The Ozzies Are Back!! And Wire Clip Update Suggestions.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JimP

The Ozzies Are Back!! And Wire Clip Update Suggestions.

Post by JimP »

After living with an unpredictable and strict importation law for the past few years, getting the latest Spyderco (or any brand of one hand opening knife) had become difficult or very expensive in Australia and for most people non existent. As of the 15th of December 2015 Australia decided to change these laws to allow all non assisted, one hand opening knives into the country and even going so far as allowing the importation of non assisted flippers! :eek:

Well. I celebrated on the 15th buying myself a Slysz Bowie :cool: , seems like a great knife but I haven't had an opportunity to have a good play yet. One thing it did remind me of though, was how good AND not so good the wire clip is. I've got quite a few knives with the wire clip and at one stage thought it was the best clip ever. After years of extensive use with knives bought before the implementation of our old laws, I believe the wire clip could be due for a minor update.

The right angle of the clip often digs into my palm when holding a knife firmly. Whilst the retention isn't bad I think it could be slightly improved with a dip or similar in the middle of the clip, a bit like the beautiful Sebenza clip. I got excited by the whole idea and ended up making a very quick and ugly rendition of my thoughts and installed it on my Sage 2. It makes a noticeable improvement in comfort in the palm area and the dip really improves that floating finger feeling you get when using alternate grips on the original clip, t's amazing what tiny changes can make to comfort!

Anyway, expect to see more of us Ozzies around here and feel free to comment on my clip ideas :).

SpeedHoles

Re: The Ozzies Are Back!! And Wire Clip Update Suggestions.

Post by SpeedHoles »

Whoooooohoooooo! Celebrate!

I'm glad for all my friends down under! Spread the Spydie love! That is great to hear!

Is this going to be like a new National Holiday? :D

And that clip does look like it may solve the slight free play area of a knife in pocket with metal handle - sometimes likes to float up just a bit.
Nice contour for in-hand as well. :)
Going back to Caly.
JimP

Post by JimP »

Ha ha, thanks mate, I think I'm going to need a national holiday after all the google searching I've been doing on the latest Spydies...hang on! Australia Day 26th of Jan, yippee!

Thanks for the comments on the clip, I agree with your points...:D
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That's incredible! I'm very happy for you and all of Australia.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

Mantra coming my way, hopefully.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I'm glad for you guys ! Spread the good news.
JimP

Post by JimP »

Thanks LC and elena! The Ozzy knife community are pretty happy right now but the pollies do change their minds a lot...so I'm making hay while the sun shines :D
SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:Mantra coming my way, hopefully.
Jeez, I came here to get away from you blokes... :rolleyes: :p , Mantra is only pre order right? I don't want to miss out on one of them!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Congrats and a fine knife and relaxed import laws!

I followed the anticipation over at ABF for the last 6 months or so, and I was quite surprised (in a good way) to see this become a reality. There's a bit of a feeding frenzy in Aus at the moment eh? :D
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

JimP wrote:Mantra is only pre order right? I don't want to miss out on one of them!

Some Mantras have shipped. Low quantities so far, but they are available, both 1 and 2!
Going back to Caly.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jim,

Congrats on the new knife and the new law.

I would like to point out that Mr. Michael Yates of Zen in Sydney has been very instrumental in changes to the law. He's been making numerous trips to Canbarra regularly to work with customs since the law changed.

Zen is our distributor in OZ and he's been with us longer than any other distributor (since '89).

sal
JimP

Post by JimP »

Brock O Lee wrote:Congrats and a fine knife and relaxed import laws!

I followed the anticipation over at ABF for the last 6 months or so, and I was quite surprised (in a good way) to see this become a reality. There's a bit of a feeding frenzy in Aus at the moment eh? :D
Thanks! We were all pleasantly surprised as it was also put forward by a few months and feeding frenzy could be an understatement :eek:
SpeedHoles wrote:
JimP wrote:Mantra is only pre order right? I don't want to miss out on one of them!
Some Mantras have shipped. Low quantities so far, but they are available, both 1 and 2!
Well that's just great...looks like I'm going to be stuck on the internet all afternoon looking for one now..., thanks for the heads up :D
sal wrote:Hi Jim,

Congrats on the new knife and the new law.

I would like to point out that Mr. Michael Yates of Zen in Sydney has been very instrumental in changes to the law. He's been making numerous trips to Canbarra regularly to work with customs since the law changed.

Zen is our distributor in OZ and he's been with us longer than any other distributor (since '89).

sal
Thanks Sal. I knew a lot was going on behind the scenes but wasn't always aware of the who and the how, got to give credit where credits due, a big thanks to Michael for his important role! :spyder:
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Congrats, Jim! Looks like the Lucky Country finally got some well-deserved good luck. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Good to hear that ridiculous restrictions are being rescinded!
They happen to be my pet peeve and I'm glad you celebrated by ordering a knife which may have been difficult to import beforehand!

Cheers,
skatenut