Mantra or Mantra 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Mantra or Mantra 2?

Mantra
56%
Mantra 2
44%

Total votes: 163

RamZar

Re: Mantra or Mantra 2?

Post by RamZar »

That didn't take long. Both are in stock at BladeHQ.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Have a 2 headed my way and will pick up a Mantra soon also
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

abbazaba wrote:
JerryIsAlive wrote:Scooped a Mantra yesterday from National. I was set on the 1 but the above video of the 2 looks great! Oy
I panicked when I saw them in stock and bought both :eek:

I'd like to say my panic attacks had such results, but that would probably end in even larger panic when I got the CC bill. :eek:
Going back to Caly.
BTG

Post by BTG »

I got lucky, I had pre ordered with KC, but late...checked today, they had 5 come in but I wasn't in the top 5...who knows when more will be along... So I cancelled my order and got one from Blade hq.....just in time as I see they're out now...of the Mantra anyway....don't know about the II
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

From the Spyderco Instagram account @spyderco_inc

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
elena86

Post by elena86 »

A question for those lucky Mantra owners.How are the ergos on this one ? I am worried about the flipper tab pushing the hand grip far back.Usually flippers do that.My Southard flipper does that.From the pictures I would say that the Mantra2 has slightly better ergos on that respect.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Did we ever figure out what style the internal stop pin is? Southard style or Nilakka style?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Evil D wrote:Did we ever figure out what style the internal stop pin is? Southard style or Nilakka style?
I am curious too. I would guess Southard style since the knife is Ti. The Nilakka has SS liners for the stop pin channels. The Sage4 and Chaparral have SS liners and a Nilakka style stop pin. I think that machining the stop pin channels into the TI is a problem. Just a guess as to why some are one way and some are the other. I hope I am wrong.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Evil D wrote:Did we ever figure out what style the internal stop pin is? Southard style or Nilakka style?
I am curious too. I would guess Southard style since the knife is Ti. The Nilakka has SS liners for the stop pin channels. The Sage4 and Chaparral have SS liners and a Nilakka style stop pin. I think that machining the stop pin channels into the TI is a problem. Just a guess as to why some are one way and some are the other. I hope I am wrong.
That does make sense, I'll be waiting for take down pics before I buy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
swigert

Post by swigert »

Evil D wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
That does make sense, I'll be waiting for take down pics before I buy.
Can you explain the difference more?
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

It's a stationary stop pin.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

New Graham has them in stock. Just ordered one, leaving at least 7 left.

Delica-like, flipper, with a wire clip....Oh, Yeah! Haven't been this excited about a knife since the Slysz Bowie!
Squidish1992

Post by Squidish1992 »

I like both but I prefer the mantra, I kinda wish it had no flipper and a finger coils but I still one.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Welcome to the forum, Squidish :)
Squidish1992 wrote:I like both but I prefer the mantra, I kinda wish it had no flipper and a finger coils but I still one.

Me too. Make that about 8 inches long with about a 3.5 inch blade, and you may be talking about my perfect knife :D but I still want one too.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Mantra 2 inbound...couldn't resist that sleek profile. Looks like it is gonna be super comfy in pocket.

Welp, so much for my 2016 streak.

:: shakes fist at Eric ::

;)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Feel your pain timlara, my Mantra 2 arrives tomorrow, I gave up long ago...I think this year my goal will be to only buy one :spyder: per week, did I mention I'm starting next week :D I bought 3 this week :rolleyes:
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
timlara

Post by timlara »

Haha...ouch! I guess I don't feel as bad about only 1 in the first 8 days, then! :D
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Makes me feel a little better about my 4/month last fall (at least some were bought used). I'm rationalizing now about just why it is that I need to make exceptions for the 52100 millie and Manta and how I'm gonna sell some any week now.

Edited to insert the word "bought" (all but 4 or so were put to use :D )
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

It's so hard to resist with all these great :spyder:'s dropping one right after another, I keep thinking we're going to get a break then Poof another drops out of the blue like the mantra. Two of the ones I picked up this week were ones on my discontinued list that I just couldn't pass up for the price I got them for.

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

It seems as though if I'm dying to get one quick, it doesn't come out for about six months but if I've really overspent, 3 or 4 I want all come out at once... I know, a first world problem ;)