TSA confiscated knives- good deal or not?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Tyrdle

TSA confiscated knives- good deal or not?

Post by Tyrdle »

Recently I learned about what the TSA does with all the knives they confiscate at airports. I looked for some on Ebay, and to my great surprise, they were selling 20 knives for $30. There were 124 near-identical listings, and each one said, "You get what's in the picture." I thought, "Whoah!" Super cheap knives! There were even some (probably fake) Spydies in the pictures. But then there were the imitators. Other people, not the TSA, were selling fake knives for cheap, saying that they had an amazing deal and that the knives were confiscated, which they weren't. I'm still thinking about buying from the real TSA. Is it worth it?
:spyder: Turtles can have knives too, right? :spyder:
Aus-8 Delica 1 ATS-55 Endura UK Penknife
Positron Mamba Blurple PM2
this_is_nascar

Re: TSA confiscated knives- good deal or not?

Post by this_is_nascar »

I've gotten dozens of Vic Classics this way. I clean them up and sell them for $3-$5 at the flea market.
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

Cool. I'm thinking about buying some for my knife collection and maybe giving some to my friends.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I refuse to believe that those SOB's don't pocket the nicer knives. Nobody will ever convince me of otherwise. I won't fly unless I'm crossing an ocean.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I believe it's a racket. They take your stuff and then sell it or keep it. I hate flying. I only do it when forced to. I'm like a cat in water on a plane lol. Gotta get drunk or I'll start freaking out. Plus everyone on a plane is a jerk.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I've never ever spied anything 'good' knifewise in the sharps bin at an airport- And that's in passing through more than 30 International and Local airports in the last 2 years....Plenty of bread knives and carving knives though- which is a bit worrying- Who lives in this day and age yet believes you can walk onto a flight with a 9" carving knife?

I have seen a really, really nice Mititoyu digital vernier caliper with the tungsten carbide jaws though...and I'm willing to bet that it's now sat, rusting, uncalibrated and unloved, in the bottom of some TSA's guys tool box. :(
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Nothing new. They've been doing it for years. I refuse to buy due to the fact that these items are little more than stolen property being fenced by the TSA. Sugar-coat it as you wish. When you break it down, that is exactly what it is.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Monocrom wrote:Nothing new. They've been doing it for years. I refuse to buy due to the fact that these items are little more than stolen property being fenced by the TSA. Sugar-coat it as you wish. When you break it down, that is exactly what it is.
100% agree with this, the original owner should be given the chance to have their property mailed to them, or held for pickup on their return, rather than "confiscated" and resold for profit.
demoncase wrote: I have seen a really, really nice Mititoyu digital vernier caliper with the tungsten carbide jaws though...and I'm willing to bet that it's now sat, rusting, uncalibrated and unloved, in the bottom of some TSA's guys tool box. :(
OMG a caliper?!? those things are more deadly than a spork!! oh the terror! ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I will not say the TSA is guilty of anything but upholding the current law. However, there was an investigative report many years back about "lost" luggage. The so-called "lost" luggage ends up being sold to stores that sell everything cheaply. Most of the time the luggage was clearly labled as to whose it was, address, telephone number, flight information, and everything. Yet it was "lost." The airlines were making a good profit from losing luggage, it seemed.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Monocrom wrote:Nothing new. They've been doing it for years. I refuse to buy due to the fact that these items are little more than stolen property being fenced by the TSA. Sugar-coat it as you wish. When you break it down, that is exactly what it is.
Excellent point. I had never thought of it this way.
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

Doc Dan said, (my quotes are broken,) "I will not say the TSA is guilty of anything but upholding the current law. However, there was an investigative report many years back about "lost" luggage. The so-called "lost" luggage ends up being sold to stores that sell everything cheaply. Most of the time the luggage was clearly labled as to whose it was, address, telephone number, flight information, and everything. Yet it was "lost." The airlines were making a good profit from losing luggage, it seemed." I do agree with Doc about how the luggage being sold was stolen property. I think that because the people walking into the airport don't know that their luggage is going to be "lost", but it's not the same way with knives. Who doesn't know that you can't bring knives on planes?! Pretty much nobody. So anyone who tries to bring a knife on a plane should have their knife taken because they are either very stupid(and should not have a knife) or trying to sneak one onto a plane (and definitely should not have a knife). I believe that what the TSA is doing is fine because you know that it is going to be taken away.

PS: When I made this thread, I was asking if buying TSA knives was a good deal, not if the TSA was being fair. :rolleyes: whatever
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TSA knives being a good deal depends on your definition of a good deal. Are you basing it solely on price? If so then sure it could potentially be a good deal. Some people base good deals on not buying "stolen" property. Everyone's idea of a good deal is different.
Spydergirl88
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Tyrdle wrote:So anyone who tries to bring a knife on a plane should have their knife taken because they are either very stupid.
Being very stupid is not a crime. If it were, most of our congressional representatives would be in jail.

Since it's not a crime, it shouldn't be punishable.

In fact, even if it were a crime, the taking of private property without compensation (even from criminals) is barred by the fifth amendment (takings clause) and the taking of private property without due process is barred by the fourteenth amendment (due process clause).

Taking something illegally (i.e. without due process or just compensation, under US law) is, by definition, theft.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Doc Dan wrote:I will not say the TSA is guilty of anything but upholding the current law. However, there was an investigative report many years back about "lost" luggage. The so-called "lost" luggage ends up being sold to stores that sell everything cheaply. Most of the time the luggage was clearly labled as to whose it was, address, telephone number, flight information, and everything. Yet it was "lost." The airlines were making a good profit from losing luggage, it seemed.
And that is why during the very rare times I fly, I pack only inexpensive clothes in my bags. Though I can often get by with just a carry-on. Even better.
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

TomAiello, I never said that being stupid is a crime. What I said meant that if you don't know you can't bring knives on planes you probably shouldn't carry knives around. I wasn't arguing that being stupid is a crime either.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Tyrdle wrote: PS: When I made this thread, I was asking if buying TSA knives was a good deal, not if the TSA was being fair. :rolleyes: whatever
Hey, you know what?...... Excellent point!

One, it would depend on the item in question as you're going to see mostly cheap pocket-knives and other such cheap items sold in bulk since we're dealing with the general Public. Most of which is comprised of folks who think anything over $30 for a pocket-knife is a stupid waste of money. But once in awhile you'll find quality items every now and then.

Two, hey; if you like owning stolen property and have zero morals about that..... Well, been my experience you won't find too many fellow forum members on this site who'll agree to your way of thinking. Welcome to the forums. And feel free to leave anytime and never come back. I don't speak for anyone but myself. Still, since you're new here; yeah you're not going to get a ton of understanding with that mentality from most of the other forum members here. Once again, welcome to the forums.... And welcome to my Ignore List.

P.S. ~ Feel free to leave an insulting comment in reply. Guys like you can't help that sort of thing. Just know, I won't see it. I don't care. Have a nice day. :)
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

Spydergirl88 wrote:TSA knives being a good deal depends on your definition of a good deal. Are you basing it solely on price? If so then sure it could potentially be a good deal. Some people base good deals on not buying "stolen" property. Everyone's idea of a good deal is different.
Spydergirl, my definition of a good deal is getting knives worth what I am spending. I personally am okay with what the TSA is doing with the knives and I just want to know whether the knives are worth it. That's why i made this thread, to know whether the knives are worth it, not to debate the legality of knife confiscation. :o
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

Ugh. Monocrom. I realized, he's the one who started the debate on whether the TSA was fair, which was not the purpose of the thread. And now it's blah blah blah you will have no friends blah blah i hate you. Just great.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Tyrdle, without more details it's hard to say whether it's a good deal money-wise. You mentioned there may be spyderco fakes in the lot. Why pay any amount of money for fake knives? If you need 20 used, confiscated knives of varying build quality then go ahead. I understand the thrill of a grab bag situation with a variety of knives but you need to ask yourself do you want one good new knife or many used knives? Not trying to rag on you at all. We're all friends here just having a discussion. :)
Spydergirl88
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

Spydergirl88 wrote:We're all friends here just having a discussion. :)
Except for Monocrom. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: But thanks for your help with this idea, now I am beginning to want to buy the confiscated knives less and less. You're probably right, it would be much better to buy 1 $60 spydie than to buy 40 pieces of junk for the same. I was just thinking I could keep a few, fix some of them, clean them maybe, and sell them or something. I really need to make my Spydie collection bigger and zero junk knives is more than you need. :D