The sooner the PM3 gets here...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nasgul

Re: The sooner the PM3 gets here...

Post by Nasgul »

SpeedHoles wrote:It'll get here soon enough, just gimme a minute, man! :D
I didn't get it at the 1st time I read it !
:cool: :D
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

My only request is that it's designed to look smooth when close, like the PM2, not the Delica/Endura. Knocking that thumb-ramp down a bit like the Native-5 would be awesome too (for me).

Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Maybe Sal will post a early Production pic. soon.

*hint, hint. nudge, nudge*
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I imagine that Spyderco will discuss the new Minuteman in greater detail at the upcoming Amsterdam Meet. I can't wait to see some pictures. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
joe58

Post by joe58 »

So on this model, the handle will be more slender as compared to a Native 5 G10, right?

But as far as overall length closed, it'll be pretty close to the N5? Or even a tad shorter?

I do like the N5, but my one small issue with it is the wide/tall handle. More slender would be awesome.
losinground

Post by losinground »

I hope it doesn't have a 50/50 choil. not a big fan of it.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

joe58 wrote:So on this model, the handle will be more slender as compared to a Native 5 G10, right?

But as far as overall length closed, it'll be pretty close to the N5? Or even a tad shorter?

I do like the N5, but my one small issue with it is the wide/tall handle. More slender would be awesome.

I'm doubting it will be much more slender... but hopefully those who have handled it will chime in!

I personally wouldn't consider the Native 5 handle "tall" at all. Not a description that comes to mind for that knife.
Maybe a bit thick for its' size category, but not excessively.

losinground wrote:I hope it doesn't have a 50/50 choil. not a big fan of it.

Of course it should have the choil, it's based on the Paramilitary!?
Going back to Caly.
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

This could be one of those EDC grail knives for me. I've decided to buy a PM2 or two just because what kind of Spyderco collector will I be with no PM2s? But the size has always put me off, and I can't picture carrying one. I thought the same about the Manix at first, so maybe I'll warm up to the PM2 at least situationally.

I think a smaller version could potentially have a bigger following than the PM2. I'll be all over it.

My vote is to call it "Downsized Military" or "ParaPara"
idubodywork

Post by idubodywork »

Not too worried about how much longer it will take. I have full confidence that Sal, Eric and the gang will exceed our expectations ... again ! ... even if it does take and extra minute , man ! As far as my two cents go a quad mountable deep carry wire clip that makes contact with a smooth area on the g10 scale ( a little easier on the pants ) would be great . maybe a large smooth spyder like the ones on either side of some of the slipits.
:spyder: What A Great Knife ! :spyder:
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

PM3 shot courtesy of Knife News:
http://knifenews.com/spyderco-minuteman ... announced/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I will most probably buy one, on the other side i have never understood why those who want a 3" blade knife don't just get one that's available.
To me it's a little like "Oh the Mazda MX5 is a great car, if they made it four door station wagon i'd get one in a heartbeat" :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

Larry_Mott wrote:I will most probably buy one, on the other side i have never understood why those who want a 3" blade knife don't just get one that's available.
To me it's a little like "Oh the Mazda MX5 is a great car, if they made it four door station wagon i'd get one in a heartbeat" :)
Some people are just really picky :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Image

http://knifenews.com/spyderco-minuteman ... announced/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This cracks me up!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have seen it. It is a scaled down Para2. It won't have the gap like the delica/endura and of course it will have a 50/50 choil. The Para2 is not known for a slim or small handle so if the Native5 is too chunky I would expect this one to be too chunky also.

I will reiterate that it looks like you put a Para2 in the drier and shrunk it. They didn't change anything about it other than the dimensions. I think that the knifenews pic is photoshopped but it is pretty close to what I handled. ;) Patience my friends. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

TheOutdoorNerd wrote:This could be one of those EDC grail knives for me. I've decided to buy a PM2 or two just because what kind of Spyderco collector will I be with no PM2s? But the size has always put me off, and I can't picture carrying one. I thought the same about the Manix at first, so maybe I'll warm up to the PM2 at least situationally.

I think a smaller version could potentially have a bigger following than the PM2. I'll be all over it.

My vote is to call it "Downsized Military" or "ParaPara"
If the Manix isn't too big then the Para2 shouldn't be either. I find the Para2 a little slimmer myself. You will figure it out, ;) , and it won't take long. :D

We have had multiple polls on preferred blade length and it is usually fairly even between 3" blades and 3.5" blades so I would guess that popularity could be very similar. There are maybe more options already around 3 inches so that could also be a factor.

It will be called the Minuteman. I grew up in Boston and am a did hard NE Patriots fan so I love the name.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Larry_Mott wrote:I will most probably buy one, on the other side i have never understood why those who want a 3" blade knife don't just get one that's available.
You make the assumption that Afi's are ever satisfied with what's available
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Image

Awesome, I was really hoping the digital Camo dot matrix would be downsized an equal 25% because I always found my surroundings were higher resolution than the larger PM2 digi-camo, and my knife handles would always get spotted and blow my cover. :p. :D
Going back to Caly.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I have seen it. It is a scaled down Para2. It won't have the gap like the delica/endura and of course it will have a 50/50 choil. The Para2 is not known for a slim or small handle so if the Native5 is too chunky I would expect this one to be too chunky also.

I will reiterate that it looks like you put a Para2 in the drier and shrunk it. They didn't change anything about it other than the dimensions. I think that the knifenews pic is photoshopped but it is pretty close to what I handled. ;) Patience my friends. :D
Thank you. I appreciate the information.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I have seen it. It is a scaled down Para2. It won't have the gap like the delica/endura and of course it will have a 50/50 choil. The Para2 is not known for a slim or small handle so if the Native5 is too chunky I would expect this one to be too chunky also.

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear, regarding the "PM3." Nothing has changed but the size! :D Perfect!

Also, that knifenews pic is definitely just a scaled down photoshopped version. The Camo pattern of the G10 is identical on both.
-Nick :bug-red
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Do you think it will be seen on the internet, here for example, before the Amsterdam meeting ?
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D