionally, wooden or polymer trainers usually have a wider edge and point, and so distribute force and impact over a wider area than a metal drone, thus making for less felt force on your partner. The less you're making them hurt, the longer and more frequently they're willing to train, thereby improving your ability to retain training partners.

I don't mean this specifically in defense of the trainers I make, but the statement that non-steel trainers aren't worth anything is blatantly untrue. Folding steel trainers are necessary for training involving deploying the folder. Metal trainers are also useful if you're training with long blades, as balance is more critical then, but for anything involving real intensity, non-metal trainers have the 'edge' (buh-dum-tiss).
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Torokan, FlyHigh, Rodah,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

Studey wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

That just isn't true. Folding steel trainers are useful for deployment drills, or scenario-based training that requires the access and use of a knife. However, that's only part of training, and for everything except those two situations, a 'gentler' trainer has advantages. As Blerv points out, a steel or aluminum trainer is easy to injure someone with. All it takes is someone being a bit overzealous, or someone missing a block or similar, and a metal trainer can chip a tooth, damage an eye, or even penetrate, depending on the training knife being used.

Additionally, wooden or polymer trainers usually have a wider edge and point, and so distribute force and impact over a wider area than a metal drone, thus making for less felt force on your partner. The less you're making them hurt, the longer and more frequently they're willing to train, thereby improving your ability to retain training partners.

I don't mean this specifically in defense of the trainers I make, but the statement that non-steel trainers aren't worth anything is blatantly untrue. Folding steel trainers are necessary for training involving deploying the folder. Metal trainers are also useful if you're training with long blades, as balance is more critical then, but for anything involving real intensity, non-metal trainers have the 'edge' (buh-dum-tiss).

Well said.

Part of training is accessing the knife too - your trainers are great for person on person training - but wont teach you anything about quickly getting the knife out of your pocket and open under stress - trying to get a knife out and open while your training partner is attacking you is just as important as learning what to do once it is open and in your hand.